News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Charger won't stay running...PLEASE HELP!!!

Started by sixpack_sid, July 28, 2005, 10:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

First of all,  Hi to all of the guys here from dodge charger message board!!

Ok, I have a 73 Dodge Charger w/a 72 400 big block swap in it. I FINALLY got it inspected today. It ran good to the garage, but coming home IT LEFT ME STRANDED!! I gave it gas to come around a turn and it shut off on me. When I tried to start it again, it sounded like the carb was flooded. It had a REALLY hard time starting again. And I put a clear fuel filter on it-the gas was swaying up & down and bubbling like crazy! Some guy who stopped by to ask if I needed a tow said it might be a "vapor lock". After I towed it home, I left it sit awhile until the fuel stopped bubbling. It started for a little bit, but cut out again when I gave it gas. Could this be a carb problem or a vapor lock? I am psyched to ride in it again!! I only drove it for 1/2 hr. after THREE YEARS of restoring it!! It was pretty embarrassing seeing all of my neighbors watching my old lady tow me home with her minivan!!  :'(
Any suggestions?
Please help!! I'm trying to relive my youth!! :icon_smile_cool:
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Chryco Psycho

really hard to tell without being there , you need to see if fuel is boiling into the carb & flooding it , it would be a good idea test the fuel pump pressure , vacuum  & volume 

NHCharger

Check it today, see if it starts. How close is your fuel line to the headers or exhaust manifolds?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bull

Vapor lock is pretty common in hot weather, the fuel basically vaporizes before it's supposed to. But it could be due to other factors as well. Also, it's possible that your fuel line might be collapsing internally. When you punch it the carb calls for more fuel and the vacuum increases and if your fuel line is old and worn the inside of the hose may be squeezing itself together.

sixpack_sid

I tried it out this morning, and it ran fine. The fuel wasn't bubbling, seemed ok. I only ran it up & down the street for about 15 minutes--I'm afraid to go too far with it in case it shuts off again.
Is there any way to correct it if it is vapor lock?
Also, how do you check for fuel pressure? Is there a special guage or anything?
I would love to take this out on the road again!!
Thanks for all your replies!!
:icon_smile_cool:
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

NHCharger

As I mentioned above, if your fuel line is to close to your headers or exhaust manifolds it can boil your gas and cause the problems you had. I had the same problems with my 71 with a 383, wouldn't die but on a hot day it would stumble real bad after I had been sitting for a minute, like at a stop light. I moved the fuel line away from the heat source and that solved the problem. That's an easy fix so check that one first.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

I've been doing some reading about this. Are you running a Edelbrock carb?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

firefighter3931

It sounds like vapour lock to me. Try using a carb insulating gasket between the carb and intake manifold....those look like a regular carb gasket....only thicker. Blocking off the heat crossover passages helps keep the intake manifold/carb cooler. As mentioned above ; make sure your fuel lines are away from any heat sorce....this includes the block, heads, heater hoses etc...

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

sixpack_sid

-The carb is a Holly 2 bbl.
I'll try the thicker carb gasket.-Thanks!
-The fuel lines are not near the exhaust, but does run down against the block. It is metal-I can't move it-is there a way to insulate it?
Also, I don't think it's a gas problem, there was no tank when I bought it, just put one on before I started to run it.

Thanks for all your replies!
Dan

firefighter3931

Quote from: sixpack_sid on August 07, 2005, 02:33:19 PM
-The carb is a Holly 2 bbl.
I'll try the thicker carb gasket.-Thanks!
-The fuel lines are not near the exhaust, but does run down against the block. It is metal-I can't move it-is there a way to insulate it?
Also, I don't think it's a gas problem, there was no tank when I bought it, just put one on before I started to run it.

Thanks for all your replies!
Dan

Hi Dan, the metal fuel line resting against the block is most likely the source of your problem. Conductive heat transfer from metal to metal will boil the fuel before it hits the carb. Try to insulate that fuel line with a length of rubber hose, especially where it is coming in contact with the block. The carb insulating gasket will also help by reducing heat transfer from the intake manifold to the carburator. The cooler you can keep the fuel, the better the car will run.

Oh, and have fun reliving your youth !! :musik010: :punkrocka:   :drive: and keep an eye out for   :police:........... :smilielol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

tatrick2me

Take your fuel line off and take it with you to the parts store. Get yourself two hose barb fitting the same size as your fuel line fittings for 3/8" hose. Get about 4 feet of 3/8" fuel hose, and some 6" plastic ties. Now you can route the line how you want it. Rubber hose don't absorb heat like metal. Or you can slip a piece of 1/2" heater hose over your metal fuel line.
Bone 7

JPL

Could be a vac leak, go around and tighten everything, carb,  intake, bowl screws etc.