News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct carburetor??

Started by mysil bergsprekken, September 18, 2011, 06:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mysil bergsprekken

According to carburetor factory, I have an aftermarket carb. What kind of carburetor was supposed to be on a 69 charger RT?
69 charger RT

Chryco Psycho

mysil bergsprekken

So all 69 charger RT's had the carter AVS?

I have the carburetor with the numbers inscription 9635SA    0223, I believe it is a carter.
What kind of carb is it? AFB?
69 charger RT

Just 6T9 CHGR

Carter AVS like Chryco stated....

4617S with 4-speed

4618S with Automatic

4640S with Automatic AND A/C
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ODZKing

mysil bergsprekken

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on September 22, 2011, 05:37:36 AM

4617S with 4-speed

4618S with Automatic

Thanks Cryco and Just 6T9 CHRGR!
Just what I needed to know.
69 charger RT

mysil bergsprekken

What about the Carter AVS 4617SA ??

Quoting "hemigeno "from (http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23912.0.html):
"Dick Katter told me that the 4617S ('69 440 w/ manual trans) carburetors changed over to 4617SA sometime in January of 1969, since the A9-dated carburetors he had on his shelf were marked SA, whereas all his 1968-dated carbs only had the "S".  This revision included several changes, such as adding adjustable idle mixture screws, etc.  Very rarely, they would have a second batch of revisions to the carburetor model, which would be denoted by an "SB" suffix.  I don't know that there are too many models that they did that with, but Mr. Katter said it was definitely possible."

So I understand that 69 charger with a manual trans could also have the 4617SA originally??
My 69 charger was buildt sometime in November of 68 I believe.
Is there a way of reading off or decoding the buildsheet an finding the specs on which carb it had?
Thanks
69 charger RT

ODZKing

Quote from: mysil bergsprekken on October 28, 2011, 07:59:23 AM
Is there a way of reading off or decoding the buildsheet an finding the specs on which carb it had?
Thanks
Yes, on your build sheet, line 4 I believe - under "carb" there will be 2 numbers.  Those are the last 2 numbers of the part number (not carb #) of the carb.
So if it was a 4617, the 2 numbers in the box will say 78 according to the chart I posted.

mysil bergsprekken

So if it was a 4617, the 2 numbers in the box will say 78 according to the chart I posted.
[/quote]
Thanks! I will have that checked when I get to my buildsheet again.
69 charger RT

tracpack440

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on September 22, 2011, 05:37:36 AM

4617S with 4-speed

4618S with Automatic

? What is the CFM for a stock 69 AVS  650 cfm  or  750 cfm
thanks
1969 Charger  R/T SE 4 spd dana

y3chargerrt

All the carbs listed are 750 cfm.

71bee

Quote from: tracpack440 on November 07, 2011, 04:04:53 AM
? What is the CFM for a stock 69 AVS  650 cfm  or  750 cfm
thanks

Carter AVS carbs came in either 625 CFM (340, 383) or 750 CFM (440). never could understand why they didn't just go with 650 CFM's on the B engines, as those new Thunder Series AVS 650 CFM models give my ol' 383 a better punch in the gut.

tracpack440

1969 Charger  R/T SE 4 spd dana

dodgedarren

The Carter AVS that came on the 68 Charger R/T is a 750cfm??? Would I be better of yanking the Holly off and putting my Carter back on???

71bee

Quote from: dodgedarren on November 10, 2011, 10:36:55 AM
The Carter AVS that came on the 68 Charger R/T is a 750cfm??? Would I be better of yanking the Holly off and putting my Carter back on???

That's a touchy subject. in answer to your 1st question: YES, the Carter AVS was introduced to Chrysler in '68 & was the carb of choice for R/T models equipped with the 440. 2nd QUESTION: depends on what your using your car for. I personally prefer the Carters for cruisin' over the Holley's. Carters (IMO) are the ultimate street carb. they are extremely easy to set up, they hold their tune forever & don't leak all over your intake after a couple of years. from what I have experienced in my years of carb building/tuning, go with the '70-'71 model AVS. the design is better than the '68-'69 carbs. ALSO: Edelbrock Thunder Series carbs are a re-make of the Carter AVS & work beautifully.

A Holley will give you more horse power in most cases, but there's a lot more tuning involved. however, once you've dialed them in, they run strong & are hard to beat @ the strip. I prefer the 4150 (double pumper) over the 4160 (vacuum secondaries) models, as they are true performers. they will suck more fuel than the Carters (unless you lean the shit out of 'em), they will leak (use the marine gaskets & it will hold up longer), & if you are using a Holley 4160 originally designed for your car, be sure to add the after-market power valve blow-out protecter.