News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

chemical stripping my 69 project

Started by gers1968rt, January 03, 2013, 05:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gers1968rt

Just got a quote for a chemical stripping and an application of rust inhibitor for my shell, doors, hood, and fenders. Is this the best route to take, heard both pros and cons and don't want to make a mistake. My concern is how do I prevent rust from getting on the inaccessible parts, ie rockers etc. Gerry
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

Dino

I wouldn't have my car dipped if they'd do it for free.

Any Charger is pretty much covered in rust on all those inaccessible parts.  If you need to do rocker and floor work then I suggestyou cut away all the old, blast and treat the insides of rockers and rails and put the new floors down.  It'll give you the best chance but nothing is foolproof unfortunately.

Regardless of what route you take, when the car is done you need to get a good cavity wax and spray every nook and cranny.  The spray guns have a long hose and small nozzle so you can stick it in every hole along the rails.  It leaves behind a waxy film that repels water and you'll have to redo the whole thing every 5 years or so if you drive it a lot.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

gers1968rt

Thanks, I'm leaning to do just as you say, it'll be more work but my time is free. The quote was a lot of money as well.
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.