News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Paint Code

Started by CornDogsCharger, March 27, 2009, 07:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CornDogsCharger

I read somewhere that the correct color for the Superbird's engine should be Street Hemi Orange.  But I have also heard that the rattle-can Street Hemi orange is not the correct shade.  Does anyone have a paint code for it?

Thanks
Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

maxwellwedge

Is the car a Hemi or a 440. 440's were never "Street Hemi Orange". They (and most 70-71 340's and various 383's) had their own orange. Save your time and trouble and buy the the paint from Roger Gibson/Frank Badalson - It is dead nuts and lays on great. It has the right semi/gloss/flatness too - if that makes any sense.  ;D

maxwellwedge

Here is a '70 440-6 with their paint.

maxwellwedge

More Pics... Last pic is Street Hemi Orange on a ....Street Hemi - Notice the difference?

CornDogsCharger

That engine looks awesome!!!!  Yes, this is for the 440-6 that is going in the 'Bird I'm working on.  So the engine is supposed to be standard Hemi Orange?  Will the paint code still be the same as the exterior color code?  Any other time I would probably order the paint from Roger/Frank but Spies Hecker/Dupont is supplying all of the paint for this car.  

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

62 Max

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 27, 2009, 09:05:15 PM
More Pics... Last pic is Street Hemi Orange on a ....Street Hemi - Notice the difference?

Are you sure the last one isn't Race Hemi orange?

maxwellwedge

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on March 27, 2009, 09:10:39 PM
That engine looks awesome!!!!  Yes, this is for the 440-6 that is going in the 'Bird I'm working on.  So the engine is supposed to be standard Hemi Orange?  Will the paint code still be the same as the exterior color code?  Any other time I would probably order the paint from Roger/Frank but Spies Hecker/Dupont is supplying all of the paint for this car.  

Justin
"CornDog"

No Justin - The Hemi's had their own orange. The 70 440 HP's (and other motors previously mentioned) had their own unique orange. A quart is more than you will need. Their paint is PPG and they already did all the research/matching from nice original cars to get the color and the shine right. There are flattening agents in their paint. It's $45.00 per pint. Also - The air Cleaner lid is its own special color as well - They have that paint too. The V2 exterior color is not the same.
Jim

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 62 Max on March 27, 2009, 09:17:07 PM

Are you sure the last one isn't Race Hemi orange?

It's actually the original paint on a survivor GTX I have. Technically there were 2 Street Hemi Oranges - 66 to early 69, and late 69-71. Mine is an early 69. It actually does look a bit like Race Hemi orange in that pic - may be the camera flash. I'll post another pic under the first one to compare.

pettybird

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on March 27, 2009, 07:43:50 PM
But I have also heard that the rattle-can Street Hemi orange is not the correct shade. 

I can send you six different cans of street hemi orange, and none of them match anything. 

hey Maxwell what did the factory do about the paint on the spark plugs?  did they clean it off or did the spark plug wires and their current sufficiently cut into the paint?

426HemiCharger

The ambient lighting may affect the way a picture looks, I would go with anything by Dupli-Color or Mopar (rattlecan). :2thumbs:

Dupli-Color is spot on!!! :yesnod:
------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 426HemiCharger on March 28, 2009, 08:00:47 AM
The ambient lighting may affect the way a picture looks, I would go with anything by Dupli-Color or Mopar (rattlecan). :2thumbs:

Dupli-Color is spot on!!! :yesnod:

I think that's ok if you want to touch up a water pump to get a car ready for an auction but if you are doing a complete top to bottom resto of anything  worth more than a slant six Valiant (sorry D. Walden !  :icon_smile_big:) you need to spend a relatively small amount of money on proper paint for something as important as one of the most important things in a muscle car - the engine. Out of the gun is the way to go for this project.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: pettybird on March 28, 2009, 03:25:55 AM
Quote from: CornDogsCharger on March 27, 2009, 07:43:50 PM
But I have also heard that the rattle-can Street Hemi orange is not the correct shade. 

I can send you six different cans of street hemi orange, and none of them match anything. 

hey Maxwell what did the factory do about the paint on the spark plugs?  did they clean it off or did the spark plug wires and their current sufficiently cut into the paint?

They had a masking tube over them at the plant...I have seen bits of paint on the hex area of original plugs. The ones in the pics are a set I use for painting.....keep meaning to try the factory way on the plugs. I always get everything else masked, blocked off, capped, assembled etc. and always forget about the plugs until it's too late.

XS29J8

I have never found a rattle can that is even close to matching the 68 HEMI Orange Engine paint. I had to touch up some areas on my engine and the paint from Dave Ferro Totally Auto was close. I would give Roger Gibson and Frank B. a shot as they are the prominent voices on HEMI Restoration in the Hobby!

I see the exhaust tubes are not painted on your original HEMI Maxwellwedge, mine were removed and plated off early in life but I don't remember if they were painted. All the asbestos sheathing is painted and the ground cables front and rear on my 68............

Steve
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

hotrod98

Back when I owned a couple of Paintmaster automotive paint stores, I created seven different versions of hemi orange. Three versions of engine color all with 10% flattener, one accurate exterior color with the metallic in base/clear and single stage urethane and one exterior color without the metallic in base/clear and single stage urethane. I left the formulas with the store when I sold it and they almost immediately threw my entire formula library away. Idiots.
A couple of years ago, I created new formulas for the regular non-hemi hemi orange engine paint and the base/clear version of exterior hemi orange without the metallic. In my opinion, the non metallic exterior color is much cleaner and more vibrant than the metallic version. The metallic makes the color milky.
Does any of this make sense?   ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

QuoteSave your time and trouble and buy the the paint from Roger Gibson/Frank Badalson -

do you have a link or a # for Roger Gibson . i'm rebuilding a 69  sixpack motor .

did you also paint the exhaust manifolds orange?  was that how the factory did it ? thanks
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

maxwellwedge

Quote from: XS29J8 on March 28, 2009, 10:16:58 AM

I see the exhaust tubes are not painted on your original HEMI Maxwellwedge, mine were removed and plated off early in life but I don't remember if they were painted. All the asbestos sheathing is painted and the ground cables front and rear on my 68............

Steve

Actually - The one that went to the the bolted flange on the manifold was painted - just that the paint was 75% gone. The other tube from the intake to the nipple on the the H-Pipe is not painted...It was put on after the engine was painted. The asbestos on the dipstick tube and off the exhaust manifold is painted (but mostly gone now) and the little little breather tube off the exhaust manifold still shows a lot of paint.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 28, 2009, 02:42:51 PM
QuoteSave your time and trouble and buy the the paint from Roger Gibson/Frank Badalson -

do you have a link or a # for Roger Gibson . i'm rebuilding a 69  sixpack motor .

did you also paint the exhaust manifolds orange?  was that how the factory did it ? thanks

rogergibsonautorestoraton.com Download his catalog - they have a lot of stuff for 69-1/2's.    Frank -  804-275-2155

heres a link to my six-pack Bee   http://www.moparaction.com/Article/Six-Pack/Six-Pack.html

The factory painted the exhaust manifolds on pretty well everything including Hemi's and 440's. I always paint them. Nothing smells better than paint burning off the manifolds in the morning... :icon_smile_big:

426HemiCharger

Well I would get rattle can high Heat primer and do the whole engine in it then order V2 (Hemi Orange) body paint then spray it on with an HVLP gun, then shoot it with clear, wet sand it, and clear it again.  That's how I would go about painting an engine.  Please no :scratchchin: :icon_smile_angry: or anthing like that. Thank you.
------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)

Troy

Quote from: 426HemiCharger on March 29, 2009, 11:41:45 AM
Well I would get rattle can high Heat primer and do the whole engine in it then order V2 (Hemi Orange) body paint then spray it on with an HVLP gun, then shoot it with clear, wet sand it, and clear it again.  That's how I would go about painting an engine.  Please no :scratchchin: :icon_smile_angry: or anthing like that. Thank you.
Suggestion: maybe you should buy a car first. ;) Metallic paint and clear coat on an engine isn't going to be anywhere close to the "correct" stock look. Have you been paying attention to the rest of this car's restoration? This is not a situation where you want to deviate (too far) from the factory process.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

maxwellwedge

BigBlockSam

Quotehe factory painted the exhaust manifolds on pretty well everything including Hemi's and 440's. I always paint them. Nothing smells better than paint burning off the manifolds in the morning... icon_smile_big

thank you for the contact info

wow! your bee is nuts .what an outstanding car.  :cheers: i like that idea of painting the exhaust manifolds .that's cool.Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

maxwellwedge

Here is how they look when the paint burns (mostly) off.

b5blue

Hey the fuel pump on there...it's not a Carter M4845 is it?  :o

maxwellwedge

I do believe it was...that car didn't have an original pump on it when I got it and I was fresh out of NOS pumps...I hate when that happens  ;D

b5blue

My re-reorder one didn't come in yet but I thought they didn't have the "block" on the bottom...just a "nut" on the side of the tube. Are they different from 69 to 70 maybe that's what I see? :shruggy: