News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So who were they racing??

Started by Ghoste, November 06, 2010, 10:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I was just reading an issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines and it seems like every issue when I read the letters section, there will be a whole bunch of guys in there who had some car or other back in the day and without exception they never lost a race.  Not one race, ever.  Every one of these guys no matter what he drove, was never ever beat.
If no one was ever beat, who were they racing?

RD

Quote from: Ghoste on November 06, 2010, 10:41:51 AM
I was just reading an issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines and it seems like every issue when I read the letters section, there will be a whole bunch of guys in there who had some car or other back in the day and without exception they never lost a race.  Not one race, ever.  Every one of these guys no matter what he drove, was never ever beat.

Time!!! <---- ok... that was a joke.. but that is the only way they could never lose, except if we speak existentially, then time gets everyone in the end hehe :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

I'd be more inclined to guess that the only thing they did with time was waste it, but yeah you're likely not far off either.  It was a bit of a rhetorical rant but I have to think that a lot of those victories canme at the expense of people who never even knew they were being raced.  (does the guy in the 435 hp Vette really accept a challenge from someone in a 390 Torino?)

General_01

Quote from: Ghoste on November 06, 2010, 11:28:20 AM
I'd be more inclined to guess that the only thing they did with time was waste it, but yeah you're likely not far off either.  It was a bit of a rhetorical rant but I have to think that a lot of those victories canme at the expense of people who never even knew they were being raced.  (does the guy in the 435 hp Vette really accept a challenge from someone in a 390 Torino?)

That is probably more the truth. I bet there are a few kids around here who drive Honda Civics telling there friends at school how they toasted a yellow Superbee. The whole time at the stop light, I would be laughing at them revving there engines to challenge me for a race. Why would I bother? But to them, they toasted my butt. :rofl:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Charger440RDN

I think that over time the truth gets stretched and twisted, they only remember or talk about the races they won, not the ones they lost. The ones you lose, you just block it out mentally like it never happened.  :lol:

Drache

My father told me a story of his highschool years. There was a guy with a '69 Chevelle SS that wanted to race my father and his '70 Charger R/T.

My dad told him he would race him if the guy agreed to race once "normal" and the other way my "dads way".

So they lined up from a dead stop and the Chevelle beat my dad. The problem was the Charger would just sit there spinning it's wheels, no traction.

So the second way they lined up way behind the starting line and went 20kmh and then would punch it at the line. When they did this my dad's Charger beat the Chevellle by more than a car length.

The next day at school the guy with the Chevelle went around school bragging his whooped my dad's ass in a race.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Ponch ®

Quote from: Ghoste on November 06, 2010, 10:41:51 AM
I was just reading an issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines and it seems like every issue when I read the letters section, there will be a whole bunch of guys in there who had some car or other back in the day and without exception they never lost a race.  Not one race, ever.  Every one of these guys no matter what he drove, was never ever beat.

They were racing the guy who "used to have one just like it back in the 70's, but I wrapped around a lightpole".
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

adauto

Quote from: General_01 on November 06, 2010, 02:55:40 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 06, 2010, 11:28:20 AM

That is probably more the truth. I bet there are a few kids around here who drive Honda Civics telling there friends at school how they toasted a yellow Superbee. The whole time at the stop light, I would be laughing at them revving there engines to challenge me for a race. Why would I bother? But to them, they toasted my butt. :rofl:

I've had a few kids in rice burners at the stop light or even better race up along side me goin down the street. The last one was some POS rusted out integra with a crap load of stickers and a fart can muffler. I litterally laffed at him. But I'm sure he bragged to his buddy's how he beat a HEMI car...
ya riiiiiight!
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

NHCharger

Aren't these the same whiners that didn't like Mike's black Daytona??
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Road Dog

I was at a light beside a Saturn. :shruggy: I took off and this guy was rip'n off shifts and had a grin a mile wide. :lol: I let him nose me out by half a car til we hit 60 mph. ::) Think I made his day. :2thumbs:
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

greenpigs

I can't think of many that would brag about getting beat, my guess is they ran a few times and picked the prey carefully. Or they are just liars. Not really important as many times those stories end with "me and some friends got drunk and totaled it". :rotz:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

mauve66

no, i don't believe it.
they all won their races and the guys that lost are all driving minivans now thats why you never hear about them
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

RECHRGD

The older I get the better I was!!!  I actually did beat a 435 HP Vette back in the day, but only because the guy was drunk and just roasted his tires.  By the time he got going, I was too far ahead to catch.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

C_stripes

Sounds like my uncle and his stock 08 Mustang POS. He out runs EVERYTHING!!! Never lost a race to anything. He even raced a porsche turbo and beat it. Again, his car doesn't even have an aftermarket exhaust. The only thing it has is some ugly ass stickers that he felt he had to put all over it.  Thats all he talks about is how fast his car is and how he kicks the crap out of everything. I think he is having an affair with it.  :scratchchin:
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

bull

I raced four times that I can remember back in the day with my '70 383 Charger. I barely beat a 396 Camaro, stomped the $h!+ out of a 4 cyl Camaro (I don't know what that guy was thinking) and basically I tied an RX7 and a Kawasaki Ninja. The ones I tied were those where neither vehicle could pull away from the other and either someone finally quit or the road quit. If I wasn't sure I couldn't make it look good I didn't bother trying. :angel:

Charger RT

I bet this guy in the mini van tells everyone be beat a big block mopar with a 4 cylinder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rmj1zY1itA&feature=related

And this guy tells people his Omni wooped a vett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvHcxNJG7is&feature=related

I love turbos
Tim

694spdRT

I only remember racing my 383 '68 Charger once back in the old days and lost by a car length.  The guy that beat me was driving a green '69 Charger R/T 440.

I almost forgot to mention the guy I raced was my dad.  :D
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi