News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Superbird wing is now on my 69 Roadrunner (with pics)

Started by hotrod98, March 09, 2009, 05:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitrometal

Bouchillion Performance makes a bracket to mount it under the alternator and hide the Sanden compressor but you have to remove the mechanical fuel pump and run an electric one.  That's what I'm gonna do on my car.  I t really hides it well, which is what I want.

By the way, that Road Runner looks awesome!  Who'd thunk it?  I can see why it's getting so much attention now.

Phil

Quote from: moparstuart on March 11, 2009, 12:28:31 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on March 11, 2009, 12:16:34 PM
I may take you up on that. My a/c works, but I have to recharge it eery so often. I haven't had time to do a leak check on it, but it's usually at the compressor. Thanks.
your welcome to copy it but i want it back , plan to use it on the dayclona , it's billet aluminum i painted it black to hide it .

I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

THE CHARGER PUNK

Quote from: WingCharger on March 11, 2009, 06:41:22 PM
I know their was an ad for the RoadRunner in '68, with a blue/black car like yours, that had an AAR exhaust sticking out. The RoadRunner was holding a helmet, and the hood bulges were HUGE. Wish I had a copy of it. :scratchchin: It was in Mopar Action a while back.

I believe you mean this one

WingCharger

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on March 12, 2009, 04:56:42 PM
Quote from: WingCharger on March 11, 2009, 06:41:22 PM
I know their was an ad for the RoadRunner in '68, with a blue/black car like yours, that had an AAR exhaust sticking out. The RoadRunner was holding a helmet, and the hood bulges were HUGE. Wish I had a copy of it. :scratchchin: It was in Mopar Action a while back.

I believe you mean this one

YES!! :punkrocka: :punkrocka:

Hhhmmm...I thought it had a black hood treatment... :P

hotrod98

I like the idea of placing the compressor down low, but I don't like the idea of losing the mechanical pump. Over the years, I've seldom had a mechanical pump go bad, but I've had a few electric pumps go out at the most inopportune times. That's the one thing that I worry about with Sandra's cuda. She has a a high pressure pump for her fuel injection and I keep thinking that it's going to fail on one of our long trips. I keep meaning to buy a spare to take with us just in case. The in-tank pumps are the best, but those aftermarket setups are extrememly expensive.
Thanks for the compliments Phil. I just wanted my car to look a little more like yours.  :coolgleamA:

I remember seeing that ad. I think in the real world, the exhaust would be a little further back. Seems like those repro AAR mufflers are pretty expensive. Too bad Flowmaster doesn't make something similar.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

a set of glass packs would work fine exiting in front of the rear wheel  . i'm doing that on my challenger  . 3 inch cherry bombs . mounted close to the collector,  exiting in front of the rear wheels .should sound sweet .  :cheers:

i just put glass packs on the daytona . they sound great . old school, 60's sound .  :2thumbs:

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

daytonalo

There is a very small mech fuel pump  avail . this way you can mount comp low , just fab your own brackets

hotrod98

Rene,
I have the two chamber flowmasters on my 71 cuda and they sound great. I mistakenly installed the 3 chamber flowmasters on Sandra's cuda and they're way too quiet. The 383 that I just built for the runner has a nice sound, but the mufflers are stock type and they're way too quiet. I need a little rumble. I sat with the lady that is the product rep for Cherry Bomb at the Sema new products award breakfast. I should have offered to do a little product testing.  :brickwall:  Let me know how that works out on your car. I'll probably just use the original tips that are on my car.

Larry,
That compressor sits in real tight where the pump normally sits. I don't see any way to use any type of pump in there. I'm going to remove the compressor and not do anything about the a/c until the daytona clone is finished. I'll probably be working on two a/c systems at once. I'll just install the air grabber for now and drive the car for a while.

Charles Addams

70Sbird

Looks good to me!
I love a Blue "B" body with a wing!
Keep parading it around town and soon enough people will start calling it a Superbee!
:cheers:

Scott Faulkner

BigBlockSam

Quoteand not do anything about the a/c until the daytona clone is finished.

:boogie: :boogie:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

Quote from: 70Sbird on March 12, 2009, 09:16:35 PM
Looks good to me!
I love a Blue "B" body with a wing!
Keep parading it around town and soon enough people will start calling it a Superbee!
:cheers:

Ironically, the similarity between Superbee and Superbird is the very reason that I don't have a Superbird today. About eight years ago, I had a guy offer me a Superbird in partial trade towards my Super Comp Dragster, trailer and Crew Cab Dually. I was all for it but my wife said no, she doesn't like Superbirds and she thought they were downright ugly. A week later, we were at the Mopar Nats and as soon as she saw the Superbirds, she went nuts and I said that I thought that she didn't like Superbirds. She said, oh I meant Superbees. I love Superbirds. I called the guy back and he had just made a deal on another racecar the day before. This is a true, heartbreaking story. Since then, I don't go by what my wife says as much. I just do the deal and explain later.
A lot of people around town are referring to my car as a Superbird. It's just too much trouble explaining the difference so I just smile and keep going.
Wait until they see the Daytona clone in a couple of months. I'm sure they'll call it a Superbird as well.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

the bracket i have for you to copy for the a/c below the alternator , is spaced to fit infront of the mech fuel pump .  We had it mounted and working but I couldnt close my hood for the alternator hitting my grabber vacuum pod .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Hemi_tyme

Nice!!! That wing sure looks right at home on the Runner  :2thumbs:

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 10, 2009, 04:11:40 PM
Today, I've driven two fake wing cars and a real hemi car. It's been a good day.  ;D
Damn, I almost had the same day as yours Larry! I drove 2 real wing cars and 1 clone Hemi car  :cheers: So is Joey's car the real Hemi car ?
Ken

FlatbackFanatic

Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

hotrod98

Quote from: Hemi_tyme on March 13, 2009, 12:51:14 PM
Nice!!! That wing sure looks right at home on the Runner  :2thumbs:

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 10, 2009, 04:11:40 PM
Today, I've driven two fake wing cars and a real hemi car. It's been a good day.  ;D
Damn, I almost had the same day as yours Larry! I drove 2 real wing cars and 1 clone Hemi car  :cheers: So is Joey's car the real Hemi car ?
Ken

Thanks Ken. Yeah, it's Joey's car. I'm going to finish assembling it for him. That car starts so nice and runs so much smoother than I expected.
Harry keeps kidding him about it sounding like a 318. It does ...sorta.
I'm still holding onto those hemi parts for you.  ;D

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Quote from: moparstuart on March 13, 2009, 10:15:25 AM
  the bracket i have for you to copy for the a/c below the alternator , is spaced to fit infront of the mech fuel pump .  We had it mounted and working but I couldnt close my hood for the alternator hitting my grabber vacuum pod .

Which pulleys and other brackets did you use with it? Sounds interesting since I don't want to lose the mech fuel pump.

Charles Addams

oldcarnut

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 12, 2009, 07:49:06 PM
a set of glass packs would work fine exiting in front of the rear wheel  . i'm doing that on my challenger  . 3 inch cherry bombs . mounted close to the collector,  exiting in front of the rear wheels .should sound sweet .  :cheers:

i just put glass packs on the daytona . they sound great . old school, 60's sound .  :2thumbs:
The 70 Chally I sold in Nov had that set up.  Former owner put them on.  At first it was a little too noisy coming out near the window but the more I drove I got used to it.  It was a 318, no headers though and not a big block.   Biggest problem was that the tips would ocasionally rub a speed bump that was a little high.

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 13, 2009, 05:53:47 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on March 13, 2009, 10:15:25 AM

Which pulleys and other brackets did you use with it? Sounds interesting since I don't want to lose the mech fuel pump.
the one i pictureearlier

billitaluminun
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

oldcarnut, What mufflers did it have?

Stuart, I'll check it out closer. I know that there are numerous pulleys and brackets for the big blocks. That was a problem when I put the crate hemi in the challenger, I had to order several different versions until I found the ones that lined up the best.

I'm going to try to get my son to help me make a video of the car going down the highway. Should look pretty good.

Charles Addams

oldcarnut

Sorry but I don't know what brand they were.  He had taken the car to a muffler shop and had them installed.  Looked to me like ordinary glasspacks.  I don't recall seeing any special brand name on them.  Fairly simple--two lead pipes, glasspacks, and then the bend to the side with round stainless tips.  Front side of the tips would make a dinging noise when gravel or whatever got thrown up from the front tires so they always needed some cleaning or polishing to keep them looking nice.   Nice deep tone but I could hear the car on the main road long time before my wife would round the corner in the neighborhood to our street.   I can only imagine how much more louder a big block with headers would be.  Personally for me I wouldn't want it for an everyday driver but a cruiser would be ok.  I guess, at almost 49yrs old, having that level of noise just about under the window everyday and more with the windows down doesn't have the same appeal as it did 30yrs ago but that's just me.

hotrod98

Original AAR/TA's had a special muffler with the inlet and outlet on the same end. Maybe it's not necessary to use that type of muffler. I would like to figure out a way to do the side exhaust thing. I just know that I don't like the looks of the exhaust pipes coming staight out the back like they are now. Looks a little redneck to me. I like the rumble that my cuda has. There's nothing like the sound of a mopar.

Here's a pic of an AAR/TA style muffler.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

mauve66

have you at least placed the decals on the uprights and held them there with tape to see if you like it??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

nascarxx29

You going with the circle superbird wing decals .I got a NOS set of white ones
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hotrod98

Quote from: mauve66 on March 14, 2009, 11:26:18 AM
have you at least placed the decals on the uprights and held them there with tape to see if you like it??

No. I've actually made a color copy of the decal before and placed it on this wing when it was on the Satellite. I might try that.

Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 14, 2009, 11:56:19 AM
You going with the circle superbird wing decals .I got a NOS set of white ones

I appreciate the offer, but I just bought a set on ebay that bigblocksam pointed out. They're the black lettered versions. I wanted black since it would match the black hood treatment a little better. I may go all out and put the black Plymouth lettering on since the wing decals look kind of plain without the quarter panel lettering.
What the heck have I started and where does it end?  ;D

Charles Addams

mauve66

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 14, 2009, 02:24:28 PM
What the heck have I started and where does it end?  ;D

does it have a HEMI in it yet??? :scratchchin: :scratchchin:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW