News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

charger '68 or '69 or '70

Started by sound5262, February 01, 2009, 02:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sound5262

i'm looking for one of the above models in good shape. what is the basic differince between these models i should be looking for. i really like the rear end of the '68 and am leaning toward that model. any help would be appreciated. thanks, steve

resq302

Basic difference is the grille, bumpers, rear ends (tail light areas) and interiors have slight differences.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Dans 68

If you're leaning towards a '68 then get one. The basic differences between the years are as resq302 said, but the newer models ('69 & '70) have more choices as far as options. Treither (sic) way you go you will do well.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

PocketThunder

Buy the one that is most complete and has the least rust!
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Hemidog

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 02, 2009, 12:57:29 PM
:iagree: And pray that it is a 68!  ;D

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Hemidog on February 02, 2009, 01:03:13 PM
Yeah, that way there is a less chance of it getting stolen, compared to the demand for the beautiful look and power of a 69.   :nana:
Here we go, let the 68/69/70 comments begin. :icon_smile_wink:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Belgium R/T -68

Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Mike DC

1968s and 1969s are much more alike than the 1970s, if you count the raw number of interchangeable pieces.  The 1970s might be judged to appear more like the 1969s than the 1968s do, but that's mainly just from the taillight areas that they share.  (The 1970 Chargers have the ENTIRE front clip as a bunch of one-year-only parts.  The fenders, hood, bumper, grille, valance, etc.  The whole dash assembly is also a 1970-only deal.)

The 1968/69s have more aftermarket support. 

The 1970s have some other improvements/changes.  The higher-backed 1970 front bucket seats were a much needed improvement over the 1968/69 stuff.  They also switched to electric(rather than vaccum-operated) headlight doors.  And the ignition key moved into the steering column (from the dashboard) that year.

--------------------------------------------------------

In terms of performance, all three years were virtually the same.  The options that were availiable did vary some, but a given motor & tranny combo drove about the same in all three model-years.

The R/T package was a bunch of bolt-on improvements in addition to the 440 or Hemi motor.  It's worth money as a collectible (serial numbers, etc). 

But you do not need to spend the money for an R/T if the collectibility is not a concern to you and you just want a fun hi-po street cruiser.  The bare chassis & loadbearing parts were all the same from the R/Ts and the base model cars, and even the bolt-on differences were nothing major.  (Spring rates, brake setups, fuel line size, etc.) 

The factory did indeed use a reinforced platform on the Hemi (and sometimes the stick-shifted 440) cars.  But that stuff is not a huge deal either.  It's essentially just a few welded on plates they added at the assembly line.  They basically added the factory's convertible-type chassis braces onto the non-convertible Hemi cars.  Nowadays it's easy to buy the additional bracing parts (which are affordably reproduced) and have them welded onto a non-Hemi chassis. 

oldgold69

i had a 68 and have a 69  the 68 dash has the same kind of texture as a 66 67  if i remember right  didn't like the upholtery pattern in the 68   i liked the little sidemakers on the 68  but it's your car and your choice  i prefer the 69  :Twocents:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 02, 2009, 01:12:25 PM
Yeah, that way there is a less chance of it getting stolen, compared to the demand for the beautiful look and power of a 69.   :nana:

Shut up Rob!!!  :nana:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1hot68 on February 03, 2009, 10:10:57 AM

For now, all bases for '68/'69 & '70 are covered in my garage...........  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69 charger 500

i say go for 68 or 69 they are both beautiful and strong but i would soooo go for the 69 they are the best of second gen then 68 then 70 you all can say what you want im stickin with my opinion :coolgleamA:

Mean 318

WingCharger

I pick '70 myself. Sweet front end that will eat you if you get close ( :D), six pack, Pistol Grip, High Back Buckets, and a third trim level. :nana:
The only thing I wish '70s had was a Plymouth style air grabber. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Just my :Twocents:.

