News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Propane X Charger 500 - Where is it now?

Started by Aero426, March 24, 2009, 09:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Thanks.   How did that car do when it was raced, and why did they stop?    The car was really heavy at almost 4200 lbs. 

C5X DAYTONA

Gary Nicholes still has pictures of the X car the day the brought it home from dealer.   The car was stripped out as soon as it arrived.   I don't remember the times the X car ran.           

Gary also took a 69 440 Daytona to Bonneville in 69 or 70.   He put a Hemi in it with 2.76s and went 199 mph.    Gary has the time slips for that event too and tons of pictures.       Redbird knows where the Daytona is sitting (burnt) but said the guy was very private IIRC.   I know the car was in Grand Junction a few years back but don't know if it's still there.         
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

Aero426

Did Chrysler give him the car?   I assume they got some help from the Propane Association on the quarter panels. 

Redbird

I corresponded with J.D. Tone at the SCTA a number of years ago. At the time J.D. was responsible for any replacement timing tags that were needed. He has the old Bonneville record results by year.

J.D. looked the old records he had on the "K & W Products Special" ie the Daytona. His records showed 182.18 MPH in B Production in 1970, driver listed as Greg Nichols, 4th in class. J.D.'s records showed that from 1972 on up "Nichols and Cheverton" went to Bonneville in a Roadster class (ie 1932 or so body style) using the same entry name.

This is very similar to what I have been told by another source. And the car's owner had told me it was Gary Nichols who drove it in 1970. I am of the belief that the Daytona was only at Bonneville 1 year.

Redbird

FWIW,

It took me several years to realize that Terry Nichels, Ray Nichels, and Gary Nichols were not all in the same family, especially when I had been given the name Gary Nichels too. Nichels and Nichols sound a lot alike when someone says the name.

Then I asked a stupid question one day and was told "of course Nichols and Nichels aren't the same family." At that time some of the stories made a lot more sense.

Galen

C5X DAYTONA

I have to go out and see Gary again. Great guy and very personable.    He lives in Borrago Springs CA,  He had a thriving Texaco station there and a tow service till the IRS took it.        I swore his comment pertaining the Daytona at Bonneville was,   "I was 1 MPH away from going 200."   I took pictures of his slips and photos and they all came out blurry but still legible.   I had the shutter speed adjusted wrong..   Dumb rookie move on my part..   I asked Gary what happened to the car after the event at Bonneville and he said it went back to K&W and didn't know anything after that.     It was a one time deal.   

Jim Lindsey had told me the same thing years ago.  That there was a Daytona on the salt before Isaac and before he was there with his Superbird.     

Yes, "Nichols and Cheverton" is Gary and his partner.   The transmission they ran in that 32ish roadster was the 4-speed transmission from the Propane X car.    Gary Nicholes also ran a 65 Max Wedge Plymouth in the Mint 400 off road race in Nevada.   It was on the 1966 Mint program jumping a sand dune.  Outrageous.    I have a horrible picture of the program but I have not been able to find a copy to purchase.   He ran a 66 Corvette after the 1 race in the Plymouth.   Gary said they destroyed that car. 

Gary also drove for Hot Rod a few times.   I have seen some pictures of him in a red 1962 Chrysler coupe at Pomona.

Galen..  Is the guy in CO with the Daytona aware of the cars history?   Gary has many documents that should go with the car and I have the original rear wheels and tires from the car after it made the run on the salt.   

C5X DAYTONA

Nicholes K&W on salt 1970

Redbird

Sean,

I was told that the person in the picture at Bonneville you posted is Carlos Cheverton, not sure on the spelling. Is that one of the pictures that someone posted on landracing.com a few years ago from Bonneville in 1970?

I never checked with J.D. Tone, but I am of the belief that Lindsley's Superbird was at Bonneville in 1970 too. There is a picture of it at Bonneville with the white paint scheme on the landspeed.com web site with other pictures of 1970. If one reads the Petersen's Complete Book of C/P/D it seems to suggest 1970 too.

I don't believe K & W ever owned the Daytona. Having seen it a number of times over a couple of decades I don't believe it was ever burnt. I think you have a couple of stories intermixed and I know both of them.

I have been researching and writing notes about the Daytona for about 20 years. It will be in Doug's newsletter when I finish it, I have just been more interested in researching about 1970 Chrysler literature the last few years.

So if you were to sell the original wheels back to the owner, what kind of price would you want for him only?

Galen

Picture of the K & W Daytona trunk about 20 years ago.

Aero426

Propane X press folder.

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: Redbird on July 18, 2013, 11:31:37 PM
Sean,

I was told that the person in the picture at Bonneville you posted is Carlos Cheverton, not sure on the spelling. Is that one of the pictures that someone posted on landracing.com a few years ago from Bonneville in 1970?

I never checked with J.D. Tone, but I am of the belief that Lindsley's Superbird was at Bonneville in 1970 too. There is a picture of it at Bonneville with the white paint scheme on the landspeed.com web site with other pictures of 1970. If one reads the Petersen's Complete Book of C/P/D it seems to suggest 1970 too.

I don't believe K & W ever owned the Daytona. Having seen it a number of times over a couple of decades I don't believe it was ever burnt. I think you have a couple of stories intermixed and I know both of them.

I have been researching and writing notes about the Daytona for about 20 years. It will be in Doug's newsletter when I finish it, I have just been more interested in researching about 1970 Chrysler literature the last few years.

So if you were to sell the original wheels back to the owner, what kind of price would you want for him only?

Galen

Picture of the K & W Daytona trunk about 20 years ago.
Galen,    

I got the photo of the Daytona on the salt from Jim Radke years ago.   I remember many many years ago Jim had posted a note in the WW Newsletter that he was looking for info on the car.   When I met Gary it all came clear.

Correct.  K&W did not own the car as to what Gary said.     I don't remember who Gary said owned the car but he said it went to Michigan after they were done IIRC..  

Here is a picture of the Daytona.  It looks like the headlight doors are burnt/melted out of it but the cars glass looks fine.      My good friend Dave Lolley looked at the Daytona and Superbird when the guy in Grand Junction took them to a show there in Grand Junction and had and said they were both burnt.  That is why I say that.   The bird defiantly looks burnt but the Daytona had me puzzled as the glass was in great shape and the metal didn't look warped in photos.

He can have the wheels and tires..   But I want to see the car first..  Does that sound like a fair trade?

Have you talked to Gary Nicholes?  Super nice guy.    I talked to Randy at MCG and he didn't seam interested in doing a story on him..    He has a photo album of all his cars and his life in racing.   Tons of Propane and this Daytona's pictures from new car delivery the builds and all the time slips and other good stuff.  

Lindsley being there in 1970 with the Bird is very likely.    He had just said there was a Daytona there before he was.     He was also talking about Bobby Issac so maybe he ment another Daytona was there before Isaac was.   This was back in 1988 when I was on Vernon Judy's pit crew.     

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: Aero426 on July 18, 2013, 03:58:57 PM
Thanks.   How did that car do when it was raced, and why did they stop?    The car was really heavy at almost 4200 lbs. 
I read low 11s at 118mph.    Wasn't it more of an exhibition car that a race car?

Redbird

I'm sorry these two subjects got mixed together the Propane X and Daytona. At least we have a story of where the transmission of the Propane X car spent some time.

Sean, you are right, the Superbird was in a fire. I was told the fire was in Glenwood Springs. I have a lot more pictures of both the cars I took on that day 20 years ago. They show the twisted metal of the Superbird. Last time I saw the Superbird it was in a bit worse shape than the pictures posted, I have later pictures and the serial numbers of everything. Having seen both cars, I don't believe the Daytona suffered anything other than being stored in the desert with custom paint job that came off and the sun doing a number on the headlights/fender scoops/interior and anything else the sun can ruin.

I have never talked to Gary Nichols, I do not know how to get a hold of him.

I'll contact the owner again, may take a few days, Thanks!

nascarxx29

It used to reside at Wrightstown Base in Fort Dix NJ . Propane X Hemi 500 used to be in my area going wayback .It was in wrightstown NJ at Fort Dix friends of mine saw it on the base.
Propane X a red white stripe 69 charger 500 426 automatic car from NJ never registered with 12 miles on it XX29J9B110615 of SGT Deanna Broyles Wrightstown NJ ..The base had its own dragstrip for the miltary personel it was called stratarods.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: nascarxx29 on July 19, 2013, 09:50:48 AM
It used to reside at Wrightstown Base in Fort Dix NJ . Propane X Hemi 500 used to be in my area going wayback .It was in wrightstown NJ at Fort Dix friends of mine saw it on the base.
Propane X a red white stripe 69 charger 500 426 automatic car from NJ never registered with 12 miles on it XX29J9B110615 of SGT Deanna Broyles Wrightstown NJ ..The base had its own dragstrip for the miltary personel it was called stratarods.
It is a 4 speed car. The numbers trans is in it.      An automatic was installed as Gary said,   "as soon as we got the car home from the dealership."   Gary lived in Whittier CA.   Just up the road from us in Cerritos back then.

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: Redbird on July 19, 2013, 09:46:58 AM
I'm sorry these two subjects got mixed together the Propane X and Daytona. At least we have a story of where the transmission of the Propane X car spent some time.

Sean, you are right, the Superbird was in a fire. I was told the fire was in Glenwood Springs. I have a lot more pictures of both the cars I took on that day 20 years ago. They show the twisted metal of the Superbird. Last time I saw the Superbird it was in a bit worse shape than the pictures posted, I have later pictures and the serial numbers of everything. Having seen both cars, I don't believe the Daytona suffered anything other than being stored in the desert with custom paint job that came off and the sun doing a number on the headlights/fender scoops/interior and anything else the sun can ruin.

I have never talked to Gary Nichols, I do not know how to get a hold of him.

I'll contact the owner again, may take a few days, Thanks!
You got more than where the transmission spent time.  Propane X and Rated X are same car.  Also where the car went when it became Rated X.   Another note on X is that after the car was painted 15ish years ago someone hit the 1/4 panel with a baseball bat pretty hard by some jack a** that was pissed it was blocking the sidewalk..  

Gary is very approachable and like I said before.  A super guy who knows the X car like the back of his hand.  I'll get you his contact info.  I would love to see his story and both cars in print.    

Sorry to mix both cars into one thread but Gary Nicholes had a major part in both cars.   It seams fitting.

A good dozen years ago both the bird and tona were on trailers at a Grand Junction Mopar show.   I do have a few pictures of them at that show..  I need to get a new scanner.   My computer is not recognizing it for some reason.

tan top

this is a good thread , love reading about the ole storys & pictures of back in the day ,  awesome stuff guys thanks for sharing  :cheers:

not sure if i posted this before of propaneX  ,
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

C5X DAYTONA

I gave Gary Nicholes a ring.  Both numbers are no longer in service.   I have an old car buddy that lives near him.   I will try that before I drive out there when it's not 110f.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701