News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Superbird wing is now on my 69 Roadrunner (with pics)

Started by hotrod98, March 09, 2009, 05:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

My wife has been after me to put our extra Superbird wing on our 69 roadrunner for quite a while. I've resisted, but finally decided that since I won't have the time to build her new Superbird clone for a while, I might as well and go ahead and do it. She has really become a wingcar nut the last few years. Even her truck has a wing.
This wing is one that Don Currie built for me a couple of years ago. It's a steel skin over a tubular frame. He did a great job in my opinion. I just don't have that type of ability. It was damaged in shipping a little so it required some body work. I hadn't noticed the damage until I decided to paint it.
I used a set of the Daytona wing braces that I've been building and selling on this forum for the last couple of years. With just some minor alterations, they worked out pretty good. I made a set of wing washers out of .090 aluminum. Should work just fine. We took the car out this afternoon and it doesn't shake or anything which was a relief. I'll check it for high speed vibrations later on. Since seeing the pics of the 69 Runner being used to mock up the Superbird, the wing doesn't look all that out of place on a 69 now.
Anyway, the wife is happy and it doesn't look all that bad. I can always remove it, weld up the holes and repaint the quarters. Actually, the paint is very thin and the entire car needs dents removed and repainted, so no big loss.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hotrod98

More pics.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

More pics

Charles Addams

69bronzeT5

It's not as bad as I thought. It actually looks pretty good! It's hard getting over the fact that it has no nose cone but whatever. It looks good! :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

nascarxx29

looks good glad the clay 69 runner superbird inspired you to do it :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

A383Wing

nelson_audet

69 Charger RT 440 4 SPD 4.10 Dana car B5 blue

BigBlockSam

QuoteNeeds a pointy nose now....

looks good, it'll look better with a pointy nose on it  :yesnod:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Charles Addams

mauve66

now see, too me it looks too big on a 69 for some reason, don't get me wrong , i think all these cars look better without the nose but WITH the wing, but something doesn't seem right with the proportion
have you parked it next to a 70 with a wing just to look at it??  i wonder if its something to do with the angles on the 70 quarter panel
that's my bigggest worry with the tona wing on the 1st gen, even though i've seen the orange car his is custom and i don't know how close his dimensions are to the original
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

BigBlockSam

your rite Larry , the wing braces look better painted on this car . it's more a custom thing   :cheers:

at least now you have some where to hang your coat  :D
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

Quote from: mauve66 on March 09, 2009, 09:34:04 PM
now see, too me it looks too big on a 69 for some reason, don't get me wrong , i think all these cars look better without the nose but WITH the wing, but something doesn't seem right with the proportion
have you parked it next to a 70 with a wing just to look at it??  i wonder if its something to do with the angles on the 70 quarter panel
that's my bigggest worry with the tona wing on the 1st gen, even though i've seen the orange car his is custom and i don't know how close his dimensions are to the original

Other than the body character lines on the 69 and the scoops on the 70, the sides of the quarters are identical as far as I know. I had this same wing on the 70 Satellite and the only thing that stood out is that the standard back glass makes everything look a little strange. You definitely notice the difference in the back glasses with the wing in place.

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 09, 2009, 10:09:33 PM
your rite Larry , the wing braces look better painted on this car . it's more a custom thing   :cheers:

at least now you have some where to hang your coat  :D

I told Sandra that I was going to hang some clothes on the wing and take a pic of her new Arkansas clothes line.

I had some blue paint left and decided that I would just go with the blue on the braces just to see how it looked. Thought that to the uninformed, it might even look more like a factory thing.  ;D

We drove the car to Sonic tonight and everyone loved it. People were yelling as they drove by about how they liked our car.
Up until today, people never gave the car a second glance. This car has been driving around this town for years and absolutely no one has ever mentioned liking the car before.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

QuoteUp until today, people never gave the car a second glance. This car has been driving around this town for years and absolutely no one has ever mentioned liking the car before.

remember what i said to you about driving wing cars around . wait till you get the daytona together . with the nose and wing on it  . people freak out on ya .    :cheers:

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 10, 2009, 12:06:41 PM
QuoteUp until today, people never gave the car a second glance. This car has been driving around this town for years and absolutely no one has ever mentioned liking the car before.

