News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Enough C500 vs 'dega... King Cobra or G series wing cars?

Started by pettybird, February 09, 2009, 07:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

since we've inexplicably turned toward 3G wing cars again... it's almost as bad as Duktonas...

how far along did the development work go as far as speed calculations?  would the swoopy front end and box style intake for the BOSS reclaim superspeedway dominance from Mopar's wing things? 

Ghoste

Hmm, good question.  The stuff Ford was getting ready to do looked pretty swoopy but I think the aero nod would have to go to Chrysler.  I think they were getting the leg up on the development part of it.  Of course, the Boss 429 may not have hit it's full stride yet either so who's to say they wouldn't have found a lot more power there to let them drive away from the Hemi's.
It's too bad they never got to take it to the next level.

Aero426

The Chrysler stuff was pretty far ahead because of all the 3/8 scale work they did in the wind tunnel.   

Keep in mind that the King Cobra was DEAD internally within Ford as of September 1, 1969.   So other than some very basic track work in full scale in August, that was all they were able to do before management killed the program.    The KC prototype was a designed by stylists, not aerodynamicists.

That said, it would have been very expensive for either project to have bested the 1969-70 cars which would have been eligible to run through 1971-72.   The optimized Chrysler cars would have looked nothing like the full scale G-series cars built in the last several years.    They would need major mods to the roof area including front and rear glass.   By comparison all five Aero cars as built had cheap Band Aid modifications.

arrow

Quote from: DougSchellinger on February 09, 2009, 08:02:58 PM
The Chrysler stuff was pretty far ahead because of all the 3/8 scale work they did in the wind tunnel.   

Keep in mind that the King Cobra was DEAD internally within Ford as of September 1, 1969.   So other than some very basic track work in full scale in August, that was all they were able to do before management killed the program.    The KC prototype was a designed by stylists, not aerodynamicists.

That said, it would have been very expensive for either project to have bested the 1969-70 cars which would have been eligible to run through 1971-72.   The optimized Chrysler cars would have looked nothing like the full scale G-series cars built in the last several years.    They would need major mods to the roof area including front and rear glass.   By comparison all five Aero cars as built had cheap Band Aid modifications.

Doug , do you have a pic of the areo rear glass that "one "? of the King Cobra 's has . all of the pics I have seen never show the rear glass

Ghoste

But Doug, let's assume it wasn't dead and that development proceeded normally on the next group of aero cars, now where would you place them?

Aero426

Quote from: arrow on February 10, 2009, 12:44:05 AM
Doug , do you have a pic of the areo rear glass that "one "? of the King Cobra 's has . all of the pics I have seen never show the rear glass

Jack Bowsher's car in the background has the bubbled rear glass on a standard body '71 Torino.

arrow

Quote from: DougSchellinger on February 10, 2009, 11:57:28 AM
Quote from: arrow on February 10, 2009, 12:44:05 AM

Jack Bowsher's car in the background has the bubbled rear glass on a standard body '71 Torino.

Thanks !