News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 DODGE CHARGER 500 BUILD SHEET FOR SALE

Started by als500, April 20, 2009, 06:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

Can anyone read the VIN in the auction photo? I have tried now for about 10 minutes. I'm taking a guess here but does it look like 217178 to anyone else?

either way I'm bidding as I type this.

Ghoste

I agree with the first two digits and the last two, I can't make out the rest though.  Good luck with the bidding Danny.

69_500

I just referenced the sheet of known VIN's and that was the only one I had that was close to what it looked like. But now the more I look at it it looks like it ends in a 5 maybe. Guess I'll just have to be the high bidder to know for sure. Just hope this doesn't make the wife mad spending money on useless paper.

Ghoste

:lol:I could be convinced that its a 5, an 8, or even a 3.  It definitely has a curve on the lower right side.

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: 69_500 on April 20, 2009, 07:35:37 PM
Can anyone read the VIN in the auction photo? I have tried now for about 10 minutes. I'm taking a guess here but does it look like 217178 to anyone else?

either way I'm bidding as I type this.

How about 212178...  Kinda guessing on the "1" due to the stain, and the "8" could be a 5 or 3

:popcrn:

After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: 69_500 on April 20, 2009, 07:53:22 PM
I just referenced the sheet of known VIN's and that was the only one I had that was close to what it looked like. But now the more I look at it it looks like it ends in a 5 maybe. Guess I'll just have to be the high bidder to know for sure. Just hope this doesn't make the wife mad spending money on useless paper.

Does anyone agree the third digit is a 2 instead of a 7 ...?

The last digit is looking more like a 5...

Still having problems making out the fourth digit... the "1"

Best guess now is 212175 ...  :shruggy:

Davtona

Quote from: mauve66 on April 20, 2009, 07:57:05 PM
ask the seller you have 5 days left

I agree ask him for the VIN. That's a legit question considering the situation.

69_500

Allen I wrote the seller to ask him to verify the VIN for me after I bid on it. Figured he wouldn't answer me until I had bid on it.

The reason I guessed 217178 is that I know where that car is. Just hoping you for the owner of the car that it is. I don't know anything about a 217173, and if its a F3 green car then that rules out 217175. As far as 212xxx goes I don't have any 500 VIN's beginning with 212xxx. I've got 210xxx's, 214xxx's, and 217xxx's. Nothing in the 212's though. And of the 210's they are all in the 2107xx's, and then for the 2143xx's, and the 2171xx's. Which is another reason I guessed it might be in the 217's.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Just 6T9 CHGR

The 217178 car was in Carlisle for sale in '07 correct Danny?  painted F6 green/ green int & A/C....did it sell?

I have a pic of the guys phone # off his ad if it turns out to be the car...let me know if you need it
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69_500

As far as I know it did not sell when it was there at Carlisle. Now whether or not it has sold since then, is a different story. But yes your right on that car being 217178. I remember you asking me if I was sure that was the VIN  to that car under the tent that year too. I believe the guy selling the car then was named Jim, had a phone # starting with area code of 215?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 69_500 on April 22, 2009, 03:42:27 PM
As far as I know it did not sell when it was there at Carlisle. Now whether or not it has sold since then, is a different story. But yes your right on that car being 217178. I remember you asking me if I was sure that was the VIN  to that car under the tent that year too. I believe the guy selling the car then was named Jim, had a phone # starting with area code of 215?
yup...on Friday & Sunday.....Joe on Saturday ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: 69_500 on April 20, 2009, 08:34:26 PM
Allen I wrote the seller to ask him to verify the VIN for me after I bid on it. Figured he wouldn't answer me until I had bid on it.

The reason I guessed 217178 is that I know where that car is. Just hoping you for the owner of the car that it is. I don't know anything about a 217173, and if its a F3 green car then that rules out 217175. As far as 212xxx goes I don't have any 500 VIN's beginning with 212xxx. I've got 210xxx's, 214xxx's, and 217xxx's. Nothing in the 212's though. And of the 210's they are all in the 2107xx's, and then for the 2143xx's, and the 2171xx's. Which is another reason I guessed it might be in the 217's.

Well Danny, its been almost two days... any answer from the seller about the VIN number... ???

My 50+ year old eyes still believe it is your first 212xxx C500...  :scratchchin:

69_500

We have a winner. The VIN on the sheet is to 217178. I have tried to call both of the numbers listed on the sheet that was on display there at Carlisle to let them know the sheet is up for sale. No answer/response yet from either one. I would prefer to not spend $175 on a sheet that doesn't go to my car to be honest, but if they want it they should at least be able to try to get it. If they are the ones going for it, I will more than happily stop bidding on it as well.

maxwellwedge

The bigger picture......................What kind of scum sells a build sheet in the first place?

nascarxx29

The area code 215 Pa ,Near my area .If you have sellers info location.Maybe I can find him about his sheet is found
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Ghoste

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 22, 2009, 08:26:12 PM
The bigger picture......................What kind of scum sells a build sheet in the first place?

On a related note, I can't help but wonder why someone would spend that kind of money to buy one either unless they are some sort of auto philanthropist?

Old Moparz

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 22, 2009, 08:26:12 PM

There are all kinds of people in the hobby so it doesn't surprise me it's for sale. I think calling the seller scum is a bit much though, it's not like he knows the car or the owner & contacted him asking for money. I think the right thing to do, & something I'd like to see, would be the seller stopping the auction for the owner & offering it to him. Maybe at least getting the fees back for the auction or the postage.  :Twocents:

I found a build sheet in the rear seat of my Coronet 500 convertible that's for a Coronet R/T convertible. I posted it on several sites offering it for free if the owner can prove they have the car. Over the last several years I have had about 5 or 6 inquiries, but none had a VIN that matched the sheet I have. Either the wrong sheet ended up in my car, or the seat came from a parted R/T & the car is long gone, which is more feasible to me.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

moparstuart

I would gladly pay 200.00 to get my broadcast sheet for my 500  :Twocents: 

Old Moparz

Quote from: moparstuart on April 23, 2009, 09:52:09 AM
I would gladly pay 200.00 to get my broadcast sheet for my 500  :Twocents: 

See, it's people like you that ruin the hobby with all this crazy spending.   :smilielol:
               Bob                

moparstuart

I have no fender tag or sheet for mine , so the car is a mystery .  but even if it was a complete nice car i would still pay the 200.00 if mine was missing .
     and i'm as cheap as they come   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Ghoste

But would you pay that much for a sheet to a car you don't own?  ;)

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on April 23, 2009, 10:01:49 AM
But would you pay that much for a sheet to a car you don't own?  ;)
no but i did buy a super bird fender tag for one i dont own

Ghoste

I could be wrong, but I'd guess you're the kind of guy that if that Superbird ever turned up (assuming you don't know already that this is an impossibility or something) you'd want to see the tag and the car reunited.  I also get the impression that you wouldn't be the type to only reunite them if there was a huge profit in it for you.  Your expenses sure and maybe even a little pocket money for your trouble, but not a big "wait 'til I tell my buddies" sort of flip.  Would that be a fair estimate of your character?

moparstuart

maxwellwedge

I found the wrong sheet in many cars and actually reunited a few of them with the vehicle.
The last one was a sheet I found in Doctona. I called the guru, got the name and called the current owner and Fed-Ex'd the sheet to him. 2 long distance calls and Fed-Ex charges to me....cost to current owner $0.00.....another car and sheet re-united - priceless! I told him to buy me a beer if we ever meet at a car show.

The only owner of a buildsheet is the car it belongs to.

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 23, 2009, 11:33:27 AM
I found the wrong sheet in many cars and actually reunited a few of them with the vehicle.
The last one was a sheet I found in Doctona. I called the guru, got the name and called the current owner and Fed-Ex'd the sheet to him. 2 long distance calls and Fed-Ex charges to me....cost to current owner $0.00.....another car and sheet re-united - priceless! I told him to buy me a beer if we ever meet at a car show.

:2thumbs: :notworthy: :2thumbs:

ChgrSteve67

I just finished re-upholstering the seats in my Charger and found two Broadcast sheets.
One in the Front Pass seat and one in the Rear Pass seat.
Both sheets were very close to my vin and one of them is for an export. Also both are for Chargers that were built after mine.
I would say the chance of my seats being replaced from these two Charger because they were parted out or wrecked is almost nill.
Most likely seats were damaged at the factory and mine ended up an another Charger (or trash pile) and they took these seats that were supose to go in another Charger and put them in mine.

I can tell you that the broadcast sheet that was in the rear seat was not easy to get to. The skin had to be completely removed as well as removing an access plate in order to get to it. So it had to be put there at the time the seat was upholstered not as the car was being assembled going down the line.

XP29F72351425      318 LA 230HP 2BBL 8CYL

Export Charger
XP29G72351468     383 B 270HP 2BBL 8CYL

If you can prove it's your car, it's yours.  (Might Cost you a beer or two)

moparstuart

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  thats the right way to do it , and the way it should be

xs29j8Bullitt

In the past few years I have given original broadcast sheets to the current owners of 5 Mopars free of charge, including USPS Priority Mail shipping.  Included were the sheets for a black Hemi Challenger and a Challenger T/A, with the T/A sheet sent through Barry Washington who located the owner through an eBay sale.  Interestingly, only Barry thanked me for the one I sent through him, the other recipients were silent... although one said "thanks again"  :scratchchin: when he called about a year later wanting me to track down the previous owners of a friend's car...

Similarly, I provided some other original documentation & pictures to the current owner of a 1970 Hemi Road Runner that I used to own... silence as well.  At a show in Houston in the late 1980s, I offered the owner of the B7 Hemi Charger 500 an old original title from the car as well as a few license receipts... he replied that I could not possibly have any thing related to the car and literally turned his back to me.

I have about half a dozen more original broadcast sheets that I am trying to reunite with the Mopars they came in... for the good of the hobby, not the value to the current owners.  Included are the sheets that came in my Daytona and Charger 500...

I would pay $200 for the sheets to my Daytona & Charger 500... though not "gladly", only "willingly"...  :lol:

69_500

I'm trying a few more times tonight to get ahold of the people that I last knew of as having car 217178 and if I don't get ahold of them I'm going to stop bidding. I just can't justify to my wife spending that much on a sheet that I have personal interest in other than trying to get it back to the right car.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on April 23, 2009, 05:38:23 PM

I would pay $200 for the sheets to my Daytona & Charger 500... though not "gladly", only "willingly"...  :lol:

Amen to that!

als500

Maybe we should take up a donation with the member here and buy the build sheet for the hobby. I'm sure the owner of the 500 will show up one day. OK just kidding, we don't have to get crazy about this. :icon_smile_cool:

hemigeno

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on April 23, 2009, 05:38:23 PM
In the past few years I have given original broadcast sheets to the current owners of 5 Mopars free of charge, including USPS Priority Mail shipping.  Included were the sheets for a black Hemi Challenger and a Challenger T/A, with the T/A sheet sent through Barry Washington who located the owner through an eBay sale.  Interestingly, only Barry thanked me for the one I sent through him, the other recipients were silent... although one said "thanks again"  :scratchchin: when he called about a year later wanting me to track down the previous owners of a friend's car...

Similarly, I provided some other original documentation & pictures to the current owner of a 1970 Hemi Road Runner that I used to own... silence as well.  At a show in Houston in the late 1980s, I offered the owner of the B7 Hemi Charger 500 an old original title from the car as well as a few license receipts... he replied that I could not possibly have any thing related to the car and literally turned his back to me.

I have about half a dozen more original broadcast sheets that I am trying to reunite with the Mopars they came in... for the good of the hobby, not the value to the current owners.  Included are the sheets that came in my Daytona and Charger 500...

Allen, it's surprising that people haven't been more appreciative of your efforts to GIVE them info about their own vehicle.  Heck, I'm interested in people who may have just SEEN one of my cars "back in the day", much less have any paperwork. 

That's a sad testament to some people's indifference to the goodwill of others, but there are a ton of other people who still respect your attitude on the subject.  Me for one...   :wave:

69_500

Allen I'm still on the look out for the sheet to either your 500 or your Daytona. One of these days they might show up. I might have to hold the sheet to your 500 ransom though until you let me have the car. JK. I tried again today to get ahold of the last known owner of the 500 that this sheet goes to. Still no answer, just voice mails.

69_500

I'm done bidding on the sheet. Finally got ahold of Jim who had the car for sale at Carlilse. He still owns the car, and is going to contact the seller on Ebay to try to get the sheet. He was astounded that anyone would bid on the sheet if it didn't go to their car. Had to tell him I was guilty of bidding on it as well. By the way to anyone interested the car is still for sale too.

moparstuart

that boggles my mind that no one bidding on it at that price is the owner.   :shruggy: :shruggy:   
  I would hope if the one for my car showed up it wouldn't have several people bidding on it .  :shruggy:   

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: moparstuart on April 24, 2009, 03:41:54 PM
that boggles my mind that no one bidding on it at that price is the owner.   :shruggy: :shruggy:   
  I would hope if the one for my car showed up it wouldn't have several people bidding on it .  :shruggy:   

I sure would not be bidding on your b/c sheet... I'm too cheap!  :lol:

Hmmmm... $177 bid for a 440 C500 b/c sheet... wonder what this one would bid up to...  :scratchchin: J/K  :angel:

Alaskan_TA

People are strange sometimes. In all the years I have been doing what I do here, I have mailed out well over 300 items to folks that matched their cars.

Less that half of them even bothered to say thank you.

Some said thanks & that was it.

A few have reimbursed me for the postage.

Several of them have sent in items they found to help keep the process moving, this is great, I love cool mail.  :cheers:

And, every once in a while someone says thanks & makes a donation.  :yesnod:

I helped one guy get a broadcast sheet for his car (He got it for free then sent the guy that found it $50.00), then he sold one he had on Ebay even though I had told him I knew who owned the car.  ::)

Barry

WINGR

Quote from: 69_500 on April 24, 2009, 03:07:42 PM
Allen I'm still on the look out for the sheet to either your 500 or your Daytona. One of these days they might show up. I might have to hold the sheet to your 500 ransom though until you let me have the car. JK. I tried again today to get ahold of the last known owner of the 500 that this sheet goes to. Still no answer, just voice mails.

Hey Danny, you mean I would have to talk you out of Allen's build sheet, since I'm getting the B5 car.  :smilielol:

Man, I think we're both dreaming.

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: WINGR on April 24, 2009, 10:29:36 PM

Hey Danny, you mean I would have to talk you out of Allen's build sheet, since I'm getting the B5 car.  :smilielol:

:scratchchin:  Steve, did you mean to openly post that... or is it another mis-addressed PM like happened a couple of months ago?  :smilielol:  :smilielol:  :smilielol:

Dans 68

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on April 24, 2009, 08:26:32 PM
People are strange sometimes....

Barry, you just keep on doing what you are doing...it is incredible work. You will be rewarded so don't worry about the idiot outliers under the proverbial bell curve.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

moparchris

Allen,
Is your broadcast sheet for XX29J9B210742?  Please, Please, Please!!!!!

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: moparchris on April 25, 2009, 07:21:36 PM
Allen,

Sorry... it is not a match.

Here are the two aerocar VINs that I have B/C Sheets for...

EMF

Just wondering if anyone has sheets for "164197, or "210717. Could not find anything in either car.

Davtona

$610.00  :o  :o  I'm hoping the current car owner got it. Why would anyone else bid $600.00 on a build sheet if it wasn't for their car.  :shruggy:  It should be with the car.  :Twocents:

WINGR

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on April 25, 2009, 10:59:06 AM
Quote from: WINGR on April 24, 2009, 10:29:36 PM

:scratchchin:  Steve, did you mean to openly post that... or is it another mis-addressed PM like happened a couple of months ago?  :smilielol:  :smilielol:  :smilielol:

No Allen, this isn't a mistake I am just stating the facts right? How are you doing, hope all is well. How's the 500 coming along?

moparstuart

Quote from: Davtona on April 26, 2009, 07:40:41 PM
$610.00  :o  :o  I'm hoping the current car owner got it. Why would anyone else bid $600.00 on a build sheet if it wasn't for their car.  :shruggy:  It should be with the car.  :Twocents:
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

69_500

I'm not sure if it is actually going to the owner of the car or not. Haven't had a chance to get ahold of the owner of the car to ask him. I did call him and tell him about the auction, even sent him a link in an email.

PocketThunder

Hopefully the buyer is the owner and not that bible thumping guy who had talkiemopars engine held hostage..  :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on April 26, 2009, 09:27:09 PM
Hopefully the buyer is the owner and not that bible thumping guy who had talkiemopars engine held hostage..  :Twocents:
hopefully frank learned his lesson   :shruggy:

C500

Quote from: Davtona on April 26, 2009, 07:40:41 PM

Wow...$610! I hope the car owner got it too.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on April 25, 2009, 08:22:50 PM
Allen,

Allen the 240758 sheet belonged to a Jeff Shorter....supposedly purchased this car new 5/5/69....he registered the car as being junked back in the 80's :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

moparstuart

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on April 28, 2009, 11:30:32 AM
Allen,

Allen the 240758 sheet belonged to a Jeff Shorter....supposedly purchased this car new 5/5/69....he registered the car as being junked back in the 80's :scratchchin:
wow junked a J code  very sad  :brickwall:

nascarxx29

69_500

Update for here. The owner of the 500 did wind up winning the auction. He was a bit shocked that someone actually ran his bidding up that high though. Side note here too, the car the sheet goes to is up for sale if anyone is interested. $30K.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on April 28, 2009, 07:35:41 PM
Update for here. The owner of the 500 did wind up winning the auction. He was a bit shocked that someone actually ran his bidding up that high though. Side note here too, the car the sheet goes to is up for sale if anyone is interested. $30,610.

There, fixed it...

:P

hemi68charger

...., the car the sheet goes to is up for sale if anyone is interested. $30K.

:think:  Just maybe..................
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Old Moparz

Update for here. The owner of the 500 did wind up winning the auction. He was a bit shocked that someone actually ran his bidding up that high though. Side note here too, the car the sheet goes to is up for sale if anyone is interested. $30K.

Well, it's great that the car owner got the sheet, but like I said before, the seller should have given it to him for no more than the auction & postage fees. I wouldn't sleep at night selling an old freakin' piece of paper for $610. The guy probably charged postage too.  ::)
               Bob                

maxwellwedge

Makes you wonder if the seller (herein known as Mr. Scumbag) knew the owner was bidding and ran him up.

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on April 28, 2009, 11:30:32 AM
Allen,

Chris, I contacted Jeff Shorter last October after Dave posted the Lost Car Registry entry on the forum.  His reply seemed to indicate he did not know the fate of the car after he sold it in the early 1970s, but just assumed it was gone.  When did he make the entry about it being junked in the 1980s?...  :scratchchin:

Maybe I need to contact him again...

Ghoste

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 29, 2009, 09:31:19 AM
Makes you wonder if the seller (herein known as Mr. Scumbag) knew the owner was bidding and ran him up.

Well SOMEBODY sure wanted it bad if it wasn't Mr. Scumbag.  Maybe it was his cousin Mr. Dirtbag or their close mutual pal Freddy the Flipper?

maxwellwedge

maxwellwedge

I just heard that I get a mention for reuniting a buildsheet with a car in a Daytona story in the new Musclecar Review. This is the sheet I found in DocTona. Have not seen the article yet.

Ghoste

Freddy's last name could be Cockroach, I'm not sure.  I'll have to watch for that issue of MCR.
On a more related note I also see in the June 09 issue of MCG that beginning with the July issue the Guru-vy one is going to have a monthly broadcast sheet lost and found column.  I'll withhold my personal opinions and say that that would be a good thing for the hobby.  He used to do that through the same magazine before the issues came up in his personal life.

als500

Man it sucks paying that much for a build sheet but at least we united the built sheet with the owner. I would say the it was a complete success. "Good Job" Danny! you should be a detective, let me know if you want a job, I will get you an app.

Take care Al  :icon_smile_cool:

gts95

Does any know where this car is advertised? I have friend interested in it.

69_500

Car isn't being advertised anywhere that I'm aware of. Was just told by the owner when on the phone the other day that he was still thinking of selling the car.

As far as being a detective, that wouldn't be too bad of a job. Would sure beat lugging 5 gallon bottles of water all day right?

UFO

Just saw the story in musclecar car review.Well done Jim. :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

Thanks - I better go hunting for the mag.

nascarxx29

I found a Oct 1993 For Sale ad for a 1969 Charger 500 XX29L9B217178 Air Auto  Non Numbers matching Car Is Apart And Half Restored $6900.00 Or Interesting mopar trade Call Dan Andrews 813-648-4143

SBBob

Just my 2 cents worth on cars and paper work.  I am the 2nd owner of my car and have had it since 1982.  It was brought back to Washington for a gentleman that had 2 440 Birds.  It was an executives car out of Texas.  It was found thru the race car driver system.  The guy (not a gentleman) that was the racer got the car and brought it back for the new owner.  At that time he removed the window sticker, jacks and spare tire (all of which he still has to this day).  He showed me the copy of the window sticker and I said how much?  He said we will talk later.  After a couple of months I called him and offered him what I could get the repop's for.  He laughed and said he wanted at least $1,000.00 for the window stick alone.  I drive my car and it has over 185,000 mile on it.  I told him that maybe if it were a really low mile car I might be interested, but have driven the car for over 20 years without it.  I don't understand his thinking, but that VIN # matches only my car and that no one else would even be interested, but 3 years have come and gone and he still thinks it is his retirement package.  I also go out of my way to help out a fellow MOPARITE.  Just had to get this off my chest as it makes me very mad that one idiot can be such a JERK!
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

C500

Quote from: SBBob on November 25, 2011, 07:18:53 PM
Just my 2 cents worth on cars and paper work.  I am the 2nd owner of my car and have had it since 1982.  It was brought back to Washington for a gentleman that had 2 440 Birds.  It was an executives car out of Texas.  It was found thru the race car driver system.  The guy (not a gentleman) that was the racer got the car and brought it back for the new owner.  At that time he removed the window sticker, jacks and spare tire (all of which he still has to this day).  He showed me the copy of the window sticker and I said how much?  He said we will talk later.  After a couple of months I called him and offered him what I could get the repop's for.  He laughed and said he wanted at least $1,000.00 for the window stick alone.  I drive my car and it has over 185,000 mile on it.  I told him that maybe if it were a really low mile car I might be interested, but have driven the car for over 20 years without it.  I don't understand his thinking, but that VIN # matches only my car and that no one else would even be interested, but 3 years have come and gone and he still thinks it is his retirement package.  I also go out of my way to help out a fellow MOPARITE.  Just had to get this off my chest as it makes me very mad that one idiot can be such a JERK!

I'm with you on this. If the paperwork goes to a specific car, it should be with that car, not sold at a premium. I would not sell someone their buildsheet, no matter how rare or desirable the car is. If the owner proved they owned the car, paperwork should just be given to the owner.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

maxwellwedge

I have always said and have done that.

If it was my window sticker that guy would be offering me 1000.00 to stop beating him.

That is just wrong.

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 30, 2009, 09:05:07 AM
I just heard that I get a mention for reuniting a buildsheet with a car in a Daytona story in the new Musclecar Review. This is the sheet I found in DocTona. Have not seen the article yet.

Sweet !!!!   :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

SBBob

Trust me I have done it to him many time in my thoughts.  What really hacks me is he was a big time racer and thinks his SHIT does not stink.  A lot of friends have talked to him, but it is all about the MONEY for him.  Thankfully I don't need that stuff to have fun with the car, just something I think should go with the car period.
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

RallyeMike

QuoteI don't understand his thinking, but that VIN # matches only my car and that no one else would even be interested, but 3 years have come and gone and he still thinks it is his retirement package.  I also go out of my way to help out a fellow MOPARITE.  Just had to get this off my chest as it makes me very mad that one idiot can be such a JERK!

It just shows the character of the person who has it. Apparently they have no problem with extortion? Best just to forget about and watch the papers for his obituary.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/