News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oldcarnut's Superbird Clone

Started by oldcarnut, February 14, 2009, 12:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

Quote from: FJ5WING on March 22, 2009, 05:32:03 PM
the keys dont go in the deck lid on 70's.

I was always led to believe the reason for the stops was the wing/lid clearence, iv only recently heard about clearence around the window. it dosent look like it would make a difference, but then again the lid cleared the wing too in posted pic. :shruggy:
i have nostops on my lid , have pintched my fingers a couple times between the lid and the wing ,now I hold the latch loop when opening it
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

Quote from: FJ5WING on March 22, 2009, 05:32:03 PM
the keys dont go in the deck lid on 70's.

I was always led to believe the reason for the stops was the wing/lid clearence, iv only recently heard about clearence around the window. it dosent look like it would make a difference, but then again the lid cleared the wing too in posted pic. :shruggy:

I guess that's why I never had a problem with the keys being left in on the 70. It would definitely be a problem on the 69's. If I ever forget to remove them, I better have an extra set because they're definitely going to be bent or broken. Not to mention the damage it will do to the wing.

Never thought about this, but would an original, un-altered deck lid hit the wing on a Daytona?

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

learical1

Would somebody who owns a SuperBird please open the trunk, take a picture of the open decklid/back window plug clearance, and post it up here?  Yeah, I know I sold my last 'Bird 26 years ago, but I'm not kidding, without the stops, the deck lid will contact the plug, and something is getting damaged. :brickwall:
Bruce

Hemi_tyme

Quote from: learical1 on March 22, 2009, 09:12:46 PM
Would somebody who owns a SuperBird please open the trunk, take a picture of the open decklid/back window plug clearance, and post it up here?  Yeah, I know I sold my last 'Bird 26 years ago, but I'm not kidding, without the stops, the deck lid will contact the plug, and something is getting damaged. :brickwall:
There's NO WAY THAT THE DECKLID WILL EVER HIT THE WINDOW PLUG WITH OR WITHOUT THE STOPS ON A SUPERBIRD!! The stops are there to keep your hands from getting wedged or smashed between the decklid and the wing as you open it. Ken

oldcarnut

Not mine but a pic I saved from one from somewhere.  Is this what your wanting?

FJ5WING

I went and took some pics in three stages of opening the deck lid and it actually gets farther away from the plug as it opens.

wingless now, but still around.

learical1

FJ5 WING has the right idea with his photos.  Now, look at a fully opened 70 roadrunner deck lid from the same angle. 
Bruce

oldcarnut

Here's mine wide open.  Speaking of trunks, look what I have to pull out and sort through to get rid of in it  :eek2:.

GeneralLeeTESH

Cool ! Hang in there-and BE persistent ! What a lucky man you are ! The General Approves !!!    :laugh: :scratchchin:
The TESH

learical1

OK, now look at the last picture FJ5WING posted and the first of the two oldcarnut just posted.  Tell me you wouldn't get two puncture wounds in the plug or two bent ears on the decklid without the stops!
Bruce

Hemi_tyme

Hey learical1, I did a little more investigation on this subject today at the shop. I took a measurement from my 70 GTX with the trunk opened and 1 from my Superbird . As far as I can tell without having an extra plug to lay in the GTX's opening or removing the stops from my bird, There's still 3/8" -1/2" clearance between the trunk corners and the plug. BUT it's defiantly closer that I thought. Ken

pettybird

Glen Peters' Petty repliracer didn't have the stops--it was a real bird but was rusted badly and needed a TON of metal replaced.  his didn't hit. 

learical1

If Pettybird saw a stopless plugged 'Bird that cleared the plug, I'll stop spreading the rumor.  Mind you, I'd like to see it for myself, but I'll quit passing possibly bad info as fact.
Bruce

talkiemopar

The stops were there ,they were just put in sideways instead of up and down .I have seen two of these . :Twocents: Rick

pettybird

Quote from: talkiemopar on March 24, 2009, 08:21:22 AM

The stops were there ,they were just put in sideways instead of up and down .I have seen two of these . :Twocents: Rick

nice.  did the stops do anything, or were they just there?  like, did they stop, just further up, or were they in a position where they were useless?

talkiemopar

The trunk lid went up till it hit the sideways stops and it was well past the wing .That is why we looked at it to start with . :popcrn: Rick

moparstuart

it's much better without stops, easy to get stuff in the trunk
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

oldcarnut

The time has flown by since March when I last messed with the wing.  I took it off to do some other things and clear the trunk and now it's 6 months later.  During that time though I have replaced the gas tank, exhaust system, shocks, tranny seals, and some other mechanical things while trying to get some time in for it.  Put the braces on this weekend.  The wing washers were not smooth on the top so I laid out some filler (pic) on it then bolted it up to squeeze it to the qtr panel contour for a better fit.  Didn't want it sticking to the qtr. so I put some alum foil on the qtr, a little grease on the threads, and it seemed to work pretty good.  Took it back off to clean and trim it up and check the fit and it was a much more solid feeling. Took off the foil and then installed 1/4" dowels in the uprights for center stops and ran a cable through the wing.

oldcarnut

The wing setup is really stiff.  Doesn't flex at all when pulling on it.  I'll take it down the highway later to see how it does.

oldcarnut

Pulled up the carpet for a look.  They're in good shape.

oldcarnut

Had some fun driving around with just the wing and watching the expressions on people.  Noticed the temps were starting to run higher so a new extreme service fan clutch was ordered as the original was going bad.  While it was off I did the bypass rewiring of the headlights with the relays page 3 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,168.40.html which led to just going to check the rest of the wires out.  Out came the dash and heater box too http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,60777.0.html
Here's a few pics of the heater box redo before and after.

oldcarnut

A couple more and while I was at it, I redid the controls and cables.  The bright spot is from the camera flash.

1969chargerrtse

:o  Wow, great deatil work.  How did you do the letters so perfect on the heater controls?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

oldcarnut

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 13, 2009, 06:42:24 AM
:o  Wow, great deatil work.  How did you do the letters so perfect on the heater controls?
Thanks.  On the Fan and Temp since they were worn some and more of a "fill in" instead of "raised" type I used a combination of a razor blade and a very small Jewelers thin blade screw driver to apply the paint.  Took several times of applying, slight drying, wiping/trimming, and added a little more until I was satisfied.  The control section I did with a small tight pointed artist brush from Walmart.  Both the blades and pointed brush helped a lot to keep from running over the letter edges and I used a desk mounted magnifier glass to paint it under.  The ole eyes aren't what they used to be.  For such a small area to cover it took me awhile.  When I convert the car to A/C next year I guess someone will be able to get a reconded heater system if they need one.

superbirdtom