News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Certain User + Parts Question

Started by G-man, February 05, 2009, 10:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-man

Hi

ON photobucket there is a user called COLD85 with a beautiful 68 Charger... is he a member here?

If he is maybe he can answer this question and you guys also can.

I just got myself a parts list on what I need to order by next week for my 1968 Dodge Charger.

4 Ball Joints
4 Tie Rod ends
1 pitman arm
1 idler arm
0.96" T-bars (Mopar performance)
Super Stock Springs + shackles + Polyurethane bushings
1.125 (1 1/8th) Front Sway bar with Polyurethane D links/bushes etc.
Upper and lower control arm bushings (polyurethane)
Strut rod bushes (Polyurethane)
70/30 custom valved Bilstein Shocks

Basically my car will be built as a street/strip car.

What I want to know is... Idler arm has bushings, i heard that the poly ones will squeak and therefor should use rubber for a street/strip setup. Is that right?

What about the rest of the stuff I mentioned in Poly, good or bad for the intended purpose?

I want the car to be solid, and I want the weight transfer to happen and not be hindered. So is this good going with poly or not? What do drag cars run?

Hope smeone replies ASAP

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

G-man

read it all... either I dont get it or nothing there really related in any depth to what I asked here...  :shruggy:

Thanks though... hopefully more people will chime in for me.

Foreman72

Poly/rubber is a long debate that's been done over and over again.
I'm more of a fan of rubber ones, but poly has its place.  I just think poly gets overused lately.
From that thread...

I will make three comments about it:

1.  Remember that 40yo worn out rubber bushings are no indication of what brand new stock rubber bushings would feel like.  You don't need to switch to poly just to get anything stiffer than you currently have.

2.  There's nothing wrong with running a mixture of poly and rubber in different places.

3.  The LCA-to-Kframe bushing is particularly important to the car.  This is the LAST bushing that I would convert to poly over stock rubber.  The metal K-frame mounting hole/tube for the LCA can sometimes start to tear out after 40 years, even with softer rubber bushings in that spot.  Check that metal area in the K-frame for cracks when you have the car apart.
Poly is longer-lasting and stiffer.

But that's not always good.  The factory was thinking of the impact-absorbing cushioning of the rubber when they designed the suspensions of these cars.  It's just like harsher springs & shocks:  Stiffen up the "soft" stuff, and it'll also transfer more of the load to the hard parts of the car.  The control arms, the suspension mounts, even the whole unibody's flex.  Just something to think about.

(Remember the K-frame weakness point I brought up?  Yeah.  Poly ain't helping stuff like that.)

Poly also is prone to a squeaking problem.  Some people get this bad, others don't, some companies making poly parts make it worse than others (graphite impregnation was done into the poly to fight this), etc.  And the problem usually takes a few thousand miles to show up so bear that in mind when getting feedback on a poly setup from someone.  Ask several guys about it and you'll probably get several answers.

The real cause of this is that polyurethane does not give in twisting directions like rubber does.

When the modern factories use poly in certain places, they're sometimes incorporating steel sleeves into the bushing setups to take this twisting force issue into account.  But this isn't a feasible thing to do when you're talking about old musclecar restorations.  Guys like us are dealing with fitting poly bushings into the same holes that were designed for rubber bushings 40 years ago.  We don't have the luxury of redesigning the whole pivot point around the polyurethane joint like the modern factories do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

G-man

Yes I read that... but, does that say "no you shouldnt go poly for your intended application" or I should?

Polyurethane, Polygraphite etc... Im confused!

Foreman72

sorry man  :shruggy: ...thats just what hit my mind when u said poly...
Eric "Foreman"

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander