News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C500 resto

Started by C500, April 18, 2009, 12:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

I bought my 500 last year from Phoenix and have started the bodywork on it. Some of you guys will remember it as the one with the call outs. There have been posts about it before.

The first shots are as it was when I got it. There was A LOT of bondo in the rear quarters, along with pieces of steel riveted in, and chicken mesh here and there. The floors are in pretty good shape, a few small holes by both front seat foot areas. Frame rails are great!
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

C500

These are some shots immediately after sandblasting, before primer was applied..........
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

C500

more bare steel...........

C500

more work around the rear valence........

C500

after the trunk was removed (new AMD one to go in)

69bronzeT5

Wow...I didn't see that coming! :o
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

C500

I knew the lower rear quarters and trunk floor needed replacing before I bought the car. There were rust bubbles coming through. The work has turned out a bit more more than I expected, but still worth doing. The seller was awesome and paid for the quarters and trunk extension panels after I got the car. The trunk-floor I got before the car arrived here.

tan top

:o   dang ....   lookes like it was done some time ago , judging by the brazed patch work ,   floors look real good ! keep the pictures coming , love looking at stuff like this  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

C500

Quote from: tan top on April 18, 2009, 04:23:47 AM
:o   dang ....   lookes like it was done some time ago , judging by the brazed patch work ,   floors look real good ! keep the pictures coming , love looking at stuff like this  :popcrn:

It was done a loooooong time ago. The last owner didn't have it very long and genuinely didn't know about the repairs. She was originally from New Jersey and was parked up for some time, probably with water in the trunk where it festered away. It's surprising how remarkably good the rest of the car is.

C500

Extent of floor pan problem.........and sills

69_500

I was figuring that you would just be driving the car and enjoying it in its "sold" in state for a while before doing anything like this. I figure this is probably the same situation my own 500 is in, which is why I'm afraid to actually tear into it.

C500

I wish I could, but to get a set of plates and legally drive it, it has to pass a strict test which it would have failed on. I'll be ready in a couple of months to pass that test and enjoy cruising.  :coolgleamA:

69_500

Ah I see. So exactly how strict of a test do they do down there on older cars before tagging them for street use?

Did you ever have any luck in finding a broadcast sheet in the car either? I know that they said they had looked under the rear seat, but not sure if they had looked elsewhere for it.

WingCharger

I think that car looks GREAT with the callouts and the police wheels. :yesnod: :yesnod: The green looks really good with the white stripe. :coolgleamA:
I would put it back the way it was! :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs:

C500

Quote from: 69_500 on April 18, 2009, 08:03:33 AM
Ah I see. So exactly how strict of a test do they do down there on older cars before tagging them for street use?

Did you ever have any luck in finding a broadcast sheet in the car either? I know that they said they had looked under the rear seat, but not sure if they had looked elsewhere for it.

The test takes a whole day and is insanely strict. Some places strip the carpet and headliner to make sure there's no rust or bad repairs.

I looked everywhere for the buildsheet except behind the head liner. Didn't find one. The car has had the front seats recovered at some point and a new glove box liner installed. A previous owner may have found it. I wish I could track the owners down.

C500

Quote from: WingCharger on April 18, 2009, 01:14:46 PM
I think that car looks GREAT with the callouts and the police wheels. :yesnod: :yesnod: The green looks really good with the white stripe. :coolgleamA:
I would put it back the way it was! :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs:

It will stay green with a white stripe, but the call outs will go. I like the cop wheels too. I have a set of 14 inch factory rims that will get powder coated green and used with the dog dish caps. I would love to have a set of repro 14 inch Goodyear F-70's.

maxwellwedge

Ah - Motor Wheel Spyder wheels in that PolyGlas shot. Those PolyGlas are for 1970 and up. Redlines would be correct if you are after correct.

WingCharger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 18, 2009, 05:00:57 PM
Ah - Motor Wheel Spyder wheels in that PolyGlas shot. Those PolyGlas are for 1970 and up. Redlines would be correct if you are after correct.
I LOVE SPYDER WHEELS!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

C500

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 18, 2009, 05:00:57 PM

Thanks for the tip, redlines it is  :2thumbs:

BigBlockSam

yea redlines would look great on your car . i dig watching resto's like this . keep the pics coming .  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

C500

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 18, 2009, 05:31:57 PM
http://www.kelseytire.com/pages/preformancetires.html

Thanks for the link. I have been looking at Coker and Universal also. I was originally thinking if I didn't get the Polyglas, I would do white walls instead. Redlines would look even better.

maxwellwedge

You need Goodyears on that puppy!

69_500

Redlines with some dog dishes would look great with the green and white stripe. In my opinion that is.

C500

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 18, 2009, 10:05:35 PM
You need Goodyears on that puppy!

Quote from: 69_500 on April 19, 2009, 11:30:35 AM
Redlines with some dog dishes would look great with the green and white stripe. In my opinion that is.

We're all thinking alike.