News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to adjust Hydraulic lifters ( Updated, good info found )

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 13, 2009, 05:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

400/6/PAC

I have about 500 miles on My motor now and I am hearing a tapping sound from the left side.
I have a 400 BB with Hydraulic cam and lifters.
I was wondering, What is the best way to check and adjust the lifters.
I was told that these are self adjusting and to just tighten them a little until the motor bogs down and it would adjust itself :shruggy:
Than move to the next one and so on.
Is this right?
What is the best way to adjust.
Thanks

John_Kunkel

I assume you have adjustable rocker arms.

Be sure the lifter to be adjusted is on the heel of the  cam lobe, loosen the adjuster until the pushrod spins freely then tighten the adjuster until the the pushrod spins but not as freely as when starting, then tighten another 1/2 to 3/4 turn. This will preload the lifter .020"-.030". 
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

400/6/PAC

Yes, They have the nut on the rockers for adjusting.
Thanks.

ACUDANUT

Good question, I am interested because I have always just used the factory type.

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

400/6/PAC

OK, So I found this info from a 1983 book that Mopar put out called Mopar direct.
There were only two production cars that used the adjustable rockers with the Hydraulic cam.
1970 T/A 340 6BBL and the 1970-71 Hemi.
If adjustable rocker arms are used with a Hydraulic camshaft, A special procedure for adjusting them must be used.
Unlike the Mechanical valve lash setting that is set about .030" The Hydraulic rockers start with no clearance, ( zero lash ).
This is how You would adjust the rockers.
Loosen the lock nut. Using a 3/16 Allen wench, Back the Adjusting screw out until the rocker has play up and down.
Turn the Allen screw back in until there is no up and down movement on the rocker. ( You can feel Resistance on the screw ).
This is zero lash.
Turn the Allen screw exactly 1-1/2 turn in and the rocker is adjusted.
Hold the Allen screw and tighten the lock nut.
The proper order must be followed.
Start # 1 on TDC ( Firing ) Than adjust one Intake and one Exhaust.
Rotate 90 degrees and repeat until all valves are adjusted.
This is the order.
TDC #2 IN - #8 EX
270 #1 IN - #4 EX
180 #8 IN - #3 EX
90 # 4 IN - # 6 EX
TDC #3 IN - # 5 EX
270 # 6 IN - # 7 EX
180 # 5 IN - # 2 EX
90 # 7 IN - # 1 EX
Many people say that You must use adjustable rockers with Hydraulic camshafts but it is not the design of the cam that requires this.
The 426 Hemi and the W2 A 9( Also T/A ) engine are unique because they do not have stamped rockers available for a full Hydraulic system.
On the other hand mechanical rockers may be added to the Hydraulic cam package with no harm.
The only problem arises if the head, block ext.Have been milled extensively or some designs of anti pump up lifters are used which effectively make the push rods the wrong length.
The adjustable rockers can sometimes solve this problem but new pushrods must be obtained.

Bobs69

If I may jump in.  If I have the stock rocker assembly where they are all on one long shaft I am out of luck?  Or should they be adjusted after some miles have  been logged.

Ghoste

Only if you have adjustable rocker arms.  If yours is stock then it will be non-adjustable.