News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oldcarnut's Superbird Clone

Started by oldcarnut, February 14, 2009, 12:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

Thanks Nascar. 
After I got the buckets together and bolted in the nose I worked on the Z Brackets and the fit in the nose support brackets.  There was a lot of room for error to get the alignment off which would affect the other pieces attaching to them also.  The Z brackets had marked places to cut slots and holes in them but the nose support brackets didn't have any which left me wondering just where or how far in to put place the brackets and the corresponding bolts holes.  Mike (Dayclona) advised to make sure I left a gap between the top of the Z and the nosecone surface so that any future heat warpage or shrinking wouldn't distort the cone surface.  He also hooked me up with the special thin head bolts  :cheers: I'm glad he mentioned that because I hadn't thought about it occurring.  I used some thick cardboard and foam rubber to maintain a gap.  Long story short of trial and error, I ended up cutting and attaching the rest of the parts (latch tray and metal frame brackets) all together with the cone for a mock fit.  After I thought it looked about right and with clearance, I drilled the lower support locations. 

oldcarnut

The first real assembly issue I ran into was that the Z Brackets did not fit flush against both the lower supports and the bucket sides.  I had a big ¼" gap between the Z side and lower support which would have caused twisting or stressing if bolted up tight.  One side was off more than the other.  It wasn't anything I had done but the location of the lower support was not in the right place.  I think with the glass parts thickness stacking up and not being compensated for, it moves where the sides end up verses where it would be with stock thinner sheet metal.  Other cloners mentioned they had this same problem with their fiberglass noses.  A couple pics of the gaps.  1st pic shows one side gap.  2nd & 3rd shows the shims I made to make it even and use for extra supports to put on both sides of the brackets to stiffen things up and support.  I did this to both sides and it made a big difference. 

oldcarnut

Nest thing I did to the Z Brackets for some strengthening was add some about 1/16 "stainless sheet metal to the insides.  Also another view of the lower support bracing.  

oldcarnut

Well with everything bolted up and aligned, it was time to figure out the light movement.  A friend of mine gave me an electric motor from an 86 Porsche 944.  They used only one motor for both lights and also had springs on the linkages to overcome so I figured it would be plenty strong enough to work mine especially with the leverage I built in and no springs.  I fabbed up the linkages I needed to join both together and made adjustments to get the stop positions good.  The motor stops are set in the motor and nonadjustable so I had to build the linkages to do it.  The motor also has a knob on the back for manual operation.  I just got to find where I set it down.  I'll access it through the bottom sheet metal if it fails one day.  Here's a few pics of the linkage.  Tested it out and it works great.  Hopefully this weekend I can the light harness extension done and motor wired in to work off the switch.  I posted this video on another thread but will have a better one when completed.  Give it about 10secs to start showing the motor working
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkabXG8tDlQ

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Charger-Bodie

I really like the way you did the headlight motor...... Very smoooth operation. If I hadnt already set mine up for the factory stuff I would have likely been bugging you for stuff to do it that way.  Great job!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

oldcarnut

Thanks all! Best benefit was since I made my own parts that the whole setup was cost free made from scrapped alum,  donated rod ends and motor  :icon_smile_big:  I just hope it ends up working out on the long haul but I see no reason for it not too.

billssuperbird

BigBlockSam

i've seen other electric lights  but yours seem to go up and down effortlessly  :2thumbs:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Old Moparz

Dave, they work great, nice job.   :cheers:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

randr

I'm Bored! what to do next......

oldcarnut

Quote from: randr on October 11, 2010, 07:55:55 PM
Im doing this can i copy ya?
Sure why not  :yesnod:  Thats part of the benefit of sharing ideas.  Have any detail questions feel free to send me a pm
David

dreamcatcher

Wow with all olur clones out there..pretty soon there will be more S birds than mustangs  :smilielol:
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

moparstuart

Quote from: dreamcatcher on October 12, 2010, 07:32:50 AM
Wow with all olur clones out there..pretty soon there will be more S birds than mustangs  :smilielol:
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

oldcarnut

Its been about 4 months since I last posted so a little progress report.  Unfortunately it's just that-a little-as not much time has been available to do any work on it.  My engine machine work has been completed and 90% of the parts delivered.  My restored 6 pack carbs should be arriving in the next week or so and Jamey (RD) is finishing up my tranny.  The Ebay fender I bought from someone in Ohio hopefully will be here in a few weeks when they come down for vacation at Hilton Head. I started fabbing up my stainless dash and nose trim.  Posted the rough cut 11g. (1/8") pics so I could show a before and after when it's done.  I have almost finished the glove box piece but it's currently on a trip to hopefully get autographed  :icon_smile_cool: .  After a seemingly long wait it seems like things are slowly coming back together around the same time. I started selling off some extra and non needed stuff on Ebay to generate some funding and made a good score on an old Cobra Accelerometer I had since a teen.  Gonna post some wants for some more items I need and trades shortly in the classifieds like the new 69 dash pieces I can't use, a set of dog dishes, and some other things.  My directions with this project has turned and twisted in its creation as I go so I guess I will not be able to call it a clone but maybe a custom tribute :lol:

pettybird

it's like 10 degrees here and we're covered in snow, but if someone wants the wiper motor out of my 944 parts car they can have it for shipping cost (like $12).  Just don't expect it anytime in the next week or two.

pettybird

waitaminute... it's FREE but you have to fetch it at my national meet!   :o

oldcarnut

Quote from: pettybird on February 02, 2011, 11:16:07 PM
it's like 10 degrees here and we're covered in snow, but if someone wants the wiper motor out of my 944 parts car they can have it for shipping cost (like $12).  Just don't expect it anytime in the next week or two.

Did you mean the headlights motor when you said wiper motor?  Today we had 76* and it was nice outside  :2thumbs:.  Tomorrow its back to the 30 and 40's  :'(.

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on February 02, 2011, 11:19:37 PM
waitaminute... it's FREE but you have to fetch it at my national meet!   :o
I'll pick it up with my polara hub caps

oldcarnut

Getting a little more done on the dash piece.  Still collecting parts for the engine build.  I've gone way past on my motor budget what I intended to do so I hope it turns out worth it.

Old Moparz

I really like the stainless dash, it came out nice.  :cheers:

Not trying to derail the thread, but a while back I had a bunch of issues with a GE refrigerator. It's one of the barn door models with the freezer on the bottom, & it's stainless. I had door alignment problems that was finally resolved by GE sending me doors & doors, & more doors, until a set finally fit. They didn't want the old doors back, so now I have like 6 extra doors.

I'm trying to remove the flat stainless face from the rest of the door without damage to salvage the large sheet to do the same thing, make a dash trim set.  :lol:

If the one door is enough to make a dash set, & I don't ruin it, I'll be willing to send whoever else wants a door for just the shipping fees. It's already packed in a cardboard box.  :Twocents:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

oldcarnut

I still have some surface finish sanding to do on it after I drill some more holes for the gage programmers, indicator lights, and countersinking the mount holes.  I'm glad I bought the special clear coat paint to put on it as it will show up finger prints if I don't.  The panel is 1/8" thick so I could weld on the backside parts.  I had it cut out on a waterjet machine so if something ever happens to it at least I can get them to pop out another.  Its amazing how fast them machines slice through it like butter. I have a lot of 304 stainless sheetmetal in the garage that I got for super cheap so that's why a lot of my misc. stuff is made from it instead of regular steel. My glove box piece is still out on the road to be signed.  The radio plate will have to be done after I figure what kind of radio I buy for it.  I had to send my piston rods back for reworking the resizing on them.  Before he presses them on the new pistons again I told him I want to send the rotating assy off to be balanced.  My goal this weekend is to get the dash plate finished, cam brgs pressed in the block, and get a wish list inventory on what else I need to buy to complete the engine build.  First weekend in a while to be able to work on anything.

oldcarnut

In for a trial fit and slipped right in after cuting in the bottom center steering wheel clearance.