remember what i said to you about driving wing cars around . wait till you get the daytona together . with the nose and wing on it  . people freak out on ya .    :cheers:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:  Try driving a lime green one that the tops come off of , then they stalk you down   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

billssuperbird

hotrod98

It's been wild just driving this thing around today. People are going crazy over this car all of a sudden. I heard a guy at Subway telling his daughter that it was a Superbird and that it was the fastest producton car ever built.
The important part is, Sandra's getting a kick out of riding around in it. She's used to all of the attention though. Her limelight Cuda has the same affect on people.
Today, I've driven two fake wing cars and a real hemi car. It's been a good day.  ;D

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 10, 2009, 04:11:40 PM
It's been wild just driving this thing around today. People are going crazy over this car all of a sudden. I heard a guy at Subway telling his daughter that it was a Superbird and that it was the fastest producton car ever built.
The important part is, Sandra's getting a kick out of riding around in it. She's used to all of the attention though. Her limelight Cuda has the same affect on people.
Today, I've driven two fake wing cars and a real hemi car. It's been a good day.  ;D
when does the white plymouth lettering go on the quarters and the wings decals go on .  :shruggy:

hotrod98

I drove across town to my buddy Gary's (gary42) house to show him the car. He plans to have me build him a Daytona clone after I finish his 72 Charger Rallye so he's a wingcar nut as well. He tried to talk me into putting the Superbird nose on this car instead of building the 70 Satellite. He also thinks that it would look better at least with the wing decals. I have a new set of the wing decals in my briefcase, but can't make up my mind as to whether they will look good or not.
Hard to say without actually doing it. And, if I don't like it, I've just destroyed the decals for the other car and at $160 a pair, that ain't cheap.
I just know that we've had fun driving the car today. Now I like driving this car better than my cuda.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 10, 2009, 06:54:01 PM
I drove across town to my buddy Gary's (gary42) house to show him the car. He plans to have me build him a Daytona clone after I finish his 72 Charger Rallye so he's a wingcar nut as well. He tried to talk me into putting the Superbird nose on this car instead of building the 70 Satellite. He also thinks that it would look better at least with the wing decals. I have a new set of the wing decals in my briefcase, but can't make up my mind as to whether they will look good or not.
Hard to say without actually doing it. And, if I don't like it, I've just destroyed the decals for the other car and at $160 a pair, that ain't cheap.
I just know that we've had fun driving the car today. Now I like driving this car better than my cuda.
we will make a B_body man out of you yet   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

XS29J8

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 09, 2009, 05:50:49 PM
My wife has been after me to put our extra Superbird wing on our 69 roadrunner for quite a while. I've resisted, but finally decided that since I won't have the time to build her new Superbird clone for a while, I might as well and go ahead and do it. She has really become a wingcar nut the last few years. Even her truck has a wing.
This wing is one that Don Currie built for me a couple of years ago. It's a steel skin over a tubular frame. He did a great job in my opinion. I just don't have that type of ability. It was damaged in shipping a little so it required some body work. I hadn't noticed the damage until I decided to paint it.
I used a set of the Daytona wing braces that I've been building and selling on this forum for the last couple of years. With just some minor alterations, they worked out pretty good. I made a set of wing washers out of .090 aluminum. Should work just fine. We took the car out this afternoon and it doesn't shake or anything which was a relief. I'll check it for high speed vibrations later on. Since seeing the pics of the 69 Runner being used to mock up the Superbird, the wing doesn't look all that out of place on a 69 now.
Anyway, the wife is happy and it doesn't look all that bad. I can always remove it, weld up the holes and repaint the quarters. Actually, the paint is very thin and the entire car needs dents removed and repainted, so no big loss.

Congrats! This looks much better than one would think...........kinda makes me want a wing for the 68 Charger.......... hum..............

Steve

HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

hotrod98

Congrats! This looks much better than one would think...........kinda makes me want a wing for the 68 Charger.......... hum..............

Steve

I can guarantee you that had I not taken the Daytona route with my 69, I would have gone ahead and installed the wing anyway. It's like driving a completely different car. The best part is being able to park in a regular parking space and not worrying about damaging the nose.
That will come later with the other two cars. ;D

Charles Addams

hotrod98

I have a complete air grabber setup, but I can't use it since this is an A/C car. Anyone know of a way to change the compressor to a style that willl clear the air cleaner and air grabber?  It's the only other change that I would like to make.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 10, 2009, 09:00:50 PM
I have a complete air grabber setup, but I can't use it since this is an A/C car. Anyone know of a way to change the compressor to a style that willl clear the air cleaner and air grabber?  It's the only other change that I would like to make.
you mean this , get a sanden and the bracket from Bouchillion Performance,fits great on the birdible and no clearance problems