News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radiator shot - Recommendations on aftermarket?

Started by Surf Charger, November 07, 2011, 11:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surf Charger

So I was going to have my stock radiator fixed....turns out its leaking everywhere and will end up being a $600 fix according to both radiator shops in town.

Question:

1.) Can anyone tell me which aftermarket radiator has the best fit?

Lunger

WHAT 600.00  you can buy a new one for 250.00 or less
BULL OF THE WOODS

Surf Charger

Quote from: Lunger on November 07, 2011, 12:08:05 PM
WHAT 600.00  you can buy a new one for 250.00 or less

Well I had two radiator shops advise that they would have re-core and do several other things if I wanted to re-use the original radiator. So with that said, I figured I would ask to see if anyone could point me towards an inexpensive aftermarket radiator.

Where have you seen them for $250 or less?

thanks!

Lunger

champion cooling on ebay or call monster cooling at  (714) - 432 - 1266

190.00 bucks ,

speedway motors -----------329.99

summitt-----274.00 and up

year one -------386.00 up

us radiator ----------390.00 and up

classicfordradiators.com     wes they sell mopars also

395.00 and up

now i did some digging on champion radiators and i cannot find a complant , seems everyone that used them like them

BULL OF THE WOODS

Lunger

http://www.championradiators.com/page/400655622

Click to enlarge image(s)
Champion All Aluminum Radiator
2-Row Core
Cools 400hp

CORE:17 ½" Tall x 26" Wide
TOTAL: 22.25" (23.25" Incl Cap) x 29" Incl Brackets
Inlet 1.5" pass side/ outlet 1.75" driver side
Tanks 2.5"
1.75" thick core
Transmission Cooler Included

Bracket mount System

When using electric fans:
Two 12" Electric fans recommended for this core size
Fan shipping is FREE when purchased with a radiator

Aluminum Shroud is also Available

SKU: EC375
Price: $159.98
Qty:  

This part applies to the following cars:

•Charger (66-74)

CC375

3-Row Core
Cools 650hp

TOTAL: 22.25" (23.25" Incl Cap) x 29" Incl Brackets
Tanks 2.75"
2.5" thick core
Transmission Cooler Included

Bracket mount System

SKU: CC375
Price: $219.98
Qty:  

This part applies to the following cars:

•Charger (66-74)

MC375

4-Row Core
Polished Tanks
Cools 800hp

TOTAL: 22 1/4" (23 1/4" Incl Cap) x 29" Incl Brackets
Tanks 3.2" Thick
Almost 3" thick core

Bracket mount System

BULL OF THE WOODS

Lunger

BULL OF THE WOODS

ODZKing

Yeah, I found that when a place doesn't want to deal with an older car or restoration of something like a radiator, the price if they will even do it, is better than double.
I just had my 28 inch radiator for my 73 Charger triple recored and it was $319.00 plus tax.  No one in town here wanted to be bothered so I went 70 miles down the road.  Luckily I had a friend who lived there and could deliver and pick it up for me.
They did the radiator on his 66 Charger as well.  I can recommend them.
Not sure where you are - BJR Radiator, Rochester, NY
http://www.bjrradiator.net/

Surf Charger

Quote from: Lunger on November 07, 2011, 03:46:54 PM
I guess a guy on the site here is a dealer

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,70184.0.html

Thanks for all of the great references. I came across a few vintage car sites that have been using ECP (Engineered Cooling Products) radiators out of Chicago....i used the diagram in their ebay ad and everything matches up perfect to the stock radiator. Only differences I could see were the mounting points for the stock fan shroud and the width of the bottom lower radiator hose attachment point.

Looks like their fan shroud mounting points are a bit inward. Also the lower radiator neck is 1 3/4 " wide and the stock is 1 1/2" wide.

Anyone deal with these guys? I will say their ebay add has quite a bit of detail showing pics of the craftsmanship (internal and external) and exact measurements.

http://www.speedcooling.com/index.php?_a=contactUs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-CHARGER-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-HD-1969-1972-/320785601124?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4034171422037938915

XS29L8

I'd shop around some more.
It ran me about $500 to get my 26" recored.
A replacement would have run about 350 but after hearing of some issues others have had, plus the knowledge that the original radiator had lasted 40+ years gave me some confidence that spending another $150 or so on a recore was the right decision.
Also, having the original #'d tanks underhood will help the value of the car down the road should I sell it or something happen to it.

madmike

Surf Charger:

My '68 Charger rolling basket case didn't come with a radiator, and my radiator support was sized for a 26" radiator.  I bought a Champion radiator from an Ebay distributor.  Here are my thoughts:

If your looking for award winning show quality, this radiator isn't for you.  The welds look pretty bad.  When I got mine, it was twisted across corners (it didn't lie in a flat plane).  When I called the distributor he said to basically go ahead and bend it into a flat plane.  Well, I was afraid of breaking it, so I mounted it with an extra washer or two in one spot, instead of trying to flatten it without breaking it.  There are no brackets on the radiator, to mount your stock fan shroud, if you desire to do so.  I made brackets to mount mine.  If I had a brake, they would have turned out perfect.  So far, I have only ran the new engine for it's break-in period, and I drove it around the block once, but it doesn't leak or anything.  I'm still working on other issues before the car is really road worthy.

I bought the radiator because I had heard good things about them, and it was affordable.  But, once I got it, I was a little disappointed.  Actually, as long as it cools well and doesn't leak, those are my main concerns, as my car isn't and never will be a 'show' car...

Good luck with whoever you choose to buy from.

Lunger

Quote from: Surf Charger on November 07, 2011, 04:22:27 PM
Quote from: Lunger on November 07, 2011, 03:46:54 PM
I guess a guy on the site here is a dealer

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,70184.0.html

Thanks for all of the great references. I came across a few vintage car sites that have been using ECP (Engineered Cooling Products) radiators out of Chicago....i used the diagram in their ebay ad and everything matches up perfect to the stock radiator. Only differences I could see were the mounting points for the stock fan shroud and the width of the bottom lower radiator hose attachment point.

Looks like their fan shroud mounting points are a bit inward. Also the lower radiator neck is 1 3/4 " wide and the stock is 1 1/2" wide.

Anyone deal with these guys? I will say their ebay add has quite a bit of detail showing pics of the craftsmanship (internal and external) and exact measurements.

http://www.speedcooling.com/index.php?_a=contactUs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-CHARGER-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-HD-1969-1972-/320785601124?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4034171422037938915

dam its been a long time but i know i used to have a lower hose on my mopar, and it had an insert inside the lower hose to adapt from 1 3/4 to 1 1/2, I waana say it was when i removed a lower hose from a 63 newyorker, that i was pulling a 413 out of
BULL OF THE WOODS

Surf Charger

Quote from: xpbprox on November 07, 2011, 06:42:15 PM
This is a 26" 3 row core for $219 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290586436530?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

26" 2 row 1in tubes for $189 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270789565484?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

both are champions

My only issue with both of these Champions.....notice the mounting holes for the fan shroud? See how they slightly inward rather than being perfectly in line with the radiator mounting holes? The stock fan shroud brackets are the exact same width as the actual radiator mounting brackets. These aftermarket radiators do not do that. They have the mounting brackets for the shroud moved inward an inch or two.

Any idea why this is? Is there an aftermarket fan shroud that is suppose to go with it?

Example: Look at the image of the Champion radiators...the holes are further inward...not matching up with the width of the mounting holes on the actual stock fan shroud. The stock fan shroud will not mate up properly to this radiator.

The stock radiator fan shroud mounting brackets look like this: You see that the shroud mounting brackets are on the outside of the radiator...at the same width as the actual radiator mounting bracket holes.

Lunger

alot of times companys will just put up a standard picture and show the details of all there radiators, best option is to call the toll free number and ask them.
BULL OF THE WOODS

xpbprox

I don't think you can use the stock fan shroud with these radiators without some modification to the radiator. And yes they do sell their own fan shroud

ODZKing

Lunger

yep 1/2 the price of what they wanted to recore
BULL OF THE WOODS

67440chrg

I got a Champion 26" 3 row for my 67 with a 440 from the member here. I run elect fans so I cant tell you anything about the shroud mounting. I can say I ran it in traffic with temps around 100 outside and it stayed cooler then my stock 28" did.