News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wiper motor date code

Started by moparchris, April 11, 2009, 01:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparchris

Throwing this out for your input.  My C500 has a SPD of 11-14-68 and it is a very original car.  However the wiper motor has a date code that places it about two weeks (roughly) behind the SPD.  Have any of you found this situation on your cars?  If this was your car would you look for a different wiper motor with a better date code.  I know this motor hasn't been changed since 1985, I dont think it was changed between about 1980 and 1983 so I'm down to thinking either the original owner changed it (what would the odds be that he would have found a date code this close in the bone yard)? Or the dealer changed it out, but my understanding is that the over the counter service parts have different part numbers to differentiate them from the assembly line installed parts. :icon_smile_question:

BROCK

If "behind" equals before then you're right on & do indeed have the original.  Rule of thumb is within
3 months of build date (before of course).

If "behind" equals after build date then you're snookered.

If you truly want a correct datecoded motor, just figure out what codes line up within your builddate
& 3 months prior & advertise for 1 within those dates!  Me n my headlight door motor search has taken
extreme patience - but I am happy to report that I have 1 getting restored at this time!

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

maxwellwedge

What is the part number on the motor.

It is either a 2770090   2-speed
or
2983033  or a 2983116  3-speed

I have a 033 on an October SPD car and all my later ones are 116's

An SPD by no means is the real date the car was built...scheduled to build but not 100% that it was built on that date. I have/had many cars that were built weeks after the SPD, evidenced by date codes on various components.

And remember this - electrical parts are mostly the closest components in date than any other....they were usually not unique to a car type and a lot of other cars used the same part. Most of the numbers above were used on all A and B bodies....that's a lot of cars. Those parts were being refreshed the quickest.

WINGR

Quote from: moparchris on April 11, 2009, 01:24:14 PM
Throwing this out for your input.  My C500 has a SPD of 11-14-68 and it is a very original car.  However the wiper motor has a date code that places it about two weeks (roughly) behind the SPD.  Have any of you found this situation on your cars?  If this was your car would you look for a different wiper motor with a better date code.  I know this motor hasn't been changed since 1985, I dont think it was changed between about 1980 and 1983 so I'm down to thinking either the original owner changed it (what would the odds be that he would have found a date code this close in the bone yard)? Or the dealer changed it out, but my understanding is that the over the counter service parts have different part numbers to differentiate them from the assembly line installed parts. :icon_smile_question:

Hey Chris, how you doing? In regards to your question I too have been told by one of the Mopar experts that the SPD is not always an exact date (Especially on special cars like the 500's) and more than likely your wiper motor is the original. If you are comfortable that it is a pretty original car then I surely wouldn't rush out and replace it.

Happy Easter, take care.

WINGR/Steve

69_500

Chris I would think that if your wiper motor is showing a date code of 332-335 that it is probably the one that came on the car from the factory.

Just curious what the date code is on the wiper motor you have on the car now. I would be glad to compare it to the date codes I have written down that were on other HEMI 500's that were built around the same time.

69_500

Chris I"m going to take a guess that your wiper motor has the date code of 3378 on it right?

gtx6970

remember, chances that the car was actually built on the SBD is slim to none

C500

Hi Chris, My C500 has the same SPD as yours, but is a 440. I would check the wiper motor, but the car is 2 hours drive away getting some new steel grafted in. IIRC my 500 was in your family......Jack's old car?

I was lucky a friend put me onto a very good retired panelbeater who does things properly at a very reasonable rate. It's getting a new trunk floor, quarters, trunk extensions fitted and floor pans, valence and rear window areas fixed of rust and holes. The car is still a couple of months away. Will post progress pictures in a new thread over time.

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

learical1

Chris, Bill and I didn't change it while we owned it.
Bruce

moparchris

Hey guys, thanks for the input.  Sorry it has taken a while to get back on this, work and life have just been too hectic.  I actually dug the car out today and drove it a little and here is the info on wiper motor date code.  It is a 2988116 model number with a 3448 date code on a C500 with a SPD of 11-14-68.  this seems like an awfully late date code, but like I said, I've been around this car since 1987 and I know for a fact that it was never changed in the last 22 years.

maxwellwedge

December 9-ish wiper motor. I though your original post said motor date was before the SPD. No matter - start checkin other dates to see if you have any other "late" stuff on the car. If you do there is a good chance your car was built a lot later than your SPD or it is......Re-Bodied!!!!  Just kidding, Just Kidding  :icon_smile_big:

I have a couple of cars that were a almost a good month after the SPD - as proven by original factory paperwork, window sticker, advance dealer notices etc.

moparchris

AARRGHH!!! You said the R word!!!!   :o
I'll start digging and see if I can find any later date codes on anything else.  I still have the original fuel pump and the glass is still original so maybe I can see some dates on those.  I'll check the build date of the motor also and see how that corrolates with the wiper motor.

maxwellwedge

Check the howns and stawter welay too and let us know. Notice - no letter r

UFO

Maybe the original motor crapped out before the car was sold.
I really don't think the dealer would care about some code as long as the wipers worked.

pettybird

knowing the car since '87 is insignificant.  crazy stuff happens right away--our B5 bird was bored .040 for more power (yes really) in 1972, yet we can say we've had the car since 1976...

I have a '68 C body wiper motor in our Petty bird, and that one came home in 5/76.  it had a sticker over the original part number, but that's been gone forever.  it probably had a warranty replacement or something.

maxwellwedge

Lots of original wiper motors had the part number stickers over the wrong stamping number. The manufacturer did this when they had too many of one type and orders for the other. Me and friends have a few cars like this. I can even see the stickers in original magazine tests. You probably have the original motor  Pettybird. I bet the date is good.