News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My V 10 Charger Project

Started by sardillim, March 15, 2009, 09:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sardillim

good to know,  haven't got back there yet,   I'm working from the lock pillar back

six-tee-nine

Quote from: green69rt on December 21, 2014, 07:58:17 PM
Just a thought that might help.... make sure you also check the fit of the eyebrow pieces that go on the tail end of the quarter so the profile of the quarter matches that of the eyebrow.  It will be too late if you wait till the quarter is installed.  I didn't see any in your pics so just a reminder.

Please do think about that.....he's right
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

green69rt

Another point with the back of the quarter, that needs to be done before hanging the quarter.  I see that you are not there yet but for future reference.... the valance corners have traditionally been a problem, none of the repops seem to work, but one of the guys on here has discovered a way, look about halfway down on this thread on page 20.  Just text, no pictures but it might help.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,90903.475.html

Ok, maybe just adding the text is easier.   Quoting form CDR.  "3rd is the lower 1/4 end caps,seems they dont fit,everyone slices them & adds metal at the cap to 1/4 seam,well my car was untouched in this area & what i found is,the factory welded the cap on the 1/4 before installing it,then hang the panel,then to get the cap fit correct they would twist the end of the rear cross member,right where the end cap welds on,most people have to replace this cross member & they are straight & their original was rusted & gone & did not know that the ends had been hit in or twisted from the factory on MOST cars .no slicing on mine,they fit great."

sardillim

all good points, I'm going to do a full mach up with the doors and lid on the car before I weld anything

sardillim

OK so I was able to get some time in this weekend. Not only do the quarters not fit around the wheel house but they seem to be a bit long between the lock pillar and the front of the wheel opening.  I knew I had a problem when I had trouble getting the quarter to line up with the bottom of the lock pillar.  I decided to re install the door and fender to see how far off I am.  Sure enough the lower door overlaps the quarter.  No other solution but to slice the quarter and remove a sliver of material.  I will be tackling the wheel house issue next week

sardillim

more pictures

green69rt

Wow, that looks like a lot of "slice".   I had the same problem but only needed about 1/8" of metal removed to get my gap back. Was it a problem with the quarter or will you ever know??

Edit, We were posting at the same time, I see that you had the same problem as me and came to the same solution. Nice to have someone share my pain.

sardillim

it was about a 1/4 inch at the widest point. my guess the problem is in the quarter but I can't be sure since so much work has been done to the body

green69rt

Quote from: sardillim on December 28, 2014, 07:43:27 PM
it was about a 1/4 inch at the widest point. my guess the problem is in the quarter but I can't be sure since so much work has been done to the body

Yeah, I understand.  I always blame it on a previous owner... :lol:

fy469rtse

Looks great,  :popcrn: :popcrn:
What date will you have it ready for me to pick , and how much do I make the IOU out for  :lol:
This is going to one great car ,

sardillim

Not much to show this weekend.  Remade the lip if the outer wheelhouse and got the lock pillar welded in.  if anyone is planning on using AMD lock pillars they are a perfect fit

sardillim

Finally both 1/4 panels are welded at the lock pillar only.   I left the rest of the panels loose so I can now set the trunk gaps.  These Panels were a challenge to get gaped correctly at the doors.  Lots of cutting, slicing and finessing.  Next step is to install the upper rear body panel, tail panel and lower rear panels

Thank you member garner7555  for the measurements

MxRacer855

sardillim

Got the back end of the car clamped together. Having some issues fitting the panels together.  I see more cutting and welding in my future.

fy469rtse

i would leave that clamped for the time being,
find your rear window and drop that in , just so you know whats going be altered , qtr's or dutchman ,
the glass on these dont have a lot of area to seal on so i would check that with glass, first glance quarters are off ,  :Twocents:

Cncguy

Yep that looks like your 1/4".

sardillim

Forgot to mention the other problem is that I'm running out of vise grips   

Stevearino

Glad to see you are back at it. :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

green69rt

Quote from: sardillim on March 23, 2015, 08:38:21 PM
Forgot to mention the other problem is that I'm running out of vise grips   

Never have enough do ya.   I think I have about 40 and sometimes I had wished I had 80.

Cncguy

You should try using clecos.

Stevearino

sardillim

don't like making holes if I don't have to   just spent $300.00  on e bay for a bunch more vise grips

mopar4don

Quote from: sardillim on March 24, 2015, 08:39:13 PM
don't like making holes if I don't have to   just spent $300.00  on e bay for a bunch more vise grips
So sheet metal screws wouldnt work for you either?

sardillim

only when absolutely necessary

sardillim

getting there