News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing a painted on R/T stripe. I have an idea, what do you think?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, March 09, 2009, 07:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I think I finally have the answer to the rear stripe problem, of the rear of the car being semi flat but the painted on stripe being gloss, and not V'd.  I buy a Charger stripe set.  I lay that over the side stripes.  I remove the emblems, fill the holes and paint the orange where the R/T cutout would be and were looking correct.  For the trunk I can either use the straight stripe off a Super Bee kit or...............  I buy another Charger deck Lid, paint it my car color and put on the correct V'd stripe (finally) and bolt it to the car.  If it matches, great.  If not I just sell it?  I'm flippin excited to know I can bring the entire rear back to a original correct look.  What do you guys think?   :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

tan top

nice job on the rear light panel  :yesnod:
   :scratchchin:  hmmm just thinking ...your car might of been a V88 stripe delete   as it has the badges  :shruggy:
  if it were mine think i would remove the painted stripe & put the stripe decal on  :scratchchin:   
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Rob, looking at your stripe further I think your only recourse would be to buy a Coronet R/T stripe which is a totally straight band like yours is painted on.

The Charger stripe is "V'd" on the trunk but is also angled on the quarters....unless you plan on painting the whole rear of the car?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on March 09, 2009, 09:05:30 AM
Rob, looking at your stripe further I think your only recourse would be to buy a Coronet R/T stripe which is a totally straight band like yours is painted on.

The Charger stripe is "V'd" on the trunk but is also angled on the quarters....unless you plan on painting the whole rear of the car?
Huh?  I didn't know the R/T was on the super Bee.  Cool, I'll buy both and see whaqt fits best.  THe corner pieces are angled on the Charger?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: tan top on March 09, 2009, 09:05:05 AM
nice job on the rear light panel  :yesnod:
   :scratchchin:  hmmm just thinking ...your car might of been a V88 stripe delete   as it has the badges  :shruggy:
  if it were mine think i would remove the painted stripe & put the stripe decal on  :scratchchin:   
It's not a V88 car as I drilled the holes for the emblems and man was I nervous doing that.  I can't remove the stripe it's painted on and cleared. I can't afford to repaint anything on it.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 09, 2009, 09:41:07 AM

Huh?  I didn't know the R/T was on the super Bee.  Cool, I'll buy both and see whaqt fits best.  THe corner pieces are angled on the Charger?

Super Bee?  That's a Coronet R/T...Super Bee has a different stripe & no convertibles either...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on March 09, 2009, 09:47:55 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 09, 2009, 09:41:07 AM

Super Bee?  That's a Coronet R/T...Super Bee has a different stripe & no convertibles either...
Yeah, that made no sense.  I'm still learning about Chargers, so don't expect to much correct Coronet info from me.  :rotz:

Charger-Bodie

Rob,

You just need to buck-up and have a body shop respray (blend and reclear) the 1/4's deck lid and roof, put the right stripe on , and be done with it!

Any other money you spend on doing it wrong by faking it will be waisted money you could be spending on doing it the RIGHT way!!  :rotz:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 09, 2009, 09:54:10 AM
Rob,

You just need to buck-up and have a body shop respray (blend and reclear) the 1/4's deck lid and roof, put the right stripe on , and be done with it!

Any other money you spend on doing it wrong by faking it will be waisted money you could be spending on doing it the RIGHT way!!  :rotz:
I don't understand that.  For under 100.00 I can have the correct sides, vrs wrong color, emblem,and paint. For the trunk it will still be straight but correct color, or the correct V with  a trunk repaint.  A repaint at the level your suggesting would be near 3,000.00!   It can only work or not work my way for under 100.00. Repaint is not an option at all.  The wife's ready to heave me and the car as it is.  We all know an unhappy wife is not good for anyone.   :rotz:

Charger-Bodie

Then leave it alone until the time comes that you CAN afford to do it right!!

It doesn't cost a penny to leave it wrong instead of making it a different wrong!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

TUFCAT

Sounds logical to me... :2thumbs:

Make sure you buy the straight Coronet R/T stripe kit from a vendor with a very good return policy.

JUST LAY THE STRIPE over yours. DO NOT INSTALL THE STRIPE.

If it works as planned....then INSTALL.

Otherwise, I'd probably leave well enough alone until you have the money to do it right.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on March 09, 2009, 12:13:01 PM
I'm all for the smoke & mirrors!  I say go for it!
I'm already gone. I'm gonna order the Charger stripe and see what work is needed to make it lay over the painted stripe. I am not repainting a car over because of a stripe. Give me time but I'll be back. If the Charger doesn't lay perfect then I'll order the Coronet stripe. It will look perfect, or not at all. See what you started TC?
A certain someone with a black 68 and a really big motor and a 5 spd ( Wait, did 68 Chargers come with 5 speeds?  :icon_smile_wink: ) will be saying  :2thumbs: soon enough.

TUFCAT

Rob, I'm a stickler for the little details. Its in the blood. :icon_smile_wink:  My brother and Dad are the same way. There's nothing wrong with being fussy. :coolgleamA: You should see my daily drivers. Wifey says I've gone beyond anal...and I'm now rectal.  :shruggy:  Funny thing is, I never heard her bitching her car is TOO CLEAN!

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 09, 2009, 12:42:37 PM
Rob, I'm a stickler for the little details. Its in the blood. :icon_smile_wink:  My brother and Dad are the same way. There's nothing wrong with being fussy. :coolgleamA: You should see my daily drivers. Wifey says I've gone beyond anal...and I'm now rectal.  :shruggy:  Funny thing is, I never heard her bitching her car is TOO CLEAN!
I'm really big on detail, but I try ( I said "try' ) not to get to anal.  The other day I mentioned to my wife about a tiny, itty bitty mark on one of my dash chrome trim pieces, and my wife says you sure that wasn't there before?  I gave her the eyes and my daughter chimes in , Mom are you kidding me, Dad doesnt miss anything he's a detail freak.  :hah:  That's me and it drives my lazy children crazy. :yesnod:

1969chargerrtse

Well, I'm having big thoughts this is not going to work, but I'll give it a shot.  I talked to Dave of Performance car graphics.  Seems the correct size should ( if I did the math correct ) be 6 7/8 for the wide stripe and that is exactly the width I have going down the sides.  The trunk is not 100% even as it grows to 7" at one point.   Sooooo if I can lay the side stripes exact, I can then lay each thinner side stripe next and I would be forced to repaint the trunk or get a trunk and have it painted and hope the color matches.  Lot's of "if's" here but I'm going to start with square one which is dry lay the side stripe and hope not only it is the exact same width, but follows true around the bend.  Dave is telling me I need 3 people to pull it etc....   My wife already said she'll make sure she's not home that day.   :coocoo:    Gotta love the loyalty.  Long shot, but if not I'll just post it on ebay and be done with it, because I'm not repainting the car for this issue.

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 09, 2009, 04:51:36 PM
Long shot, but if not I'll just post it on ebay and be done with it, because I'm not repainting the car for this issue.

Uh Oh.  :icon_smile_blackeye:  If it doesn't work out.....just live with it. Trust me. Its REALLY NOT that bad. :Twocents:  The glossy tail panel would would catch my eye first.  Many people painted on stripes when these stripes weren't available.

In fact, In 1975/1976 when Dad's 1969 Charger 500 was repainted..., the black 500 stripe was already obsolete/unavailable.  Dad had to get a white one. NO such thing as reproduction then. ;)

In fact, I'd guess it was until the early 80's when people started reproducing tape.  

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 09, 2009, 05:27:11 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 09, 2009, 04:51:36 PM
Long shot, but if not I'll just post it on ebay and be done with it, because I'm not repainting the car for this issue.

Uh Oh.  :icon_smile_blackeye:  If it doesn't work out.....just live with it. Trust me. Its REALLY NOT that bad. :Twocents:  The glossy tail panel would would catch my eye first.  Many people painted on stripes when these stripes weren't available.

In fact, In 1975/1976 when Dad's 1969 Charger 500 repainted..., the black 500 stripe was already obsolete and not available.  Dad had to get a white one. NO such thing as reproduction.

In fact, I'd guess it was until the early 80's when people started reproducing tape.  
Oh yeah, I'm cool.  I'll give it a shot, if not I'm fine with it the way it is.  Thrilled to have the back end correct.

You kids and your cars.  :nana:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on March 09, 2009, 05:59:28 PM
You guys and your 100% factory cars.... :lol:

You guys and your cars that arent!!

By the way they dont need to be factory , they only need to LOOK factory.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 10, 2009, 07:55:51 AM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on March 09, 2009, 05:59:28 PM
You guys and your 100% factory cars.... :lol:

You guys and your cars that arent!!

By the way they dont need to be factory , they only need to LOOK factory.

Ahh words to live by :iagree:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

I'm going to continue this subject over on my Charger restoration thread as I really want to keep all the work and history on one thread.