News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My V 10 Charger Project

Started by sardillim, March 15, 2009, 09:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sardillim

Back at it this weekend,  I was able to finish making the panel behind the rear seat and got it installed.  Now the tricky part, I have to build the rear of the car from the outside in,  in other words the sheet metal has to go on the car first, then build the rear frame to meet the rear body and sheet metal.   Still a lot of trimming and fitting to do

Stevearino

Really good to see this project fired up again. Can't wait to see what happens next. :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

ACUDANUT

GT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 12, 2014, 03:26:10 PM
Whoa, 5 years now.

I think I'm at near 7 years now on my v10 Charger...  life happens ya' know?
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

Ghoste

You guys are good, a lot of stock restorations take that long too. :2thumbs:

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

fy469rtse

:popcrn: :popcrn: stil watching my dream car

tnthull

Very interested to see the finished product. Especially how you do the rear quarter inner structure.

sardillim

OK so as I said last week I have a lot of trimming and fitting to do  so this weeks pictures don't show a whole lot of progress.  I did manage to get the rear shelf panel in along with a lot of rear window frame repaired. I do have the upper rear body panel clamped in place just to see how it lines up.  The next step is to completely mach up the rear of the car from the doors back.  Then when I'm satisfied with all the gaps I will then figure out how continue the viper frame back to the charger rear bumper.   I also invested $175.00 in a Harbor Freight Spot Welder,  well worth the money, no drilling holes, no grinding plug welds.  The draw back is that is  very heavy and you can't get it everywhere.  I did also invest in two sets of longer off set tongs that should make getting into those hard to get at places a little easier.   

Stevearino

Progress is progress no matter how small. Looks great. :2thumbs:

Baldwinvette77

Tis awesome, i love viper swaps  :drool5:

fy469rtse

I milled up on a lathe some off set contacts , see how you go , looks great , was wondering how you were going to finish of that speaker tray area, keep posting
Great skills  :2thumbs:

sardillim

Not a lot of time this weekend , but I was able to start maching up the rear sheet metal.  As expected there are some fitment issues with the reproduction sheet metal.  My biggest problem is that the ¼'s are not fitting the wheelhouses or vise versa.  Not sure if the problem is in the panels or if something moved while fabricating the inner panels   Bottom line is that some re shaping needs to happen in the wheel arch area.   Also  I wish I never cut the old 1/4s off at the factory seam, the way the panels are layered makes it very difficult to install the new panel under the roof.  The good news is that everything at the rear lines up good so far, I will know the whole story when a trunk lid is back on the car,  (would have done it today but could not find the trunk hinges).  I hope to get a day and a ½ in next weekend.  Got to find those hinges and get the trunk lid on.

fy469rtse

woo woo  :popcrn: :popcrn:, been waiting on this build to get my fix,
there's been some issues with the rear deck panel not quite wide enough, i had issues with the amd piece, and a few of the guys builds on here i have seen,
could i twist your arm to clamp everything in place , qtr's, deck panel with boot lid installed, just so you dont have to re-do anything,
by the way great work
:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

sardillim

Thanks for the heads up,  I have no doubt that there will be some fitting issues, I have every belief that the sheetmetal will be on and off a 100 times before its finally welded in place

Dino

Great work!   :2thumbs:

Regarding the C pillar, the stock design is really poor and it would not take much to get rid of the double seam and butt weld a strip of sheet metal in.  The pillar will be perfect and will never flex or sag at that old joint.  No need for lead or filler either. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bulleteater

Dude that is amazing! Only stuff I see to that extent is on TV. Great job! I can't wait to see the final pic  :popcrn:
Brant

Cop Magnet

Hey, any updates?? Have been checking here regularly. Don't give up!

sardillim

no updates   but there will be soon,  getting cold here, all the leaves are almost down.  After leaf clean up on back on the car.
   Thanks for your intrest

Mike

Musicman

sardillim

Hello All

It's been a while but got back on the car for a little while today.   I didn't make much progress (nothing photo worthy) , just basically re-assessed everything and planed out my next few steps.   More to come soon

Stevearino

1974Mopar

Possibly, by far, the coolest build iv seen yet. Mad props to you, sir. Keep pics coming and ill keep drooling :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
When in doubt, power it out.

sardillim

Spent a little more time on the car today, still nothing picture worthy,  having  trouble getting the quarter panels to fit the outer wheel house.  I'm going to have to cut the lip off the inners on both sides and re-make them. I should start posting photos next weekend.

green69rt

Just a thought that might help.... make sure you also check the fit of the eyebrow pieces that go on the tail end of the quarter so the profile of the quarter matches that of the eyebrow.  It will be too late if you wait till the quarter is installed.  I didn't see any in your pics so just a reminder.