News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vinyl Top Replacement....let the games begin!

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, March 31, 2009, 04:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on April 20, 2009, 07:05:16 PM
Quote from: resq302 on April 04, 2009, 12:28:21 AM
Quote from: FLG on April 03, 2009, 10:43:19 PM
Yep, his car cant do this  :rofl:  :cheers:

Damn, I guess the wife was right.  I do have some gray hair on the top of my head.  Never really saw my head at that angle before.   :lol:  Oh, btw, new flavors for this year.....Birthday cake and lemon lime! :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

Is this at Carlisle? :shruggy:

No, since I haven't been to Carlisle in about 4 years.  This was an Englishtown tradition since I got the icee maker.  However, I will have to see how much room we have in the trunk of the chally since it seems like my charger will be in the retro dealer display this year. :2thumbs:  Worse comes to worse, I may need some help moving the icee maker and items from the chally section to the dc.com tent.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

Chris, let me know if you REALLY get in a bind with your top guy. I've got some big buckets to bail you out if necessary.
I'll have to place an early order this year for snow cones!!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks Bill but.....

UPDATE!!!  Car is in the shop...after a most stressful 15 min ride that seemed like forever (road I had to take has been undergoing a 1+ year water main project from hell)
while I was waiting for my wife to pick me up they went to town & ripped off the top in a matter of minutes ( I brought it there stripped of all trim. rear glass etc) and the good news is that the body stayed on the car & didnt peel off with the top ;)
They were cleaning off the glue & waititn for the windshield guy to come to remove the windshield....hopefully when they put it back in they'll use some urethane so it wont leak this time!~

Will be ready after 4pm tomorrow....stay tuned  :pushup:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Woo-HOO!!  :woohoo:  :boogie:

This calls for one of Brian's specialty snow cone celebrations! Quick, get that ice machine over to Staten Island!!   :drool5:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger-Bodie

:shruggy:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

resq302

1hot68,

See my encriminating pic of the snow cones above from last year at Englishtown.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: resq302 on May 01, 2009, 07:27:12 AM
1hot68,

See my encriminating pic of the snow cones above from last year at Englishtown.

That doesn't tell me why we don't have any pics of Chris's new top on his Charger though.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Just 6T9 CHGR

True it doesnt....here it is though....with issues which Ill discuss at a later date
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69 OUR/TEA

Looks like it's coming along great Chris!!!!! :2thumbs:

resq302

issues?  uh oh,  that doesn't sound good. :pity:
Brian

tan top

Quote from: resq302 on May 02, 2009, 02:13:51 AM
issues?  uh oh,  that doesn't sound good. :pity:

:o
           issues  :errr:  don't sound good  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Well......

The top itself came out OK I guess....I had to trim some spots to my liking and I have to put some more glue down on some of the edges etc.  There are a few spots that arent glued down the best on the drivers side inner roof sail panel.....hopefully the sun (or my heat gun) will smooth them out.

The real "issue" was the rest of my car.

The top shop is in a heavy commercial area and is a small shop.  I went to pick up the car on a Friday afternoon after work (after them telling me that my windshield gasket was no good & now I have to drive the car home with no front or rear glass!)
The car is sitting outside in the bright sun, COVERED in dust/dirt from the truck traffic on the street in front of the shop.  I walk up to the car & notice one of the remaining pieces of glass in the car (vent window) is all clouded up with a film of some sort.  First thing I ask is WTF is this?  "Oh we got some glue on the window and we got it off with Aftalene"   I was like OK a little glass cleaner wouldnt hurt....I didnt bring you the car this way.
Walking aroud the car, checking the top mostly, I had them trim a few more spots, fix one of the clips etc & donned my glasses for the fun ride home.
Get in the car & find all little glue balls from the old glue all over the carpet & the interior covered in dust  :icon_smile_angry:

Finally get the car home & break out my duster.   Dust off the car & put her back in the garage......get out of the car & almost threw up!

Under the fluorescent lights revealed that they got more glue on the car other than the front vent window......  the tops of both quarters were scratched up into a dull haze along with a few spots on the trunk.......the trunk was covered in glue splatters, both my inner upper door pads had glue on it, the inside of my vent window chrome had glue on it & even my satin finish dash top had glue on it!!!!

Obviously they didnt cover the car, got glue on it & tried to rub it off with their Aftalene when the car was full of dust scratching the SHIT out of the paint :icon_smile_angry:  When I asked how they sprayed the glue without masking off the paint he said "see I just get a helper to hold this piece of cardboard up to the paint while I spray"  I said you're fuckin' kidding right?  "Nah been doing it that way for 20+ years....usiing tape will take the paint off the car....."  again I say you're fuickin' kidding right?!!?!!!!
Of course the shop closed for the night & I had to have this anger boil in me for the whole night.   To make a long story shorter I did get $50 back for supplies to correct my paint ( I didnt want this guy touching my car again)

Was able to get the glue off the car & dash with an adhesive remover made by 3M.  Using the light swirl remover pad & polish I had I was able to get 90% of the scratches out....I ordered up a heavier pad & compound that will take care of the rest.

Monday the glass co is coming by to install both the front & rear glass.....hope to be back on the road soon!

Small sample pic of scratches & glue spots that they didnt get off ::)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mikepmcs

Chris,
What pad, compound, are you going to be using?  Dedicated polisher with speed control I assume??
Did you do any light wet sanding prior(after you got the glue off) just curious.  That last 10% of the scratches might need a little cut and buff.  Wish you were close, I'd do it for you.
Sorry for your troubles, but you will prevail.  Try to have a good day. 
One thing is for sure, you can relish in the fact that you have one of the most beautiful Chargers in the world. 

I'll use this time to ask if you wouldn't mind sending me a nice hi res copy to my email so I can send it to 6pk for a poster. 
Thanks for the consideration.

Hang in there brother. :cheers:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mopar_nut_440_6

Sorry to hear about this Chris. Hopefully everything works out.

These horror stories are exactly why I try to do everything myself. I just don't trust people as i seem to attract this type of situation!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Ghoste

Almost as maddening Chris, is that the weiner smoker who did it was likely complaining to his cardboard apprentice later on about what an anal jerk the guy with the old orange car was.  Sorry to hear it happened man, I hope it comes back good as new for you.

resq302

Holy shnikeys!   :pity: :brickwall:  I would have flipped out on them.  It would have cost them a lot more than $50 to give back to me.  More like bringing the car to a detailing spa at their expense to get it done right.

This is the whole reason why I am like you in wanting to do the stuff myself as it seems like more and more shops are incompetant with their work or respect for anyone elses property.
Brian

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: resq302 on May 02, 2009, 09:21:11 AM
Holy shnikeys!   :pity: :brickwall:  I would have flipped out on them.  It would have cost them a lot more than $50 to give back to me.  More like bringing the car to a detailing spa at their expense to get it done right.

This is the whole reason why I am like you in wanting to do the stuff myself as it seems like more and more shops are incompetant with their work or respect for anyone elses property.

Just remember (and I know its sometimes hard to) that there are people who do care enough to take pride in their work and do a quality job without issue! Id like to think that I'm one of that group....although I do think its a small group compared to the hacks!......That wole car should have been covered with plastic and then blankets to prevent any of this horror, but I gues twice as much time in clean up and handing some of the pay back somehow seems better to them. :P

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

WingCharger

tan top

danm  :RantExplode:  don't they know to mask a car up before doing the top , should be no different than masking to paint a roof ,  :rotz: sorry to hear about this ..Chris 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks all....really the whole situation sucks.   Sadly I didnt feel confident enough to tackle the job myself & I was at the shops mercy on this one.  Sadly there arent too many shops that do this work anymore here and he has been in business since '84 & has done other classics.  Even though I diod get offers from close friends (thanks Bill) to help out, I was stubborn & didnt want to impose on anyone.
Funny thing I was the only one to complain according to him.   Mind you he said this while he was ripping a faux carriage top off an 87 Caddy Coup that was so clapped out I wondered why a new top was going on that POS any way......my parting words to him were to keep working on POS's like you have here now & leave the nice stuff to the professionals.  he was stunned at those words & didnt know what else to say.  That itself plus the fact that I will put the kaibash on future work for him is payment enough....PRICELESS!

Mike, I am going to try some of Adam's Polishes Swirl & Haze Remover with one of their orange pads....I got my order on Friday but they goofed & instead of the SAH they put Vinyl & Tire dressing in the box.  Called them up & they are UPSing the right stuff & Ill have it Tuesday...this Vinyl stuff is a gift ;)  Top notch customer service IMHO

I have a PC7424 polisher (actually a Meguires G110 which is made by Porter cable & reboxed)and used a Meguires yellow polishing pad with their #205 Ultra Finishing Polish.  This stuff wasnt agressive enough...Ill use the Adam's stuff & follow with this.

PS---I'd be honored to be a poster child for ya Mike! ;)   Ill send a few later tonight :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Chris,
REALLY sorry to see pics like that. Complete horror show. This all could have been avoided with $5.00 worth of plastic sheeting & masking tape.

Please keep me posted on the polishing. You are ALWAYS welcome to bring it by to bill440rt's detailing (  :D ) if you're having trouble. You've been to my place, my garage is lit up like a hospital room with all the fluorescent lights I have in there. We can make that paint look nicey-nice again, no prob. NO imposition, AT ALL!!  :cheers:  I'd be more than happy to give ya some help.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks Bill!   My current stress for the day is the installation of my windshield & rear glass.....made appointment with glass guy to be here tearly this morning.....it is now 2:08 & still no show.....like being at the Dr.'s office.... :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

resq302

Damn Chris.  Sounds like one of my projects that I do one our cars.  (Note to Troy - need an smile face for opening a can of worms)   :lol: :RedXShoot:
Brian