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

69rtse4spd

Love the 69s, just fits together so well. ;D :naughty:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: WingCharger on February 03, 2009, 07:12:55 PM
I pick '70 myself. Sweet front end that will eat you if you get close ( :D), six pack, Pistol Grip, High Back Buckets, and a third trim level. :nana:
The only thing I wish '70s had was a Plymouth style air grabber. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

If you would pick a 70......Why inst youre "pro touring dream" a 70????  Hint : youre avitar.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

WingCharger

Quote from: 1hot68 on February 03, 2009, 08:25:08 PM
Quote from: WingCharger on February 03, 2009, 07:12:55 PM

If you would pick a 70......Why inst youre "pro touring dream" a 70????  Hint : youre avitar.
I took what i found. :icon_smile_big:
I can't pick a choice between '69 and '70. '70s look better built a certain way, and '69s look better built another way. :icon_smile_big:
I won't get into details. :D But a hint, what am I dreaming of building? Look below. :D

WingCharger

Please Note, this is why '70s were listed by me...

pettyfan43

I prefer the 69 car myself, but there isn't a loser in the bunch and I wouldn't turn my nose up at ANY of them.

:Twocents:

resq302

wingcharger,

Just curious, how many times have you had to replace those oil filters from taking a hit to a stone or something?  Seems like a poor placement for that to subject it to debris.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Hemidog

Quote from: resq302 on February 03, 2009, 10:09:48 PM
wingcharger,

Just curious, how many times have you had to replace those oil filters from taking a hit to a stone or something?  Seems like a poor placement for that to subject it to debris.
that's not his car, that's a norwegian guy that threw out his 383, and replaced it with a viper engine.
http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=5987

And I think he's moving the oil filters.

Finn

68 for the win!
:D
70 is my second choice since it was the year of the first charger I ever remember seeing in person. No worries though, Ive got love for the 69 as well. :icon_smile_cool:

And third gens and first gens...

And Roadrunners...

And Demons...

And Coronets...

and the neglected mustang and camaro in my neighbor but we dont talk about them  ;D.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Dodge Don

Go 70 all the way!

Rarer, all the must have options and the classic 2nd gen body.  :2thumbs:

Blakcharger440

Quote from: Dodge Don on February 04, 2009, 05:59:58 AM
Go 70 all the way!

Rarer, all the must have options and the classic 2nd gen body.  :2thumbs:

Yep,1970 for me too. You cant beat the High Impact Colors and updated options.

WingCharger

Quote from: Hemidog on February 04, 2009, 03:16:07 AM
Quote from: resq302 on February 03, 2009, 10:09:48 PM
wingcharger,

that's not his car, that's a norwegian guy that threw out his 383, and replaced it with a viper engine.
http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=5987

And I think he's moving the oil filters.
I WISH THAT WAS MY CAR!!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

I like how he put the SRT10 truck Dash, Pedals, and Steering Setup into the car. :yesnod:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on February 03, 2009, 10:10:57 AM

:blahblah:   Ah, no.  :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

WingCharger

QuoteThis thread has been read 440 times.

:icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Rigs

Hi Steve,
     I'm with you,68 is my favorite,but followed closely by 69's.I had a 318 68 charger,looking for another one soon.69's in second because of the loaded 69 R/T SE my older brother had.For you,and myself,it would be best to find one running/driving fairly clean.Spend a little more initially,you won't regret it.It makes it much easier when it is all together,running,and not a basket case,if your pocket allows you.
     Secondly,try to find a Cali car,as me and my brothers were Cali cars,they were very clean,just seened to get  rusty on the trunk floors(probably from leaking water).I just moved from there,brother is still there,don't speak with him much(family issues).But if I found an R/T SE ,I would like that because my brothers was real nice,it was a power disc brake car,A/C,power windows,even had the AM 8 track w/3 speaker dash!Don't remember the paint code ,but was a pale yellow,pretty nice,but could see why the new owners(5-10 years ago)painted it a diff color he said.He hated to get rid of it ,so for memorabilia,he kept the fender tag off it(I would never do that ),and as we don't talk,I watch his E-bay account to see what he is up to,and saw he recently sold that tag!
  Anyway,good luck with your search as well as mine!!

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Rigs on February 04, 2009, 10:35:41 PM
Don't remember the paint code ,but was a pale yellow,pretty nice,but could see why the new owners(5-10 years ago)painted it a diff color he said.He hated to get rid of it ,so for memorabilia,he kept the fender tag off it(I would never do that ),and as we don't talk,I watch his E-bay account to see what he is up to,and saw he recently sold that tag!

1969chargerrtse, sound familiar?

nakita7

Tough call, I like all 3 of them almost equally (slight preference to 69), but the 70 had the cool colours in my opinion, if you like impact colours like I do!

bull

I like all three but prefer the '68. While a lot of guys will say the '69 and '70 had more options that's a bit of a misnomer in that the base model '68s came stock with more standard features. The '69 base models came with more than the '70s which were a very stripped down base model by comparison, however there were a lot more color choices, engine choices, etc., on the '70s when it came to add-ons.

The '68s are assumed to be more plentiful than the '69 or '70 because they made more of them so you might have better luck fiding one by comparison. When I was shopping for one I wanted a '68 and that's what I found most of locally. I don't think I ever saw a '70 for sale locally when I was looking to buy. As far as price I'd say all three are going to be about even. Parts availability? Probably pretty even too although I tend to think there are more reproduction parts for the '68 and '69 than the '70 but I'm not positive.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 04, 2009, 11:39:25 PM
Don't remember the paint code ,but was a pale yellow,pretty nice,but could see why the new owners(5-10 years ago)painted it a diff color he said.He hated to get rid of it ,so for memorabilia,he kept the fender tag off it(I would never do that ),and as we don't talk,I watch his E-bay account to see what he is up to,and saw he recently sold that tag!

Yeah, but 40 years later who knows what happened to my tag?

BB1

That would be the last place I would put screw on oil filters.  :coocoo:

Oil the track please, why yes I can.  ;)
I like the color for some reason.

Quote from: WingCharger on February 03, 2009, 08:32:44 PM

Delete my profile

sound5262

thanks, to riggs and bull, i appreciate the comments. i think if i get a car it will be a '68. sorry @ your family issues, you surtainly are not alone in that regard. family can be such a pain in the ass. i agree @ a running car and one that is good shape. i don't work on cars much, just not my thing. again thanks guys, steve

tan top

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 05, 2009, 06:23:00 AM
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 04, 2009, 11:39:25 PM

Yeah, but 40 years later who knows what happened to my tag?

intresting  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

mally69

All 3 years are JUNK....    :smilielol:  Im just kidding. I ended up buying a 69 first becuase of the tail lights and after finishing the 69 i bought a 68 becuase of the grill  design and the side markers. Might as well save up and have all 3 years.  :cheers: ;)

Joshua

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 03, 2009, 05:11:54 AM

The 1970s have some other improvements/changes.  The higher-backed 1970 front bucket seats were a much needed improvement over the 1968/69 stuff.  They also switched to electric(rather than vaccum-operated) headlight doors.  And the ignition key moved into the steering column (from the dashboard) that year.

I wouldn't call those improvements......especially the headlight doors.... :smilielol:

WingCharger

Quote from: BB1 on February 05, 2009, 07:50:34 AM
That would be the last place I would put screw on oil filters.  :coocoo:

Oil the track please, why yes I can.  ;)
I like the color for some reason.

Quote from: WingCharger on February 03, 2009, 08:32:44 PM

I think it gives the look of "All Mechanical" or "No Where Else To Put Them. Too Big A Engine." :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I don't mind the filters myself. :coolgleamA:
I like everything about that car. Interior, Paint, Wheels, Engine, etc. :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: