News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Teaser 470 numbers

Started by idahogrumpy, March 02, 2009, 11:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idahogrumpy

So very sorry for not staying with this. :D The compression is right at 10.48 according to Scott (owner). The block had been square decked for zero deck piston installation. The block was bored .030 over as I recall. A torque plate was used for final hone. The rings were file fit to each cylinder. The rotating assembly was balanced. The block was align honed because of the use of main bearing studs. The crank and rods were sent to the machine shop to be checked. The 440 Source crank was not dead on for critical dimensions, there were issues with bearing clearance's that could have been addressed. For our intentions the crank would work as is, so we used it. The rods checked out fine. We used fully grooved main bearings.  As mentioned in many other areas of this forum the chamfer on the bearings had to be extensively modified to give us proper rod and main bearing side  clearance. Very careful assembly was required. The bottom end had been disassembled and assembled at least three times before everything was right. ??? The stud girdle is a bit of a challenge as well. We had rear main seal retainer issues. Had to use a Dremel to make clearance for the rear main stud nuts. I drilled and tapped the block for the 1/2 Hemi pick up tube. Moroso 8 qt pan.
       This was not a cheap engine to build. The machine work was around $1000.00, the engine kit was $1900.00, and the Indy top end was some where around 4000.00. Could it have been done cheaper? Yes I think so. But what we have here is a reasonably mild engine with potential for more that should last for quite a while.

Why did we choose the 470? Low block strength, better piston skirt length for street longevity.

Why did we pick the Indy heads? Better out of the box flow than Eddies without port work. Cost of ported Eddies pushed close to the cost of the Indy's. The Indy package included assembled heads, intake, valley cover, valve covers, head bolts, and push rods built for our required length.

I'm sure there is many items I forgot, but that is the build in a nut shell. This is not the way I wanted to document this build, but time and other life problems kind of got in the way.

Since this engine has been together it has not run more than about 5 miles. This engine went into An A body with a 518 overdrive behind it. The transmission has been kind if a problem due to some mistakes by the owner of the car and has been in & out twice now, which is no small feat for this A body. Very labor intensive.

The intake manifold and spacer combination require the use of a very large hood scoop.

I must give 440 Source credit for putting this kit together for Mopar people everywhere. This engine is a very potent and I hope long lasting combination that anybody can build with some attention to detail. It was a huge learning process for me. I've been kind of the junk yard dog kind of hotrod builder, never had anything like this to work with. This Baby Runs!!!      Grumpy 

Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

1Bad70Charger

Great Feedback Grumpy, thank you, and fantastic results on this 470 engine you built!  :cheers:

I may be picking your mind a bit in the future about duplicating this set-up!  :popcrn:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).