News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C500 resto

Started by C500, April 18, 2009, 12:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

C500

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

hemi68charger

Quote from: C500 on April 05, 2013, 04:11:33 AM
a couple more...

:2thumbs:  Looking great !!!!

Make sure the rear valance-to-end cap seam isn't filled in with body sealer like the end cap-to-quarter seam is....

How much longer for paint? You going to do the primer with overspray on the bottom or paint body color the complete car?

Another 500 to hit the streets !!
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

C500

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 05, 2013, 04:25:38 AM
a couple more...

:2thumbs:  Looking great !!!!

Make sure the rear valance-to-end cap seam isn't filled in with body sealer like the end cap-to-quarter seam is....

How much longer for paint? You going to do the primer with overspray on the bottom or paint body color the complete car?

We were going to hit the underside with green then clear, but were supplied the wrong hardener for the clear. By the time we noticed, it was saturday morn and the shop closed till Monday  :icon_smile_blackeye:

I'm painting the body color to the whole car - not worrying about those details with primer overspray etc. The underside, interior, trunk, engine bay will all have green over the next few weeks then will get the underside all complete. after that will get it off the rotisserie and get it rolling before painting the outside.
I'm back living in N.Z. now, but still a 5 hour drive to get to the 500.

What is the reason to have the valence-to-endcap free of sealer?
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

dyslexic teddybear

Just went thru the whole thread.

X 100.... on the great job. :2thumbs:

A BIG THANKS.....for posting good pics and explanations. From this and other threads, I'm learning a lot of how a unibody went together. And that's the best way to understand how to repair them.

C500

Quote from: dyslexic teddybear on April 05, 2013, 09:45:57 AM
Just went thru the whole thread.

X 100.... on the great job. :2thumbs:

A BIG THANKS.....for posting good pics and explanations. From this and other threads, I'm learning a lot of how a unibody went together. And that's the best way to understand how to repair them.

thanks teddybear. there are some good threads on here that I have picked stuff up from too.

hemi68charger

Quote from: C500 on April 05, 2013, 04:35:21 AM
a couple more...

We were going to hit the underside with green then clear, but were supplied the wrong hardener for the clear. By the time we noticed, it was saturday morn and the shop closed till Monday  :icon_smile_blackeye:

I'm painting the body color to the whole car - not worrying about those details with primer overspray etc. The underside, interior, trunk, engine bay will all have green over the next few weeks then will get the underside all complete. after that will get it off the rotisserie and get it rolling before painting the outside.

Well, if you want an OEM look and one in which there's no "indication" of bodywork, then they shouldn't be filled. It wasn't originally to begin with. It is free detailing to boot. If you want to chat about it, PM and I can call you... Attached is a picture of my former '68 Charger R/T in that area......
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

CornDogsCharger

Great Job on the car C500!!  I've seen the thread over the last couple years but I just re-read everything from the beginning.  I was going to ask about the Valiant Charger in the background but then I noticed you are in NZ.  Makes sense now.  I can't wait to see some green on it.  I know you're anxious too!

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

C500

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 05, 2013, 07:15:47 PM
Quote from: C500 on April 05, 2013, 04:35:21 AM
a couple more...

Well, if you want an OEM look and one in which there's no "indication" of bodywork, then they shouldn't be filled. It wasn't originally to begin with. It is free detailing to boot. If you want to chat about it, PM and I can call you... Attached is a picture of my former '68 Charger R/T in that area......

Ahh, yes I'm with you now - thought you meant the inside of the cap/valence. The outside areas as you show in your pic will definitely show the seam with no sealer there.  The seams I have look real nice too, and shown on one of my earlier posts. Seeing the two seams each side of the end cap is a definite for me, and something I notice on other cars when filled  :o

C500

One step forward and two steps back.....

A while back I had the engine bay stripped to bare metal.... it came up nice nice. I used a top quality rust neutraliser/epoxy that can be used on rust or bare steel. Brunox is a German product and highly regarded. Unfortunately the steel was too clean and shiny and the Brunox did not hold too well on it. After priming over, a few weeks later working on an area of it, a piece flaked off. Not impressed.

Last week, I called in a professional sandblaster to get it all off. The guy has worked on classic cars, was very careful and meticulous and did a very nice job. The weather forecast was for rain, but we were lucky to strike excellent weather all day. I had the engine bay, both sides of the inner guards, radiator support and the inside of the hood and trunk lid done.

We put a layer of epoxy (not Brunox this time) on it after blasting, followed by high-build primer the following day. After a light guide-coat (red) my wife and I spent the whole day sanding the engine bay smooth and followed it up with a coat of primer. We'll leave it a few weeks to cure, and give it some more primer then some F8.

One for you Troy ;-)

Before blasting

Freshly blasted

Bare steel

Bare steel

Guide Coat

My wife Emma

Highbanked Hauler

Looking great, what did he use to blast the hood and deck lid without warping it ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

C500

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on August 19, 2013, 01:37:48 PM
    Looking great, what did he use to blast the hood and deck lid without warping it ?

He turned the pressure right down and was using garnet. He didn't do the top surface of hood and deck lid.  :cheers:

JB400

You're doing some fine quality work :2thumbs:  Looking forward to seeing this one finished :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

C500

1970Moparmann

Missed this thread... Great job!   :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

hemi68charger

Looking great....

1. suggestion............ When you go to paint the engine bay, sort of close the engine wiring harness straps attached to the firewall to the point where you can slip the harness in. If not, when you go to close the strap around the harness, the paint will crack. If it is in it's final resting place, then the paint shouldn't crack..........
Troy

C500

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 27, 2013, 07:50:36 AM
Looking great....

1. suggestion............ When you go to paint the engine bay, sort of close the engine wiring harness straps attached to the firewall to the point where you can slip the harness in. If not, when you go to close the strap around the harness, the paint will crack. If it is in it's final resting place, then the paint shouldn't crack..........

Good tip, thanks Troy  :icon_smile_cool:

C500

No major progress to report, except for having the engine back in the same garage as the body. A 6 hour haul across some mountainous passes  :eek2:

Will freshen it up in the next couple of weeks. Tranny has already been fully rebuilt.

hemi68charger

Quote from: C500 on October 12, 2014, 06:37:06 PM
No major progress to report, except for having the engine back in the same garage as the body. A 6 hour haul across some mountainous passes  :eek2:

Will freshen it up in the next couple of weeks. Tranny has already been fully rebuilt.

:2thumbs:
Troy

moparnation74

Did he use sand as his blasting media?

C500

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: C500 on October 13, 2014, 12:21:54 PM
Quote from: moparnation74 on October 13, 2014, 09:21:50 AM

No sand, garnet only

He must have a reason for using garnet only,is has to be more expensive I'd think. :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

C500

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on October 13, 2014, 08:33:57 PM
Quote from: C500 on October 13, 2014, 12:21:54 PM
Quote from: moparnation74 on October 13, 2014, 09:21:50 AM

No sand, garnet only

He must have a reason for using garnet only,is has to be more expensive I'd think. :2thumbs:

Not sure on the cost, just didn't want sand getting in places. A bit of moisture or humidity on sand, and you've got rust forming against the steel.  :2thumbs: Not many of the blasting guys use sand as a media anymore

500Jon

Wonderful work C500!
Shell must be made very close to mine C500.
December 19th 1968, probably a Friday LoL!!!
Enlarged spot-welds on L/H fendershock tower) near where the battery sits.
The Spot welding dude missed the support bracket and divoted the inner fenders.
F8 green too, what topcoat are you using?
No one can mix-it here in the UK for air dry DIY any more!
Was thinking of going Chrysler Moss green to be different???
You are doing exactly what I was gonna do, all-in resto.
Change of circumstances so just gonna drive her instead.
Good luck on the resto. :popcrn:

Its not easy being green, trust me I know!!! :2thumbs:
500Jon Kent England.
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

C500

Quote from: 500Jon on October 15, 2014, 04:03:02 AM
Wonderful work C500!
Shell must be made very close to mine C500.
December 19th 1968, probably a Friday LoL!!!
Enlarged spot-welds on L/H fendershock tower) near where the battery sits.
The Spot welding dude missed the support bracket and divoted the inner fenders.
F8 green too, what topcoat are you using?
No one can mix-it here in the UK for air dry DIY any more!
Was thinking of going Chrysler Moss green to be different???
You are doing exactly what I was gonna do, all-in resto.
Change of circumstances so just gonna drive her instead.
Good luck on the resto. :popcrn:

Its not easy being green, trust me I know!!! :2thumbs:
500Jon Kent England.

Thanks Jon... Build date is November 14. I have PPG Deltron paint, Base Coat. After paint, and car is driving, the interior will be changed over to white.  :coolgleamA: