News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's needed to modify a 1969 door for a 68?

Started by 1970Moparmann, March 12, 2009, 08:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Hope someone can help.  How much work is needed to modify a 69 door to fit the locking mechanism for a 68?

Thanks for the response!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

BlueSS454

The biggest difference is the location of the lock knob I believe.  It would require drilling a new hold for it
Tom Rightler

Ghoste

And the linkage inside of course.  Is it that hard to find to find the correct door?

dpm68

Not exactly worth the time, really. I don't have the measurements, but the up-down and related linkage is different - too much to destroy  or modify as it is.

OttawaCharger

Back N Black did it and posted a write up a couple months back:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=39121.0

I've seen it in person and you'd never know the switch was made when he was done.  :2thumbs:

Glenn
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Ghoste on March 12, 2009, 11:26:31 PM
And the linkage inside of course.  Is it that hard to find to find the correct door?

No, I found a good set of 69 doors.  I have 68 doors already that someone put on about 50 lbs of bondo on each one.  The body lines are gone-that's how much bondo and patches there are.

With the above said, I do have the linkage for a 68, so I'll have to look and see would inside the door may be an issue.  If it's as simple as drilling a new hole and a slight adjustment of something else, may be worth it.

Back N Black

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on March 13, 2009, 07:25:50 AM

No, I found a good set of 69 doors.  I have 68 doors already that someone put on about 50 lbs of bondo on each one.  The body lines are gone-that's how much bondo and patches there are.

With the above said, I do have the linkage for a 68, so I'll have to look and see would inside the door may be an issue.  If it's as simple as drilling a new hole and a slight adjustment of something else, may be worth it.

Yep! its simple, drill the hole and install the rod from the 68 door.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Back N Black on March 13, 2009, 07:35:16 AM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on March 13, 2009, 07:25:50 AM

Yep! its simple, drill the hole and install the rod from the 68 door.

Great, that's the ticket!! :2thumbs: