News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Value

Started by 73rallye440magnum, November 09, 2005, 08:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blown70

Quote from: 451-74Charger on November 10, 2005, 11:09:22 AM
The only reason i want to be affraid of driving my Charger, is Scary power.
If i had to sit and just look at it, i wouldnt bother buying it.
Chargers (even Daytonas) need to go play !!

I agree 100%

BigBlockSam

i know this car, i passed on it before this guy bought it.i was offered the car for $25000 .  yrs ago through the winged warriors. it needs everything. and whats there is rust. he had it up on ebay twice and it didn't sell. if you would   love to own a daytona and it's a labor of love, na . i would still look for a differant car. rite now the wing car market has fallen abit. that car would not be good for an investment. i am looking for a superbird, they use to be out of my price range but now there getting closer.
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

BigBlockSam

don't use ebay for a price comparison. those big cars have alot of shill bidding. you see wing cars go up to $180000. funny that they never hit the reserve. the last two real wing cars that i saw hit the reserve on ebay was a white bird fully restored , that was in the $80000
's and there's another white bird on there now that hit the reserve at $71000. the market has defiantly gotten soft. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Ghoste

Don't use any auction as a price guide.  There is plenty of shill bidding at a live auction too and quite often you end up bidding against yourself.  There is a reason they maintain a carnival atmosphere.

69_500

Auctions aren't a very good gauge of what the actual market value of a car is in my opinion. However they are a decent clue. There have been plenty of the Daytona's to be sold at prices ranging from $165-210K over the past 6 months. However I can only think of 1 of those that was at an auction. Most of the Daytona's I see for sale on Ebay never meet their reserves, and are sold long after the auction ends.

48chebbie

better be very careful with this car in particular. there are a few threads on the net about this car. check the numbers and the guys info close,you will find that this car is not a daytona,but a charger 500.
how'd i do that!?!?!?

hemigeno

Quote from: 48chebbie on November 12, 2005, 12:09:33 AM
better be very careful with this car in particular. there are a few threads on the net about this car. check the numbers and the guys info close,you will find that this car is not a daytona,but a charger 500.

If you're referring to the Moparts.com thread, I think that thread got a little off course.  They started talking about another VIN that had nothing to do with this car.  Then all of a sudden, that VIN was assumed to be the VIN of this yellow car.  This is a real Daytona, not a 500 being masqueraded as a wing car.

I started to say something on Moparts, but I usually try to stay out of the fracases over there if I can. 

Geno

48chebbie

i was wondering where they got the VIN over there,i never saw it in the for sale ad for the car. real daytona or not,still ain't worth $85K 
$20K maybe,if you were REAL ambitious.
how'd i do that!?!?!?

Ghoste

Unless, of course, somebody owns one of those goofy looking, flying DeLoreans and they know something we don't about Daytona values about to suddenly explode like a nuke.  ;)

BigBlockSam

thats a real daytona. it's got all the paperwork from the factory too. well documented car. if they offered it to me today at $25000 i'd take it and flip it make some cash. i couldn't afford to restore it. Rene

69_500

Anyone have a link to the moparts thread? I tried to look it up but didn't get anything on a search. Was just curious as to which VIN they were throwing around.

taxspeaker

Interesting read nearly 15 years later!

chargerbird

if you have to talk someone else to buy a car because you dont have the money...its a bad start..plus your dad like to retire and having money in a car like this would be better spend buying a home or rental...    s

Birdflu

Quote from: 69_500 on November 11, 2005, 09:17:29 AM
Daytona's to be sold at prices ranging from $165-210K over the past 6 months.

Interesting that the values (of at least current 440-4bbl cars) haven't changed that much in 13 years...

odcics2

Quote from: Birdflu on January 23, 2019, 09:48:10 PM

Interesting that the values (of at least current 440-4bbl cars) haven't changed that much in 13 years...

Textbook definition of a "flat market"!   

If you had a car worth $175,000. in 2005, it would have to sell for $230,549. today TO BREAK EVEN, just due to inflation.  Anything less is a loss.

Good thing most Daytona owners have the cars because we like them, not for financial gain!
Anyone can see they are a poor long term "investment" strategy!   

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

It would be interesting to see what other cars have done in the same time frame.

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on January 24, 2019, 09:00:57 AM
Quote from: Birdflu on January 23, 2019, 09:48:10 PM

Textbook definition of a "flat market"!   

If you had a car worth $175,000. in 2005, it would have to sell for $230,549. today TO BREAK EVEN, just due to inflation.  Anything less is a loss.

Good thing most Daytona owners have the cars because we like them, not for financial gain!
Anyone can see they are a poor long term "investment" strategy!   

Look on the bright side.     You could be selling in 2008.   

Mopar John

Aero426,
It is interesting that you mention the year 2008 and Daytona values.
Here are some thoughts that come to mind.
We took our Daytona in for a complete restoration in the fall of that year.
The shop labor rate was $50.00 per hour.
It is now $65.00 per hour!
So if we use the 1,000 hours that were used it will cost $15,000.00 more in labor to restore the same car!
When you add in the cost of all the materials going up probably closer to $20,000.00 more.
Since 2008 the amount of original and NOS parts have shrunk and the prices of whats left have gone up.
So if you are lucky enough to have been sitting on a unrestored Daytona it will cost you more to do a lesser car!
Also during this time several project Daytonas have been restored making entry level cars harder to find and more costly.
Almost all the restored and nice Daytonas are being driven less and stored better.
But as said earlier the values for restored Daytonas have not moved much since 2008.
So your better off buying a well done already restored Daytona!
MJ

gtx6970

IMO.
To pay ANYTHING close to $85 for that car,,,,,,AND  pay any reputable shop to restore that car beginning to end will easily exceed 200k

SO I ask,,,whats done ( I'll say very nicely done btw )  440 Daytona sell for these days ?

Ghoste

The other notable thing in the last 13 years is a big recession and the bubble bursting on an out of control muscle car feeding frenzy.  We spent a lot of time recovering.

RSI700VIPER

Quote from: gtx6970 on January 24, 2019, 07:18:09 PM
IMO.
To pay ANYTHING close to $85 for that car,,,,,,AND  pay any reputable shop to restore that car beginning to end will easily exceed 200k

SO I ask,,,whats done ( I'll say very nicely done btw )  440 Daytona sell for these days ?

Just last week, a nicely restored orange auto on floor sold for $190K at BJ last year, and I saw a very nice Blue auto on floor Daytona sell for $215,000.00 at Mecum in Harrisburg.  Pretty sure the Harrisburg price included commissions so figure maybe $195K?
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

odcics2

Quote from: RSI700VIPER on January 25, 2019, 08:43:10 AM
Quote from: gtx6970 on January 24, 2019, 07:18:09 PM
IMO.
To pay ANYTHING close to $85 for that car,,,,,,AND  pay any reputable shop to restore that car beginning to end will easily exceed 200k

SO I ask,,,whats done ( I'll say very nicely done btw )  440 Daytona sell for these days ?

Just last week, a nicely restored orange auto on floor sold for $190K at BJ last year, and I saw a very nice Blue auto on floor Daytona sell for $215,000.00 at Mecum in Harrisburg.  Pretty sure the Harrisburg price included commissions so figure maybe $195K?

Same as getting $152,700 in 2005!!   (per inflation index)    :brickwall:

Mopar John

odcics2,
Since you were a previous owner of the Daytona that sold at BJ last week for $190,000.00.
Could you tell us what you think about that car?
Is it matching numbers? Does it have all original Daytona nose, hood fenders, trunk, wing etc?
When was it restored and at what level of restoration?
You mentioned the trans was modified and you have some of the original parts as an example.
Thanks! MJ

73rallye440magnum

Time flies, and I still don't have a Daytona.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

70 sublime

Of the 500 or so Daytonas built , right now what is the least expensive one out there to buy ??

Least expensive can mean a lot of different things so

A driveable car no matter how pretty it looks or does not look

OR

The cheapest project Daytona out there even if it needs everything like the ravine car did

If anyone knows of a car that could be bought please share a price even if you can not share a location   
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

odcics2

Quote from: Mopar John on January 25, 2019, 10:51:59 AM
odcics2,
Since you were a previous owner of the Daytona that sold at BJ last week for $190,000.00.
Could you tell us what you think about that car?
Is it matching numbers? Does it have all original Daytona nose, hood fenders, trunk, wing etc?
When was it restored and at what level of restoration?
You mentioned the trans was modified and you have some of the original parts as an example.
Thanks! MJ

I sold it to Sullivan in 1998. It went to another guy and then another! No idea what the restoration level was!
It had the original motor and trans when I had it.
Also had the original front end, when I had it.
I sold it with a BUNCH of NOS parts that went to Harold's other Daytona, from what I have heard.
I heard that things got swapped around between the 2 cars...