News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheels coming lose?

Started by Arkgl01, April 28, 2009, 08:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkgl01

So the other day I am riding in my GL and I hear a noise and pull over. 4 of the 5 lug nuts had come lose on the drivers rear. I tighten them and all the others were lose also. I took them and got them put on with 80lbs of trq! Then saturday about 15 miles later I check them again and some of them got tighter with a 4 way. I have vectors that are not dodge bolt pattern but have been made to fit. The guy at the wheel shop said this is the problem but the right ones are hard to find! Someone told me use blue lock tight? Anyone else have this problem with there wheels?
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

Back N Black

What was done to make them fit? Did you make the holes larger and the rim is moving on the studs? I'm sure you can tighten them more than 80 fp.

Arkgl01

The lug holes were bored out bigger and made oval. The guy said he was having a hard time at 90 and went back to 80. there aluminum so I dont want to damage them?

Back N Black

If the guy made the holes oval to fit, the rims are moving back and fort against the wheel studs, which is causing the wheels to break loose. I would say your rims are junk now. This guy is obviously not a mechanic.

bk72

Quote from: Back N Black on April 28, 2009, 01:06:37 PM
If the guy made the holes oval to fit, the rims are moving back and fort against the wheel studs, which is causing the wheels to break loose. I would say your rims are junk now. This guy is obviously not a mechanic.
that sounds right

Arkgl01

doesnt everyone do that with vectors cause finding dodge bolt pattern is close to impossible?

bk72

i really dont want to say this but you can do what the person who i got my charger from did... he welded the rim on. then i got a flat tire and could not change it...

Arkgl01

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: bk72 on April 28, 2009, 02:28:19 PM
i really dont want to say this but you can do what the person who i got my charger from did... he welded the rim on. then i got a flat tire and could not change it...

How did he weld steel to alumnum?
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

charger2fast4u

Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on April 28, 2009, 02:45:09 PM

maybe he tightened the lug nuts and welded them to the studs?

bull

Sounds like you'd better get some wheels that fit before you kill yourself, someone else, or both.

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: charger2fast4u on April 29, 2009, 06:46:16 PM
Quote from: mopar_nut_440_6 on April 28, 2009, 02:45:09 PM

maybe he tightened the lug nuts and welded them to the studs?

Doh!!
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

suntech

If what you say is right, that the holes are made oval, to fit the bolt pattern, and the seat angels are not correct, your rims are junk, if there is no possibillity to remachine in a way that you can fit in a bushing. What means that you must end up with a round hole, with a seat, in the correct bolt circle, and then make bushings to press in, with correct diameter holes, and seats for nuts!
Doable if you have acsess to a milling machine, and a lathe!
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

70 500

"making" a rim fit is not option any intelligent person should do, no you should not weld your lugs to yours studs, which is just a hair dumber than putting lock tight on them, and also i would tighten them to at least 100 ft-lbs
hold my beer, this is gonna be fun

charger2fast4u

is there any way you could mark exactly where the lug nuts are pressing on the rim and countersink a hole there so you could put a lug nut on and it will seat itself in the countersunk hole and eliminate the slipage in the oval hole don't know if you will understand what i mean kind of hard to explain it. let me know i could try to reword it if needed

tommymac

now they are like a unilug wheel,always a problem with ballance & staying tight;Junk! One reason i'm getting new wheels.

six-tee-nine

Loc-tite or other stuff to keep the bolts in place are no good.... wheels bolts just have to stay in place when torqued, period.
If not the there is soething out of balance for sure....

put other wheels on the car or keep it garaged till you get other wheels for the car.... You don't want to have a wheel coming off while doing 70 on the highway.....You'll end up in the evening news in the best case....... or in the morgue in the worst case! :o
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

b5blue

Are you using "acorn nuts", they make nuts that are kinda bolt shaped with a shoulder that a washer fits on, I had them on my Alum. slots they work fine.

mopar2

Unilugs should have an oval washer with an offset hole that fits an oval countersink in the rim and a special shoulder nut that drops in side. If you're running a regular lug nut in an oval hole it's not safe. Are these the rims Patrick put on the car? Properly installed there should not be a problem, from the problems you're having there not. AutoZone has quite a few offset washers for unilugs.

tommymac

My old ET slots are like that ,Oval washers in oval deppresions,with acorn like nuts.I still have like ^ of them that I'd like to get rid of.Ill have to take some Pitcs.