News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Wont turn over from ignition switch.

Started by 68coronetGLwannabe, April 29, 2009, 08:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68coronetGLwannabe

Starter has been tested and is good cleaned all connections,replaced starter relay.  If you jump across the relay it will start but if you turn the ignition key it doesn't do anything. This is a 440 in a 69 Charger. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

green69rt

Quote from: 68coronetGLwannabe on April 29, 2009, 08:42:42 PM
Starter has been tested and is good cleaned all connections,replaced starter relay.  If you jump across the relay it will start but if you turn the ignition key it doesn't do anything. This is a 440 in a 69 Charger. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Are you good at electrical??? Get a Volt/Ohm/meter (maybe from Radio Shack) and start checking, you'll need one in the future anyway on this old car.  My guess is a bad starter relay or a bad connection (covers about everything, doesn't it :eek2:?)  Anyway keep working it and good luck.

Ghoste

68coronetGLwannabe

Quote from: Ghoste on April 29, 2009, 10:38:25 PM
Starter relay or neutral safety switch?

I replaced the starter relay today. Will check the neutral safety switch tomorrow. Thanks
"That's us in 10 years".

maxwellwedge

Check the yellow wire on the starter relay as well.

Nacho-RT74

all you need to check is ig you get ground through brown wire on N or P, and power at START moment on yellow wire.

A bulb is enough... feed a 12 volts bulb with socket between brown wire and positive source ( it could be starter relay stud ) if bulb lights on, ground from NSS is good. If not, NSS, plug, linkage, or Tranny harness damaged. ( or you are not in P or N )

same about yellow wire... ground one end and feed the other bulb end with the yellow wire... go to ign key and try to start on with key... if bulb does not light on, then problem is on ign switch, plug, bulkhead, or somewhere on yellow wire line. that line is a direct line between ign switch and relay, doen't not go or splice anywhere.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

68coronetGLwannabe

Figured it out. Found me a nice vintage 80s Alarm system mounted up under the glove box. Unplugged it from the main box and she fired right up. Thanks for all your help  :2thumbs:
"That's us in 10 years".

69bronzeT5

My Duster wouldn't turn over from the switch. I changed the negative battery cable and then it fired from the switch. :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic