News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My V 10 Charger Project

Started by sardillim, March 15, 2009, 09:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sardillim

Photos will be posted as work progress's

mopar_nut_440_6

Welcome. I am looking forward to seeing those pics. It looks like you are already underway in the project!

Cheers,

james
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

GT

Excellent - Love the fact that we have another guy here doing the same swap!  Feel free to trade stories and Q/A.  I just finished my mock up and will be tearing mine back down to finish up the body work.

1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

sardillim

this is how I received the car after it was shipped from Alabama to CT

sardillim

Then some tear down and a good inspection of the car found that all the key structural parts were in good condition

sardillim

A dolly was made so the car can be moved around

sardillim

Here is the Car after Soda Blasting

sardillim

I was able to find a  2004 Gen 3 engine and transmission with only 4000 miles on it

sardillim

Then a viper rear clip became available and I couldn't pass it up

sardillim

before I removed the rear frame of the car I re installed the doors to make sure I still had good gaps

sardillim

A lot of time was spent measuring and test fitting

sardillim

A lot of time test fitting the engine in diffrent positions in the car, I didn't want to cut the fire wall out but I decided it would be the lesser of the evils. I did not want to put the radiator in front of the support. Beside the car will drive better with the engine further back

sardillim

Now the fun begins, custom motor mounts, the car did not want me to to have steering, exhaust and a mount on the left side again lots of time spent here, the mounts will be fully welded and reinforced when the the car is broken down

sardillim

Now a hand made trans cross member

sardillim

I think I currently own every configuration of header and exhaust manifold from a viper and srt 10 truck. I though for sure that I would use headers from a srt 10 truck but I would have clearance issues with the passengersside floor.  The solution was to use the stock Viper manifolds/headers and cut out the elbow making the look sort of like a late 60's Chevrolet Rams Horn style piece

mopar_nut_440_6

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

acelondon

69chargerboy

Quote from: acelondon on March 17, 2009, 04:53:13 PM
:o wow.

keep it up!

VERY IMPRESSIVE! Keep up the good work.... And keep up the pics!  :cheers: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_cool: :popcrn:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

runningman

sardillim

Not able to do much this weekend,  I was only  able to devote Sunday to the car, I started by dropping the engine and trans to work on the torsion bar cross member.  Who ever designed these cars so that the engine and trans can drop out the bottom of the car gets a gold star!!!!!!

sardillim

spent some time plugging and filling holes in the torsion bar cross member.   Later on I will go over filled holes with a coat of All Metal to make it nice and smooth.

sardillim

Then I focused on the area over the transmission were I had to cut a section of the torsion bar cross member. I have seen cars were part have this cross member was removed and the ends were not re-connected.    Since I am using a coil over kit in the front this cross member won't be under as much of a load as if the torsion bars were being used.  All I did was contour a piece of 1/8 inch flat and once I got the shape I wanted I reinforced it with some ΒΌ inch round stock

sardillim

Back on the car this weekend,  Pop-ed out the engine and trans and started by trimming the fire wall, I cut the majority of the fire wall out and left a 3/4 inch lip were I could so I have something to attach the new on to.  I filled in the the area were the wiper motor used to be. I am going to mate up a street rod wiper kit to the factory linkage.  When I get back on the car this weekend I will be fitting the passengers floor, once the floor is in I will start fabbing a fire wall

Purple440

That is one hell of a project. :2thumbs:

:popcrn:

Hemidog

Very nice work! you have big cohones!