News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bright driving/parking/running lamps on 69 Charger

Started by 1969chargerrtse, February 15, 2009, 09:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danmc77

Here are a couple pics I took tonight of the headlights.  Granted, the headlight bezels aren't yet installed, and the headlights haven't been aimed.  They appear more blue in this pic than they really are - they're more like a white/blue color.

danmc77

Now, I know it's not a Mopar, but just for the sake of comparison, here's a couple pic of my every-day car in which I converted the fogs to HIDs.  I always drive w/ the fogs on - I think it looks great during the day.  Oh, these are the same temp rating as the ones I used for the Charger (5000k), you can see they aren't as blue as they look in the Charger pics.

2Gunz

Putting higher wattage lamps will prolly toast the turn signal circuit.

Should use a relay.

And jumping the front lights to turn on all the time will most likely make the rear lights come on as well.
I didnt look at the circuit layout...... But logic would suggest left front and left rear, and right front and right rear
are one in the same.

Ive thought of doing this same thing.......

But my thoughts where this.

Have a fog/normal dash switch.
Turning on the flasher causes the circuit to automatically switch to "normal" mode

Few other thoughts.

The turn signal is actually a heat activated device. Changing the load by using LEDS should make the flash time slower.
Enough to be a problem?  Not sure.

The housing is plastic a higher wattage bulb could melt it.

Good luck!

danmc77

Quote from: 2Gunz on August 31, 2009, 02:42:59 AM

Putting higher wattage lamps will prolly toast the turn signal circuit.  

Should use a relay.

And jumping the front lights to turn on all the time will most likely make the rear lights come on as well.
I didnt look at the circuit layout...... But logic would suggest left front and left rear, and right front and right rear
are one in the same.

Ive thought of doing this same thing.......

But my thoughts where this.

Have a fog/normal dash switch.
Turning on the flasher causes the circuit to automatically switch to "normal" mode

Few other thoughts.

The turn signal is actually a heat activated device. Changing the load by using LEDS should make the flash time slower.
Enough to be a problem?  Not sure.

The housing is plastic a higher wattage bulb could melt it.

Good luck!

All my lamps run through relays - the fogs will be no different.

In regard to the functionality and wiring, it shouldn;t be too hard to custom wire these to run when the HL switch is set to the "parking light" setting, so there shouldn't be any issues with other lights malfuntioning.  I'll have to check the schematics as well, but just off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure the instrument lights turn on with the HL switch in the "parking light" setting, and they are not incorporated in the turn signal circuit, so I'm sure there is a terminal available on the switch that can feed my relay w/o being affected by the blinkers.  Same goes w/ the license plate light.

I have to look into it, but I'm fairly certain there is a blinker mechanism made specifically for LEDs that just replces the old unit - I'll just have to figure that one out with a little more research, but I'm confident it shouldn't bee too much of an issue either.

Now as far as the lens melting, I'll just have to run with it and see.  The housing is pot meatl, not plastic, so that's not an issue, and the lens actually has a metal "cup" that sheild the tip of the bulb - that could offer some protection to the plastic lens.  I don't think this will be an issue anyway - I've done several HID conversions into plastic housings, and have never had issues with melting.  I have the bulb mounted a sufficient distance from the lens, so again, I don't think this will be an issue.