News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vinyl Top Replacement....let the games begin!

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, March 31, 2009, 04:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Ok to try and make it short I'm sure you all have opened the "can o' worms" at one time or another whilst working on your cars.....

Well I opened up another can again.....always seem to have an endless supply with this car...

Innocently enough, since I havent really purchased or done anything to the car in a few years, I figured I'd buy a new replacement rear window to replace the DA sander scratched original one in the car & correct my "high chrome molding" issue I had back there because I thought the wrong size butyl tape was used....WRONG! :rotz:

Upon removing the trim I remembered that when I had the car painted, 11 years ago, the rear glass was already installed with "new" clips.  Turns out the wrong clips were installed & I had to use a dremel to cut them down...didnt think anything of it back then...also when the new vinyl top was put on, since the rear glass was installed already, the top shop cut the top around the already installed clips.

Now taking the trim off to cut the glass out I discovered it was the incorrect clips causing my trim problem (major problem was the fact that the "check mark" pieces were bending up & cracking because the surround moldings were hitting it)and not the butyl tape.

Doing a test fit of the new clips revealed that yes now the molding sits in the rear channel as it should but the body is now exposed because the old top was cut around the larger clips.... ::)  See below for a clip comparo...the correct ones on the right

To make a short story even shorter, a new Legendary top was ordered today (having a sale & free shipping as well...$114 to my door) takes 2 weeks for them to make....for what ever reason they dont stock these.. :shruggy:

I'm taking the car to a top shop local to me to have them replace the top & remove & reseal my leaking like a sieve front windshield...effectively killing 5 birds with one stone.  Now I have to dig in & take off ALL the chrome trim now...

1---10+ years ago the repro tops didnt have the correct "fold" on the A pilliars
2--- Repair leaking front windshield
3--- Install new piece of rear glass
4--- Cure the vinyl top fitting problem I had
5--- reglue the vinyl that was coming undone on the sail panel area

Wish me luck!!   :grouphug:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dans 68

Good luck... I will be watching with interest. :popcrn:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

mopar_nut_440_6

Good luck with the mini project. I am sure you will be happy to get these issues fixed in particular the leaking front windshield!

Would you mind taking  a few pics of the clip placement along the bottom and post as I had to make 3 patches for my sail panels and dutch panel which was rusted out and am not exactly sure where the clips should be placed and at what depth. If it is not too much problem would you be able to run a tape measure beside them from say the seam where the dutch panel meets the sail panel?

If this is too much of a pain do not worry about it as I will get it figured but this may make things a tad better than just a mystery guess.

Where did you get the clips?

I also notice on the lip around my car it appears that some type of heavy staple was used to cinch down my vinyl top. Is this normal? Should I just leave these in and glue my new top in?

Sorry to hijack your post, it just seemed like a good time to ask these questions. I am quite new and if this is out of line feeel free to let me know.

Cheers,

James
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

tan top

good luck with this project !! & fix those other mini problems  :yesnod: , yeah the fold in the vinyl on the A pillars , i have changed my top 3 times , still forgot to do the folds  :icon_smile_blackeye:
   looking forward to seeing any pictures  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

resq302

Holy Crap Chris!  Good luck with that.  I had my windshield out trying to fix the leaking windshield problem only to pay for the job and have it still leak.  Windshield place would not guarantee their work since it was not a new windshield they installed. Also, careful on the removal of the windshield.  When I had mine done, they said when removing the old windshield, it could cause it to crack. :o  And that they were not responsible.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

RJS

Holy Vinyl Top replacement Batman!!!! :coolgleamA:  Chris your a better man than me just reading your plans got me tired. :brickwall: Do take a picture when the top is off so we can see the flag :lol:  I had a top problem too,  see picture below :nana:

mikepmcs

Wow! :o  I know you'll be holding your breath until this is complete, and upon inspection, everything is still in one piece and no new scratches appear due to careless technicians, etc..... I've got my fingers crossed for you.  I now am experiencing anxiety myself after reading this praying someone doesn't screw up something else.  Hope they are reputable and accountable!!!

:popcrn:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks for the words of encouragement all  :cheers:

The shop seems to cater to the old stuff (he had a 69 Chevelle in there at the time and he told me he did a 68 last year or so)  It is a small 1 bay shop that has loads of old school trim samples etc...he assured me he'd be gentle ;)

Anyhoo...took the front trim off with no trouble.   no surprises. All nice solid metal & no rust.  All the clips are good & I found out why my windshield leaks....it was bone dry in the gasket!  I guess that's how it was done from the factory but with the replacement glass being thinner there was a larger void than usual & the water would seep in between the glass & the gasket....
Hopefully this was a blessing as it seems like it will make the glass easier to come out...

last pieces of trim to come off are the upper quarter trim....which is a major PITA....rear seat has to come out & always run the risk of scratches trying to finesse it out of the driprail....wish me luck on that one!!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on March 31, 2009, 05:08:46 PM
Good luck with the mini project. I am sure you will be happy to get these issues fixed in particular the leaking front windshield!

Would you mind taking  a few pics of the clip placement along the bottom and post as I had to make 3 patches for my sail panels and dutch panel which was rusted out and am not exactly sure where the clips should be placed and at what depth. If it is not too much problem would you be able to run a tape measure beside them from say the seam where the dutch panel meets the sail panel?

If this is too much of a pain do not worry about it as I will get it figured but this may make things a tad better than just a mystery guess.

Where did you get the clips?

I also notice on the lip around my car it appears that some type of heavy staple was used to cinch down my vinyl top. Is this normal? Should I just leave these in and glue my new top in?

Sorry to hijack your post, it just seemed like a good time to ask these questions. I am quite new and if this is out of line feeel free to let me know.

Cheers,

James

James, unfortunately since my clips were wrong, they were also placed in the wrong positions as well....yes I do have 3 clips down each side but they are not even.  Also I believe there are supposed to be 6 clips across the top & bottom...I only have 5.

I will tell them to totally cover up all the holes there now & I wil drill new ones.

I got the clip set including wax tipped screws from eBay for less than $15
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mikepmcs

Shakey's thread might be able to answer James' questions as well.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23879.0.html

Chris, I got a good NY inspection sticker until October if you need it. :lol:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Charger-Bodie

The suckiest (if there is such a word) part is peeling the headliner back to remove the sail panel emblems.  :icon_smile_blackeye:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 31, 2009, 07:28:24 PM
The suckiest (if there is such a word) part is peeling the headliner back to remove the sail panel emblems.  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Ahh yes to a mere mortal that actually used the clips to secure them from behind....I used strip caulk...been on there 10+ years....till about an hour ago ;)

PS---Mike  good till July on the sticker....gonna strech it till August this year ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: tan top on March 31, 2009, 05:17:12 PM
good luck with this project !! & fix those other mini problems  :yesnod: , yeah the fold in the vinyl on the A pillars , i have changed my top 3 times , still forgot to do the folds  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Hey Steve, arent the folds built into the vinyl now?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

y3chargerrt

Chris, Are you going to replace the front windshield with the correct thickness one? I got the Plinkington (?) one which I believe is not to thin and doesnt leak at all.  Ron

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: mikepmcs on March 31, 2009, 07:10:31 PM

I was looking at that thread but it appeared that the rear window clips he had listed were the same as teh ones that were said to be incorrect in this thread. I will double check. Maybe I am mistaken.

Regardless I will order a kit off of Ebay and fit everrything prior to paint to ensure a correct fit.

Thanks guys!
1968 Charger R/T 440 

Rolling_Thunder

I got a big question for you chris - can you tell us the correct size of butyl tape ?  I just want to be sure before I order mine - I don't want to have a gap between the window trim and the glass...     How wide and how thick if you would....   (Keep it clean guys!)
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

tan top

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on March 31, 2009, 07:37:14 PM
Quote from: tan top on March 31, 2009, 05:17:12 PM

Hey Steve, arent the folds built into the vinyl now?

they might be now Chris :scratchchin:   but my last top was from yearone , 2001 :scratchchin: 02which was made by a company call KEETOPS , never had the folds  :shruggy: , real nice product though  :yesnod:   :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Shakey

Good luck with this Chris.

Post as many photos as you can.   :yesnod:

Also:

QuoteAlso I believe there are supposed to be 6 clips across the top & bottom...I only have 5.

According to my research there are only 5 used on the bottom piece of trim.  Here is a good opportunity for someone to double check my work.   ;)

Shakey

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on March 31, 2009, 10:29:13 PM

I was looking at that thread but it appeared that the rear window clips he had listed were the same as teh ones that were said to be incorrect in this thread. I will double check. Maybe I am mistaken.

Regardless I will order a kit off of Ebay and fit everrything prior to paint to ensure a correct fit.

Thanks guys!

Comparing the two threads, the text and photos in the SS Thread and the photo and explanation in this thread, it looks to me like everything matches up.

The clips needed for the back glass are # 6002 263.

bill440rt

I wish you all the luck in the world, Chris!  :2thumbs:
My phone always on.  :popcrn:

In case anyone else is wondering, I did a thread also about front & rear glass installation on my '69. And a vinyl top install.

Glass:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43619.0.html

Top:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,30095.0.html

Lots of good reference pictures there for ya's.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: Shakey on April 01, 2009, 06:17:58 AM
Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on March 31, 2009, 10:29:13 PM

Thanks guys!

Comparing the two threads, the text and photos in the SS Thread and the photo and explanation in this thread, it looks to me like everything matches up.

The clips needed for the back glass are # 6002 263.

Thanks, I double checked as well last night and found it was my mistake! That is a great post!
1968 Charger R/T 440 

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 01, 2009, 01:54:34 AM
I got a big question for you chris - can you tell us the correct size of butyl tape ?  I just want to be sure before I order mine - I don't want to have a gap between the window trim and the glass...     How wide and how thick if you would....   (Keep it clean guys!)

Alex, I am going to be going with the urethane/foam dam method as did Bill for my rear glass this time around....also funny thing is that the service manual uses a foam barrier/adhesive method as well....makes no reference to butyl tape :scratchchin:

These are the clips I got off eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=190282079844

PS---Bill you are already on speed dial when i get the car back to put the rear glass in :cheers:

Quote from: y3chargerrt on March 31, 2009, 08:22:38 PM
Chris, Are you going to replace the front windshield with the correct thickness one? I got the Plinkington (?) one which I believe is not to thin and doesnt leak at all.  Ron

Damn you guys really want me to spend my $$ huh?  I already got the half evil eye when I told the wife (very nonchalantly I might add) what I was doing :rotz:

The PPG one I have now will do just fine (unless you just jinxed me & the glass breaks when I take it out)...Ill just make sure they pump some urethane between the glass & rubber this time
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

CornDogsCharger

I just installed the vinyl top on the Superbird that I am restoring.  They really aren't that bad to do.  Just take your time and it will turn out nice.  Keep a heatgun handy for those tough spots.  Just make sure you do not get it too hot or it will leave a shiney spot. 

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Just 6T9 CHGR

Man does that look loverly!!!   I just aint got the baullz to do it myself :rotz:

Chris' '69 Charger R/T