News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

quarter panel install

Started by thatildo68, February 24, 2009, 03:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatildo68

im looking at installing new quarters and thought it might be a better option to have the weld seam an inch below the body
line (about half way between that and the wheel arch) so to keep the original line, as most of the aftermarket quarters from what i here dont fit that well, that way i get to save all the good quality metal above that
is that what most of you guys do?
oh! and once i have replaced the quarters,floor and trunk pans, rear valance,tailight panel etc can i really say i own a
original numbers matching 68 r/t ?

Charger-Bodie

get the FULL replacement OEM style 1/4's and you will be way ahead.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

suntech

Quote from: 1hot68 on February 24, 2009, 06:48:28 AM
get the FULL replacement OEM style 1/4's and you will be way ahead.

:iagree:

Do yourself a favor.......it´s a no brainer :Twocents:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Drop Top

Boy am I out of the loop. When did they start makeing full replacements? Who sells them for future refeances? I agree if you can get a full replacement, get them. Much easier in the long run.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Drop Top on February 24, 2009, 10:15:49 AM
Boy am I out of the loop. When did they start makeing full replacements? Who sells them for future refeances? I agree if you can get a full replacement, get them. Much easier in the long run.

Classic Body Designs (made in USA , but much more money) Auto Metal Direct (made over seas But much less money)
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Drop Top

Thanks for the info. Witch one is a better quality? I don't mind paying more for better quality, its cheaper in the long run.

By the way after replaceing all that sheet metal. Yes, you'll still have a matching numbers Charger. But if you can cut the numbers off the old 1/4 on the drivers side and under the trunk gasket and weld it into place on the new one.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Drop Top on February 24, 2009, 10:26:38 AM
Thanks for the info. Witch one is a better quality? I don't mind paying more for better quality, its cheaper in the long run.

By the way after replaceing all that sheet metal. Yes, you'll still have a matching numbers Charger. But if you can cut the numbers off the old 1/4 on the drivers side and under the trunk gasket and weld it into place on the new one.

Those numbers are on the trunk gutter not the 1/4 panel.

I have personally never installed either yet,but Ive heard good and bad about both......I think its just like anything in the respect that part need to be fit and arent going to just Fall on the car. :Twocents:

Drop Top

If they don't include the trunk gutter,the door jam and the sail panel area that goes up to the roof and down to the rear glass, then the are not a compleat 1/4 panel. I have installed many 1/4s in my time and some of witch were factor nos panels. The factory panels included all of witch I stated. I do agree, even if you have NOS panels They aren't going to "fall into place" and any aftermarket panels no mater how good will need a bit of feness. I would hope that the more expensive one would be of thicker material. That makes it a bit better as long as the fit is close.  :Twocents:

suntech

I would rather duplicate the # on the lip of the rear quarter, but that is just me. I dont see the point in cutting out the piece, to weld it back in, to "hide" the quarter replacement.
As far as sheet metal, Auto Metal Direct has a big variaty of sheet metal for the Charger now, and more to come.
Classic Body Design has full rear quarters, and door skins.

As far as quality and fitment, there should be plenty of reading here, by doing a search.

QuoteI would hope that the more expensive one would be of thicker material

Both panels are 18 gauge, as they should be :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Drop Top on February 24, 2009, 11:01:07 AM
If they don't include the trunk gutter,the door jam and the sail panel area that goes up to the roof and down to the rear glass, then the are not a compleat 1/4 panel. I have installed many 1/4s in my time and some of witch were factor nos panels. The factory panels included all of witch I stated. I do agree, even if you have NOS panels They aren't going to "fall into place" and any aftermarket panels no mater how good will need a bit of feness. I would hope that the more expensive one would be of thicker material. That makes it a bit better as long as the fit is close.  :Twocents:

You are wrong!

And it doesn't matter if you installed 543 thousand 1/4 panels.....The Charger 1/4 panel doesn't include the gutter that the trunk seal glues to. It does infact include all of the other areas you mentioned though.

Silver R/T

Quote from: Drop Top on February 24, 2009, 10:15:49 AM

not so easy on your pocket
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Mike DC

You can save a few hundred bucks on the partial panels in exchange for spending a few dozen more hours on their installation.  I fail to see the big gains there. 

And the final result is still worse than the full panels.  Everything before the full panels fit like total sh*t.  Some of the seams on the partials are off by entire INCHES.   

elitecustombody

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 24, 2009, 11:37:33 PM
You can save a few hundred bucks on the partial panels in exchange for spending a few dozen more hours on their installation.  I fail to see the big gains there. 

And the final result is still worse than the full panels.  Everything before the full panels fit like total sh*t.  Some of the seams on the partials are off by entire INCHES.   

yep, buy a nice set of AMD quarters and save the hassle,Drop Top,FYI,new quarters do not come with gutters

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

thatildo68

yeah guys im hearing what your saying full quarters are the way for sure,once on they on for the life
of the car job done and piece of mind knowing that its an americain made FULL quarter right! who wants
half a chinese panel on your muscle car
will keep saving then  :cheers:

Back N Black

Quote from: thatildo68 on February 25, 2009, 01:11:32 AM
yeah guys im hearing what your saying full quarters are the way for sure,once on they on for the life
of the car job done and piece of mind knowing that its an americain made FULL quarter right! who wants
half a chinese panel on your muscle car
will keep saving then  :cheers:
]

All of the top dollar,numbers matching, rare cars out there have the partial panels on them.  :yesnod:

AutoRust

We install panels all the time in here. 98% of the time I would rather install a quarter skin then a full OEM style panel if its NOT needed. The work involved is 3 times as much, and the fitting up is five times as challenging. If its needed because the top of the quarter is bad, well then bite the bullet and dig in. If its just rust around the wheelwell and lower sides, do a skin and go on to the next consumption of time and money
I have a 69 Coronet in the shop right now, got AMD full OEM style quarters, as well as a full roof skin. The full quarter needs a ton of tweaking and does not fit all that exact. We are really massaging it to make it fit. I have there deck filler panel also, its almost to narrow to fit in between the full quarters. When we set it in place before we cut the car up it looked like a perfect fit. We put in inner and outer wheel houses and the inners are missing material the originals had, and didnt really fit that well.   
I fully understand that every car is different and everyone needs work to fit correctly, but I am not as impressed as I hoped to be.
Here is the real kick in the azz. The top of the OEM style quarters, al the lower outside edge of the back window.

WTF ??
A big dam hole in there? Thats a real pain, no I have to patch it up.
Nothing to see here folks, its just a Bluesmobile

Charger-Bodie

Auto rust , You are missing a pice there.....There is supposed to be a corner support , just in the corner.The part Im refering to would be under the 1/4 panel in the window corner.

AutoRust

I took a look at a few old pictures from previous projects, and it looks like your correct !!   PITA  to fix it now. Look at where the dutchman panel fits to the quarter, we couldnt stretch it enough, now we got to patch that area.
Oh well, goes with the territory !! :cheers:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: AutoRust on February 25, 2009, 12:05:18 PM
I took a look at a few old pictures from previous projects, and it looks like your correct !!   PITA  to fix it now. Look at where the dutchman panel fits to the quarter, we couldnt stretch it enough, now we got to patch that area.
Oh well, goes with the territory !! :cheers:

Only one man walks on water! And that man is not me!

AutoRust

QuoteOnly one man walks on water! And that man is not me!

An Im ascared of water . . . . . . .

:cheers:

bill440rt

I installed a 1/4 skin on my '69, this was way before the new full panels were available. First time, too. I actually thought it was pretty easy, didn't see what all the fuss was about. I think it boils down to HOW you install it. Yes, I did it below the top belt line, about 1" down from it and around the front and back ends, leaving those original. I wouldn't say it fell right into place, but it went on way easier than I thought it would.
I did NOS 1/4's on my '70 almost over a decade ago, and they were much harder.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bill440rt on February 25, 2009, 04:17:03 PM
I installed a 1/4 skin on my '69, this was way before the new full panels were available. First time, too. I actually thought it was pretty easy, didn't see what all the fuss was about. I think it boils down to HOW you install it. Yes, I did it below the top belt line, about 1" down from it and around the front and back ends, leaving those original. I wouldn't say it fell right into place, but it went on way easier than I thought it would.
I did NOS 1/4's on my '70 almost over a decade ago, and they were much harder.

You're right Bill , the skins aren't that bad to put on if you some body fab experience.

I would still rather have the full replacement pieces given the choice.

Mike DC

I think if the panel is spotless above the main side bodyline (the one between the door handles and the wheelwells), then it may be better to partial-panel it right there.  Otherwise get a whole new one IMHO. 

paironines

I was thinking of trying to install just a skin on my 68 but there is previous accident damage that really tweaked the upper body line that most guys save.  I don't know if I will be able to hammer/dolley that upper body line back into shape due to it's probably stretched.  The top of the quarter by the window is a little wavy too. What do ya think?

suntech

In that case full quarters are the only right thing to put on!!!

thatildo68

charger quarter panel rust seems to always be just above from the wheelarch down so why cut out all the
panel off from the top down to fit a replacement quarter if its still in good nick.
buying a quarter and grafting in just above the wheelwell certainly seems the right choice now
at least you dont interfere with the main side body line (thanks old timer mike dc!)
man i love this forum   :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: thatildo68 on February 26, 2009, 11:57:20 PM
charger quarter panel rust seems to always be just above from the wheelarch down so why cut out all the
panel off from the top down to fit a replacement quarter if its still in good nick.
buying a quarter and grafting in just above the wheelwell certainly seems the right choice now
at least you dont interfere with the main side body line (thanks old timer mike dc!)
man i love this forum   :2thumbs:

Id like to see some pics?

Silver R/T

Question to you guys (who installed skins). Did you flange sheetmetal to lay new skin on top of it or did you just butt it together like in this picture? Did you weld backer plate to reinforce the weld? I was always taught to have a backed welded in if I do butt weld but in this pic it doesn't look like they used it, maybe I am wrong.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger-Bodie

Silver,

What I usually do is just massage the original steel in a little instead of crimping it.....Just a very small amount of lap. and still at the same profile as original.

Butt welding it is also a good way to go BUT the difference in the steel will make that harder than if they were the same alloy.

Mike DC

Some shops butt-weld any new quarter metal into the old ones.  But I think they're mainly doing that because they're not satisfied with the fit/appearance of the edges (and signal light holes) on the repros. 

IMHO if you're not THAT picky, then you'd probably be better off getting the lip on the repros banged into shape and just spot-weld it onto the jamb's surface like they did originally.  Butt-welding produces good results but it really depends on a perfect welding job every time (and every single inch of the weld on every single welded seam).  Not as feasible for most of us who aren't professional welders but just learned enough to satisfactorily rebuild our cars. 

bill440rt

I flanged mine with an air-flanging tool. BUT, you have to cut small relief cuts every couple of inches in the flange to avoid flattening out or distorting the original 1/4. If you don't, you'll lose the "bow" that the original 1/4's have.
I held it in place with sheetmetal screws, and migged it up one spotweld at a time. Removed the screws, and welded those holes up, too.
On the inside seam where the panels overlapped, instead of using seam sealer I used 3M's bonding adhesive. I figured it would make the seam that much stronger. I smoothed the adhesive out with an acid brush. Nice thing about the adhesive is that is really flows and flattens out as it cures. Once it was spoodged with undercoating and painted, you can barely see the inside seam.

:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

lexxman

Hey,guys.I've been reading the thread..there's number on the 1/4's?Are these part numbers or serial numbers?My car has new half 1/4's,they start next to the gas cap and go down.I didn't install them the previous owner did. And he over lap the seam,I still have to finish the install.I have to put the trunk extension , rear crossmember,valence and end caps.Witch sounds like a common thing with these cars.I've only had my car for a few mouths,so I'm just getting started.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: lexxman on March 05, 2009, 08:40:44 PM
Hey,guys.I've been reading the thread..there's number on the 1/4's?Are these part numbers or serial numbers?My car has new half 1/4's,they start next to the gas cap and go down.I didn't install them the previous owner did. And he over lap the seam,I still have to finish the install.I have to put the trunk extension , rear crossmember,valence and end caps.Witch sounds like a common thing with these cars.I've only had my car for a few mouths,so I'm just getting started.

The numbers are NOT actually on the 1/4 panel, they are on the trunk gutter(where the trunk seal glues) not to mention it sounds like your Charger just got skins instead of the full panels.

lexxman

I found the number and yes they are just skins.I think the previous owner were trying to go as cheap as possible.

BLUE68RT4ME

Hey Guys, love all of your discussion.  So I've learned about full quarters and partials, where the numbers are located and much more.  This has all been a great help.  My best friend and I are just in the process of my full resto on my '68 R/T.  I know, if you look closely the stripe is for a '69.  That will be fixed.  I got this car two years ago.  It's an all numbers matching car, minus the carb and intake.  Anyway, we've everything torn off the car now and everything but the main body is off to be soda blasted.  Once that's done we plan to prime it, reattach it, do any repair work it might need, then take it off again and send the body off to be blasted and then see what we have left to do in the back quarters.  Any thoughts on soda blasting and anything else I mentioned, feel free to offer.  My main question is, what is the name of these corner pieces and, if they're manufactured, where's the best place to find them?  Well, everything blow the bumper should probably be replaced from a quick look at it.  I'll know more when we get it back from blasting but I also want to ask, is there anything I need to be concerned with in the back here?  Thanks in advance guys.  I look forward to reading your responses.  As we move forward I hope you don't mind me leaning on you some more! TTFN!  :2thumbs:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

NMike

they are valance corners/caps. the only ones i can find tight now are junk (charger specialties) i think someone is making ones that fit soon. looked at AMD but they don't list it on the net.

thatildo68

welcome to the club blue68
good luck working on your charger mate, your in the U.S man almost spoilt for choice
its alot harder in new zealand!

375instroke

Quote from: AutoRust on February 25, 2009, 11:38:45 AM

WTF ??
A big dam hole in there? Thats a real pain, no I have to patch it up.
How do you think we feel when we find a hole like that when mating two fuselage pieces together on a $200,000,000 787 that are made overseas?

375instroke

When I look at my trunk lip where the VIN is stamped, that area is a separate piece about one foot long and 2" wide that is spot welded to the quarter.

What are these quarters from Auto Metal Direct?  They look like full quarters.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 375instroke on March 08, 2009, 04:06:03 PM
When I look at my trunk lip where the VIN is stamped, that area is a separate piece about one foot long and 2" wide that is spot welded to the quarter.

What are these quarters from Auto Metal Direct?  They look like full quarters.

Those ARE full ,factory style replacement 1/4 panels.

Finn

Quote from: NMike on March 07, 2009, 11:31:24 PM
they are valance corners/caps. the only ones i can find tight now are junk (charger specialties) i think someone is making ones that fit soon. looked at AMD but they don't list it on the net.

Agreed, they dont fit worth a damn.
Better off fabricating them yourself imo.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

lexxman

I recently got my corner's from Charger Specialties.And yes I've read about how I'm going to have to rework them.But are the ones from year one or amd any better?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: lexxman on March 08, 2009, 05:44:56 PM
I recently got my corner's from Charger Specialties.And yes I've read about how I'm going to have to rework them.But are the ones from year one or amd any better?

The ones from year none are from Charger Specialities.

The AMD ones still haven't proven themselves that I know of, but I have faith in AMD so I guess well see.

lexxman

I haven't gotten to the point were I'm ready to  install the corners,but I know it's going to be a job.But on a good note I just got my 66-71 mopar dealer parts catalog cd today.

BLUE68RT4ME

Alright, well it looks like that will be a challenge no matter what.  Thank you everyone for your input!  I think it's going to be a good 8 weeks before we will be looking at that work.  Lexxman, if you get to yours before then please let me know how it goes.  Or if you find something better out of your catalog.  I'd really appreciate your feedback! 
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

lexxman

No problem,I don't know if you saw this already,but if not check it out.
http://www.69hemi.com/index.html
This is a very good site click on the green charger and check out the step by step picture's. :2thumbs: