News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vinyl Top Replacement....let the games begin!

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, March 31, 2009, 04:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paironines

I've found out twice over the years that glass shops do not use the adhesive to seal the front winshield gasket.  I put it on the metal window frame of the car and on the other side in the channel that holds the glass. Never a leak.

Shakey

tan top

just went through all my old clips from the front windshield ,  the only different ones were along the bottom :scratchchin: , like i say front windshield had never been out , previously  :scratchchin:   :shruggy:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Small update...all my trim is off now including the PITA quarter moldings.....

Took out the rear package tray & remembered how nice it was/is back there (no rust or rot)  Even still some shiny R6 red (original color)
Its a real drastic difference over the orange I have on the exterior.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Hemidog

Wow, that is a nice package tray! No rust og butyl crap in sight, didn't you rear window leak aswell?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Hemidog on April 02, 2009, 04:23:08 PM
Wow, that is a nice package tray! No rust og butyl crap in sight, didn't you rear window leak aswell?

Nope....More than likely after I make an attempt to install the new glass it will :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69 OUR/TEA

Here is that pic Chris...

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

superbirdtom

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on April 01, 2009, 08:59:19 PM
I just installed the vinyl top on the Superbird that I am restoring.  They really aren't that bad to do.  Just take your time and it will turn out nice.  Keep a heatgun handy for those tough spots.  Just make sure you do not get it too hot or it will leave a shiney spot. 

Justin
"CornDog"

I really like that rattlecan 3m vinyal top glue. I might put my top back on my bird. is there a difference in quality from different vendors?? what do you suggest?  superbird is looking great, and wow what a huge shop.   Thanks SBT

Just 6T9 CHGR

For what its worth I got my top directly from Legendary and they were/are running a sale 5-10% off and free shipping April 6-10.

Got my top for $114 shipped to my door....they had to charge me tax since I live in NY as well

http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on April 03, 2009, 03:33:52 PM
For what its worth I got my top directly from Legendary and they were/are running a sale 5-10% off and free shipping April 6-10.

Got my top for $114 shipped to my door....they had to charge me tax since I live in NY as well

http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/

Does legendary supply Year One? I have one form Year One!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

RJS

Hey Chris since you clearly ignored my last jab at ya :slap: here's a nudder:  :popcrn:  Perfect time to get some R6 back on that car!!!!!!  :smilielol:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: RJS on April 03, 2009, 05:26:34 PM
Hey Chris since you clearly ignored my last jab at ya :slap: here's a nudder:  :popcrn:  Perfect time to get some R6 back on that car!!!!!!  :smilielol:

I am most definitely going to ignore that one!! :slap: :nutkick:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

..........And the Chant begins........R6 ...R6..R6..R6..R6.......and so on.  :coolgleamA:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

resq302

Cmon Chris, we all know that red cars have more fun! :pity: :yesnod:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

FLG

resq302

Quote from: FLG on April 03, 2009, 10:43:19 PM
Yep, his car cant do this  :rofl:  :cheers:

Damn, I guess the wife was right.  I do have some gray hair on the top of my head.  Never really saw my head at that angle before.   :lol:  Oh, btw, new flavors for this year.....Birthday cake and lemon lime! :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

RJS

See Chris something good has come from all your hard work, we all just found out that Brian will still be making sno cones this year!!!!!!  Maybe R6 should be the next new flavor :2thumbs:

resq302

Just this year?  Its been with me every year since I've bought the thing.  I just keep adding more and more flavors.  I think I'm going to have to change my screen name to Baskin Robins with all the flavors I have.   :smilielol:
Brian

Just 6T9 CHGR

Small update...
Got the new vinyl top from Legendary...this time with the correct seams on the A-pillars.  real nice piece

still waiting on the shop to take me in...hopefully on Weds or Thurs this week....
I hate relying on others!! :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mikepmcs

We're still here. :wave:  Fingers still crossed that it gets done with zero issues and no surprises left by the installer(screwdriver marks, dings, scratches, etc...).  :2thumbs:

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69bronzeT5

Quote from: resq302 on April 04, 2009, 12:28:21 AM
Quote from: FLG on April 03, 2009, 10:43:19 PM
Yep, his car cant do this  :rofl:  :cheers:

Damn, I guess the wife was right.  I do have some gray hair on the top of my head.  Never really saw my head at that angle before.   :lol:  Oh, btw, new flavors for this year.....Birthday cake and lemon lime! :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

Is this at Carlisle? :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: mikepmcs on April 20, 2009, 04:15:53 PM
We're still here. :wave:  Fingers still crossed that it gets done with zero issues and no surprises left by the installer(screwdriver marks, dings, scratches, etc...).  :2thumbs:

Sweet jeebus man....those things hadn't crossed my mind until now :eek:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mikepmcs

I guess I've never had good luck with work I sublet out.  When I did my then fiance's interior on her 68 Firebird, did the whole thing myself and sent the sunvisors to a professional.  They must have been letting their 2 year old son start in on the family business that day, the worst I ever could have imagined. My brand new 02 Dodge CTD dually with less than 100 miles on it, wanted some beefier stereo equipment in it, so I took it to a professional to install my gear so I wouldn't scratch it up trying to get panels off and the dash bezel.  Looked like a hail storm on the inside of my door from the screwdriver marks left by the professional doing the work as well as the cluster plastic scratched to hell.  One of my lights in the house didn't work when I first moved here 13 years ago on a 3 way switch, called in a professional MASTER electrician, there ended up being a hole in the wall that I had to fix with drywall and the light still didn't work.  Had a buddy(mechanic that owns a PERFORMANCE garage) do my cam install a little over a year ago(this is on my 69 by the way) as a trade for a plow and I was laid up at the time, swears it would only go 2 degrees advanced instead of the 4 Ron instructed.  Car started smoking shortly after the install.(just in case anyone is interested as to why I have no interest right now in my car and am not in any hurry to get it back together only to face the next issue of the smoking engine, yes it's blue smoke)   Shall I go on.... my point being is nobody cares about your stuff like you do and your idea of acceptable and others is 2 totally different things.   So now I just do everything myself when I get the motivation. 
Please convey to them your concerns and hopefully they will work your baby with patience and kid gloves.  Be sure to go over it with a fine tooth comb before you go and take closeup pictures of your surrounding metal/paint.  That way if they do screw something up, you have proof. 

Sorry if this is a total downer, but at least you are more aware than ever now and thinking about it.  My job is done here.  Don't get an ulcer over it, I already have one. 

Sorry for the worries brother and hope you have better luck than I ever have.   I'll only post positive thoughts from here on out. :cheers:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?