News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Superbird wing is now on my 69 Roadrunner (with pics)

Started by hotrod98, March 09, 2009, 05:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ5WING

I dont really love it but thats what makes the world go around right?  :shruggy: the extra body line from the 68-69 quarter keeps catching my eye. Ill see if I view it differently the more I look at it. :icon_smile_wink:

What did you do about the deck lid hinges?

what decals did you buy for $160.00?? I also think that a set of wing decals will help. it seems like there is too much blue and something to break it up will be more appealing.

I hope I didnt step on your toes. :cheers:
wingless now, but still around.

hotrod98

The decklid clears the wing just fine.  The decklid will clear the wing on a Superbird as well. The stops are to keep it from smashing someone's hands and to keep the keys from hitting the wing should someone leave them in the lock cylinder. That's my theory anyway.

The Superbird wing decals that I bought were $160 a pair if I remember correctly. I don't want the word Superbird on my car. It's not a Superbird and never will be. I would like to find someone to make a nice color printed set of wing decals that has the "standing bird" and reads "Road Runner" twice instead of "Road Runner Superbird".

You won't hurt my feelings. I don't see anything as permanent. I can take the wing off at any point. I'm just having a little fun with one of my cars. I own 14 musclecars and I'm pretty much bored with every one of them to some degree, so it takes something new to excite me even a little.
Maybe it's the bodyman in me, but I don't have a problem drilling holes in my cars. I'm used to cutting on cars. It's my job.  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hotrod98

Quote from: moparstuart on March 10, 2009, 09:14:47 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on March 10, 2009, 09:00:50 PM
I have a complete air grabber setup, but I can't use it since this is an A/C car. Anyone know of a way to change the compressor to a style that willl clear the air cleaner and air grabber?  It's the only other change that I would like to make.
you mean this , get a sanden and the bracket from Bouchillion Performance,fits great on the birdible and no clearance problems

I think the 69 air grabber setup extends into the a/c compressor area more so than the 70. Not sure. I'll check into the Sanden setup.

Charles Addams

learical1

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 10, 2009, 10:33:02 PM
The decklid clears the wing just fine.  The decklid will clear the wing on a Superbird as well. The stops are to keep it from smashing someone's hands and to keep the keys from hitting the wing should someone leave them in the lock cylinder. That's my theory anyway.

With the bubbled rear window, the deck lid would contact the window plug on a SuperBird if allowed to open fully, so they welded stops on the hinges.  Pop the trunk on any real 'Bird and examine that area between the window and the deck lid; you'll see why they put the stops on.
Bruce

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 10, 2009, 10:33:02 PM

The Superbird wing decals that I bought were $160 a pair if I remember correctly. I don't want the word Superbird on my car. It's not a Superbird and never will be. I would like to find someone to make a nice color printed set of wing decals that has the "standing bird" and reads "Road Runner" twice instead of "Road Runner Superbird".

You won't hurt my feelings. I don't see anything as permanent. I can take the wing off at any point. I'm just having a little fun with one of my cars. I own 14 musclecars and I'm pretty much bored with every one of them to some degree, so it takes something new to excite me even a little.
Maybe it's the bodyman in me, but I don't have a problem drilling holes in my cars. I'm used to cutting on cars. It's my job.  ;D

david patik made all my custom decals  , he will make yours up for you , I think i paid 60 bucks for my wing decals

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 10, 2009, 10:39:58 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on March 10, 2009, 09:14:47 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on March 10, 2009, 09:00:50 PM
I have a complete air grabber setup, but I can't use it since this is an A/C car. Anyone know of a way to change the compressor to a style that willl clear the air cleaner and air grabber?  It's the only other change that I would like to make.
you mean this , get a sanden and the bracket from Bouchillion Performance,fits great on the birdible and no clearance problems

I think the 69 air grabber setup extends into the a/c compressor area more so than the 70. Not sure. I'll check into the Sanden setup.
My sanden and bracket  will fit perfectly  on my 69 also , I have another bracket your welcome to copy and try to mount the compressor under the alternator  ?   the 70 and 69 take the same seal so they are exactly the same size and with the door and actuator on the from on the 70 set up it has less room on the 70 set up to clear !!

The reason i didnt use the bracket to mounted  it under the alternator is , it raised my alternator up an inch or so and hit my vaccumm pod actuator , but its a nice set up I really wanted to use it to hide the compressor away . 

hotrod98

I may take you up on that. My a/c works, but I have to recharge it eery so often. I haven't had time to do a leak check on it, but it's usually at the compressor. Thanks.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 11, 2009, 12:16:34 PM
I may take you up on that. My a/c works, but I have to recharge it eery so often. I haven't had time to do a leak check on it, but it's usually at the compressor. Thanks.
your welcome to copy it but i want it back , plan to use it on the dayclona , it's billet aluminum i painted it black to hide it .

hotrod98

Charles Addams

GeneralLeeTESH

COOL ! The Duketona now has a brother !  Why not name yours "BLUTONA"  ???
The TESH

hotrod98

Quote from: GeneralLeeTESH on March 11, 2009, 01:28:16 PM

Southern brothers.  ;D
My wife calls it "the wingcar". When we start driving the other two, she'll probably just call it the "blue wingcar". 
For now, I say "let's take the winger". We don't really think "Superbird" with this car and we don't look at it as anything other than a 69 Runner with a wing. We'll look at the Superbird clone differently though, I suspect.

Just wait until you start driving that green wing car around. People won't leave you alone. That thing will cause sore necks and car wrecks.  :yesnod:

Charles Addams

WingCharger

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 11, 2009, 02:53:41 PM
Quote from: GeneralLeeTESH on March 11, 2009, 01:28:16 PM

Southern brothers.  ;D
My wife calls it "the wingcar". When we start driving the other two, she'll probably just call it the "blue wingcar". 
For now, I say "let's take the winger". We don't really think "Superbird" with this car and we don't look at it as anything other than a 69 Runner with a wing. We'll look at the Superbird clone differently though, I suspect.

Just wait until you start driving that green wing car around. People won't leave you alone. That thing will cause sore necks and car wrecks.  :yesnod:
How 'bout WingRunner? :D :D

That is how I made my name, a Charger with a Wing is what I wanted to build when I first joined. :yesnod:

hotrod98

If you buy a running, driving Charger, I see nothing wrong with going ahead and installing the wing first and then do the transformation as time and money allows. With the limited time that I have now, I'm kind of wishing that I had done that with my Daytona clone. I would have been driving a wingcar a lot sooner. Would have been kind of cool to have taken two wingers to the local cruises this summer. We've been doing the two cuda thing for several years and it's time for a change. :coolgleamA:

Charles Addams

WingCharger

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 11, 2009, 05:35:01 PM
If you buy a running, driving Charger, I see nothing wrong with going ahead and installing the wing first and then do the transformation as time and money allows. With the limited time that I have now, I'm kind of wishing that I had done that with my Daytona clone. I would have been driving a wingcar a lot sooner. Would have been kind of cool to have taken two wingers to the local cruises this summer. We've been doing the two cuda thing for several years and it's time for a change. :coolgleamA:
Thanks man. :2thumbs:
I love that car. The Blue with Black Stripes really set eachother off. The wing is just icing on the cake. In my opinion, Quarter decals would take away from the clean look. :yesnod: :Twocents:

hotrod98

Thanks, I like the clean look as well and probably won't put any decals on the car.
The wing has given me new interest in this car. I plan to put on new front disc brakes, better exhaust and the air grabber setup that I've had sitting around here for years. I would love to put the AAR style side exhaust on the car. I wonder if anyone's done that with a b-body before.
Maybe I'll even fix the dings and dents and repaint it next year.

Charles Addams

WingCharger

I know their was an ad for the RoadRunner in '68, with a blue/black car like yours, that had an AAR exhaust sticking out. The RoadRunner was holding a helmet, and the hood bulges were HUGE. Wish I had a copy of it. :scratchchin: It was in Mopar Action a while back.

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 11, 2009, 06:38:23 PM
Thanks, I like the clean look as well and probably won't put any decals on the car.
The wing has given me new interest in this car. I plan to put on new front disc brakes, better exhaust and the air grabber setup that I've had sitting around here for years. I would love to put the AAR style side exhaust on the car. I wonder if anyone's done that with a b-body before.
Maybe I'll even fix the dings and dents and repaint it next year.
side exhaust

GeneralLeeTESH

How about The Blue Wing MOPAR...aka  "BLINGTONA"    :icon_smile_big: :yesnod: :laugh: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :rofl:
The TESH

hotrod98

I think we decided on "Wing Runner".
We also decided on no decals, just plain jane. And, we're going to put the air grabber system on, maybe this weekend.
It turned cold and it's raining and sleeting today so we can't drive it. We're kind of bummed out.  :D

Charles Addams

WingCharger

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 12, 2009, 02:20:35 PM
We also decided on no decals, just plain jane. And, we're going to put the air grabber system on, maybe this weekend.
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 12, 2009, 02:20:35 PM
It turned cold and it's raining and sleeting today so we can't drive it. We're kind of bummed out.  :D
needs decals  :Twocents:

hotrod98

I wonder if anyone makes a tall "Standing bird" decal that doesn't cost a fortune. $80 each for the wing decals is rediculous.
I really want to save the wing set that I have for the clone.

Charles Addams

WingCharger

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 12, 2009, 04:23:38 PM
I wonder if anyone makes a tall "Standing bird" decal that doesn't cost a fortune. $80 each for the wing decals is rediculous.
I really want to save the wing set that I have for the clone.
What about painting one on? :scratchchin: :shruggy: