News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird PIT shot

Started by XS29J, March 11, 2009, 06:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: DougSchellinger on March 13, 2009, 09:18:56 AM
I wonder if this is a practice shot compared the race.   Note that the car has a full front spoiler, where in the pit stop photo, the center of the spoiler has been trimmed away and removed.    Both photos are definitely from the January race. 

The sponsor decals on the front driver's side black-n-white photo don't match the same fender on the colored Riverside photos. Notice there's a diamond-shaped decal (Goodyear?) between the UNION76 directly above the wheel-well opening/below the fender scoop and the rectangular PRESTONE decal.. Are my eyes deceiving me?

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Aero426

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 13, 2009, 10:12:34 AM

The sponsor decals on the front driver's side black-n-white photo don't match the same fender on the colored Riverside photos. Notice there's a diamond-shaped decal (Goodyear?) between the UNION76 directly above the wheel-well opening/below the fender scoop and the rectangular PRESTONE decal.. Are my eyes deceiving me?

Troy

I noticed that also.   To my eyes, the shadow outline of the Goodyear decal is there on the pit stop pic.   I think it's just the photo.   The thing is, neither photo can be from the June race because the headlight opening configuration on the nose was completely different.

RTDaddy

Window nets were not required in Jan 70.  They came in after Richard's Darlington crash.  I think the 2nd Michgan race was the debut of the window net.  I also think the rear quarter widow is down for air ducted to the rear brakes.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

Aero426

This is the June Riverside race and shows a window net.   This was the first big race after the first Michigan race and Richard's first race back after the Darlington wreck.

Is it me or does the rear wing look a little too far forward on the quarters?

CornDogsCharger

Nice photo.  The decals on the fender are completely different from the earlier race. 

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

nitrometal

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on March 13, 2009, 10:23:13 PM
Nice photo.  The decals on the fender are completely different from the earlier race. 

Justin
"CornDog"

I worked on a very, very low budget ARCA  race team about 15 years ago  and I didn't realize it before then but each race required that we place the contingency decals on the front fenders at a different location at every race.  An official would always have a drawing where they wanted them that weekend.  I guess they bid on where they would be placed to give them more exposure from race to race.  It was a pain in the ass to change those decals every race and if you didn't have them in the proper spot they wouldn't pay off at the end of the race.  I don't know if they did that back in the 70's or even today but it sure took up a lot of my time.
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

rustafarian

"I wonder if this is a practice shot compared the race.   Note that the car has a full front spoiler, where in the pit stop photo, the center of the spoiler has been trimmed away and removed.    Both photos are definitely from the January race.  "

That's not a practice lap,  Pearson is right behind him!
Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

CornDogsCharger

In the pitstop photo you can see the edge of the "P" of "Plymouth".  I wonder if it was ripped off during the race.  Would that happen to be some of it hanging below the car??

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Here are a couple videos of Petty at Riverside.  First video is where the window net was in place.  The second video is from the same race where the pit photo was taken.  He must have broke something in this race.....  Sorry, no sound.

Justin
"CornDog"
June Race Footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH07ELHkQHc

Motor Trend 500 Footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6RqXrQh4l0
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Aero426

Quote from: rustafarian on March 14, 2009, 02:49:23 PM
"I wonder if this is a practice shot compared the race.   Note that the car has a full front spoiler, where in the pit stop photo, the center of the spoiler has been trimmed away and removed.    Both photos are definitely from the January race.  "

That's not a practice lap,  Pearson is right behind him!

Actually it is Parnelli Jones in the Wood Brothers #21.  Pearson was still driving the #17 Torino.   Jones put the 1970 Cyclone on the pole.   Due to a controversy regarding tires, he had to start in the back and came through the field like a hot knife through butter.     

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701