News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Teaser 470 numbers

Started by idahogrumpy, March 02, 2009, 11:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idahogrumpy

We went to Kidd performance in Twin Falls Idaho Saturday. Bolted the 470 up to the dyno and after break in had some pleasant realities hit us right between the eye's. We did eight pulls,,, with a best of 620hp and 600 ft lbs of torque! (corrected) All on 91 octane Chevron premium gasoline. 105-108 volumetric efficiently all the way through the pull. Dyno pulls and build will be posted soon. This thing was worth the headaches. More to come,,,, Kyle  ;) :yesnod:
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

Dans 68

Very nice. Looking forward to seeing the build and numbers. I'm seriously thinking of doing a 470 build :scratchchin: (hell, I just bought a block so who am I kidding. I will be doing one. :yesnod:)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

doctorpimp

Holy crap!!!  I'm running a 470 but haven't been to the dyno with it yet (in fact was only able to drive a few times) I can only hope for so high!
I was guestimating 500 hp 500 tq on mine... :)
Gotta get to a dyno, now that i live in the big city!!! LOL

Please post your combo :)
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

firefighter3931

That's great news Kyle.  :2thumbs: I just got an e-mail from Scott and he's tickled pink with the results....damn impressive for a 470 on pump gas.  :cheers:

Glad to hear the Firecores arrived in time for the dyno thrash.  :icon_smile_big:

Looking forward to the build details and dyno numbers !  :coolgleamA:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

idahogrumpy

I am a little disappointed after seeing the actual print out. I was wrong about the torque number, only went to 590, not over 600 as stated,,, Sorry!  :eek2: I thought we would get from idle up numbers and as you can see here that did not happen.  :icon_smile_blackeye:  I will inquire why we did not get the whole run on the print out.The build is yet to come. I need to gather all of the correct information as my memory does not serve me well at all. :shruggy: More to come Kyle.
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY

doctorpimp

That's still nothing to cough at!!!  LOL
TQ looks pretty flat any way!

Why would the VE be over 100% ? Forced induction ???
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

idahogrumpy

I wont claim to know why the efficiency numbers are so high, however I made the cam choice based on those numbers. On the desk top dyno I kept tweaking the cam numbers until I reached the best numbers for the bore, stroke, compression, and heads we were using. I would say everything is working real well together. We are normally aspirated, Demon 825 carb and race mufflers. Kyle 
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY

mauve66

did they give you a graph also?? to me the graph shows peaks and dips (flat spots) better for telling if you've got steady power or peaky power and to tell if the torque falls off too soon for the HP to take over, again, just easier for me to read than reading a column of numbers
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

firefighter3931

Kyle, those are impressive numbers for that combo. The wide lobed 114* cam and low (pump gas) compression are why it didn't make over 600 ftlbs. Trust me, you won't be able to feel the difference between 590 and 600 ftlbs in the car....or on the time slip.  ;)

The torque curve is nice and flat....power everywhere which is what you want for a street/strip build.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Beer

Question on the AFR, if a WOT run it looks a bit lean to me? Shouldn't it be high 12-13's? Or is low 14's the target WOT AFR for these engines?
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

firefighter3931

Quote from: Beer on March 09, 2009, 08:13:02 AM
Question on the AFR, if a WOT run it looks a bit lean to me? Shouldn't it be high 12-13's? Or is low 14's the target WOT AFR for these engines?

I agree Jim, it does look a little lean up top.  :yesnod: Personally, i'd be happier with high 12's -low 13's on the A/F's but on the dyno you can get away with a slightly leaner mixture and still be safe. In the car is a different story.

Ron

redmist

IdahoGrumpy, if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to dyno the engine? I have a 383 build going togeather and live in Boise....  I would love to dyno the engine before install and would make the silly short trip to do so!

Will they break the motor in on the dyno as well?

Thanks!
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

Purple440

Kyle what cam is that with 114lsa giving those numbers?  Is that a custom grind that you designed?

idahogrumpy

:icon_smile_blackeye:      Sorry people been busy and still have not got all of my information together. Again my memory is not treating me well. We had so many different plans and ideas about this motor that my facts got a little screwy. This engine was put together over several months and the bulk of the parts were ordered by the engines owner about a year ago. So here is one more little piece to our build. The cam card. Yes this was a custom grind. The cam specs were tweaked by me on an engine Dyno simulator. This is a solid lifter cam. The engine Idled very nicely at about 850 rpm. 112 lobe centers not 114 as stated earlier. :brickwall:

I have not spent any more time with the engine tune as it is going to be pulled from the car it is in now and put into the owners 73 Scamp over the next few weeks. 
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY

Purple440

ah Engle.  Nice!  I want one of their cams so bad, but I'd have to rip out my current cam, then worry about the zinc in the oil, ect.  My "slow ramp" cam probably lets me get away with lesser oil.

Cheers,
- Doug

mopowers

Whats the rest of the combo?

Dans 68

Quote from: mopowers on June 02, 2009, 02:18:33 PM
Whats the rest of the combo?

Thought I'd :bump: this up as I would really like to know.  :scope:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

1Bad70Charger

What are we in John Force's garage here and mums the word!   :slap:   ;D

What gives, we want more details on this build, as making 600+ Hp and almost 600 torque on a 470 pump gas engine is extremely impressive and some of us would like to achieve this also!  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

1Bad70Charger

Looking to build the same type of engine and would LOVE to get 600 horsies out of a 470 engine.

Who can  confirm what Heads this build was running, ported and polished or out of the box and what compression ratio?

Thanks in advance!  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69charger440

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on September 25, 2010, 04:19:52 PM
Looking to build the same type of engine and would LOVE to get 600 horsies out of a 470 engine.

Who can  confirm what Heads this build was running, ported and polished or out of the box and what compression ratio?

Alright folks! My Father built this engine, so I will get on his butt. I am pretty sure they use indy heads! I will give him a call now.
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: tan top on September 25, 2010, 04:30:49 PM
nice street motor  :yesnod: :coolgleamA:

I agree and I want to duplicate this build!  ;)

What is the standard bore on a 400 ci low deck 470/471 build as it seems like a great way of making some big power on a budget, utilizing one's 440 crank.

Also, what can I expect to pay for a bare good condition 400 block and what year blocks are the best?

Thanks in advance.  :cheers:

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: 69charger440 on September 25, 2010, 04:52:56 PM

Alright folks! My Father built this engine, so I will get on his butt. I am pretty sure they use indy heads! I will give him a call now.

That would make sense making this type of SERIOUS power, please get us specifics on the exact heads, compression ratio, etc. and thank you!  :cheers:

69charger440

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on September 25, 2010, 05:06:35 PM

That would make sense making this type of SERIOUS power, please get us specifics on the exact heads, compression ratio, etc. and thank you!  :cheers:

Well I spoke with Scott (the owner), he said it was Indy EZ heads (No Porting), high rise Indy Intake, Indy Rockers, 870 Race Demon CARB, 440 source stroker kit, 440 source girdle. The piston where installed even with the deck. Thus creating .040 quench (Close to it). Scott told me to let you guys know to watch your bearing on the 400 stroker builds, make sure you radius them for clearances.  I am sure IdahoGrumpyBear will post later!!
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: 69charger440 on September 25, 2010, 06:58:09 PM
Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on September 25, 2010, 05:06:35 PM

Well I spoke with Scott (the owner), he said it was Indy EZ heads (No Porting), high rise Indy Intake, Indy Rockers, 870 Race Demon CARB, 440 source stroker kit, 440 source girdle. The piston where installed even with the deck. Thus creating .040 quench (Close to it). Scott told me to let you guys know to watch your bearing on the 400 stroker builds, make sure you radius them for clearances.  I am sure IdahoGrumpyBear will post later!!

Thank you for this info bro definitely a kick azz 470 engine!  :cheers:

idahogrumpy

So very sorry for not staying with this. :D The compression is right at 10.48 according to Scott (owner). The block had been square decked for zero deck piston installation. The block was bored .030 over as I recall. A torque plate was used for final hone. The rings were file fit to each cylinder. The rotating assembly was balanced. The block was align honed because of the use of main bearing studs. The crank and rods were sent to the machine shop to be checked. The 440 Source crank was not dead on for critical dimensions, there were issues with bearing clearance's that could have been addressed. For our intentions the crank would work as is, so we used it. The rods checked out fine. We used fully grooved main bearings.  As mentioned in many other areas of this forum the chamfer on the bearings had to be extensively modified to give us proper rod and main bearing side  clearance. Very careful assembly was required. The bottom end had been disassembled and assembled at least three times before everything was right. ??? The stud girdle is a bit of a challenge as well. We had rear main seal retainer issues. Had to use a Dremel to make clearance for the rear main stud nuts. I drilled and tapped the block for the 1/2 Hemi pick up tube. Moroso 8 qt pan.
       This was not a cheap engine to build. The machine work was around $1000.00, the engine kit was $1900.00, and the Indy top end was some where around 4000.00. Could it have been done cheaper? Yes I think so. But what we have here is a reasonably mild engine with potential for more that should last for quite a while.

Why did we choose the 470? Low block strength, better piston skirt length for street longevity.

Why did we pick the Indy heads? Better out of the box flow than Eddies without port work. Cost of ported Eddies pushed close to the cost of the Indy's. The Indy package included assembled heads, intake, valley cover, valve covers, head bolts, and push rods built for our required length.

I'm sure there is many items I forgot, but that is the build in a nut shell. This is not the way I wanted to document this build, but time and other life problems kind of got in the way.

Since this engine has been together it has not run more than about 5 miles. This engine went into An A body with a 518 overdrive behind it. The transmission has been kind if a problem due to some mistakes by the owner of the car and has been in & out twice now, which is no small feat for this A body. Very labor intensive.

The intake manifold and spacer combination require the use of a very large hood scoop.

I must give 440 Source credit for putting this kit together for Mopar people everywhere. This engine is a very potent and I hope long lasting combination that anybody can build with some attention to detail. It was a huge learning process for me. I've been kind of the junk yard dog kind of hotrod builder, never had anything like this to work with. This Baby Runs!!!      Grumpy 

Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY

1Bad70Charger

Great Feedback Grumpy, thank you, and fantastic results on this 470 engine you built!  :cheers:

I may be picking your mind a bit in the future about duplicating this set-up!  :popcrn: