News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Water Pump

Started by dd44068, April 29, 2009, 12:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd44068

Ok so I have  440, bored 30 over and the cam is 1 step up. I dont rember its specs. Well I need a water pump should I look into a high flow or will a stock be better? I dont race the car just a cruiser. Thanks in advance for the help Dom

chargerman67

I just purchased the high flow aluminum from Milodan. Heard a lot of good things about it. I was having trouble with mine overheating though. Haven't installed it yet.
67 Dodge Charger 440
87 Toyota Supra 2.5L twin turbo (JDM)
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

y3chargerrt

Go with the high flow aluminum one and get a high flow thermostat to match.

http://www.milodon.com/water-pumps/water-pumps.asp

r_biccum

Quote from: y3chargerrt on June 01, 2009, 09:18:54 AM
Go with the high flow aluminum one and get a high flow thermostat to match.

http://www.milodon.com/water-pumps/water-pumps.asp

:iagree:    More flow is always better to help keep these cars running cool. Not many of them get run in the winter to worry about heating loss anyway  :icon_smile_cool:
1969 Dodge Charger SE 383 727 #'s matching with original 8 track
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

W4ATL

Does a quality gasket come with the water pump when you purchase it?

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: W4ATL on June 07, 2009, 11:24:56 AM
Does a quality gasket come with the water pump when you purchase it?

It did when I got my Milodon hi-flow pump.

And definitely don't forget the t-stat! :yesnod:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

chargerman67

It did come with a gasket. I also ordered the tstat too which did not come with a gasket. I was going to purchase both from milodon but noticed its actually cheaper to get them from summit.
67 Dodge Charger 440
87 Toyota Supra 2.5L twin turbo (JDM)
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

62 Max

For what it's worth,the "Hi Flow" thermostat that everyone is selling is the same Robert-Shaw thermostat that Chrysler used as standard equipment for 30+ years.Flowed the same then as it does now.  ::)

dd44068

Ok So I finally put in a Milodon Hi flo water pump ( thanks for the suggestion car is now running like a champ).
I was talking to a guy at a local show and he said that if you change to a hi-flo pump you need to change to a hi-flo housing. Is this true? If so what do you guys recomend?

Thanks in advance Dom

FLG

what's it running at now? If its good I wouldn't touch it. Moving the water too quickly is just as bad as too slow.

dd44068

With a 195 termastat it runs about 200-201. While sitting in traffic it creeped up to 230.

FLG

That's a bit high. Do you have a fan shroud?

Id ditch the 195 and put either a 180 or a 160 stat in.

firefighter3931

Quote from: FLG on July 06, 2010, 09:28:55 AM
what's it running at now? If its good I wouldn't touch it. Moving the water too quickly is just as bad as too slow.

:iagree: 100%....don't mess with success !  ;)

The stock housing moves plenty of coolant. The only reason to upgrade to aluminum is for weight savings (7 lbs) and on a street car/cruiser it's just not worth it.  :Twocents:

Whatever you do....DON'T install a 440 Source aluminum housing !  :badidea:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

dd44068

Thanks Rom I read your post about it. As far as thermastats go the 160 runs fine untill i stop then she heats up and jumps to 230+, so I think the best bet would be an 180. And yes I have I have a fan shround for a 68 on the car which is not very deep, but seems to be affective.

FLG

If your having temp spiking issues with a 160 your going to have em with the 180, they only will effect how cool the car runs, not how hot.

230 is way to warm imo

Is your radiator clean and free from debris? How big? How many row?

dd44068

Radiator is clean, and its a 22" ( believe its original size for the car from factory), and I believe its a 3 row from what I can tell.

FLG

hmm,

Upgrading to a 26" wouldn't hurt. How much air flow do you have at idle? Will it easily hold a piece of paper up to the radiator?

Seems you just have a airflow issue at idle, upgrading to a better fan/shroud combo might clear things up.

dd44068

I have not actually done the test yet but it seems like it definetly would. I an trying to keep the car stock so if anything I will rebuild the radiator to a 4 core. The car does have a mild cam in it would that a cause a slight temperature increase?

FLG

The mild motor will dump more heat but nothing that could not be handled by a basic cooling system. Id consider going 26" and looking at factory fan/shroud combos so you can keep it looking stock.

Also before you do all that just check the basics. Make sure there is no air trapped in the system, and make sure your radiator cap is good. You would be suprised how many problems a worn out cap can cause, system won't hold the proper pressure and causes it to overheat.