News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spark plug gap

Started by dd44068, May 04, 2009, 08:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd44068

OK I was wondering, I have been told that when you put in electronic ignition you should gap the plugs wider. Is this true or a myth? Thanks in advance Dom

FLG

What ignition do you have? Are you talking stock electronic or aftermarket (MSD??)

It all depends on the ignition system, and engine. Assuming its a stock engine and you have a stock or somewhat stock ignition you should gap them to factory specs. More powerful ignition systems can handle a larger gap thus burning the A/F mixture more efficiently.

Im assuming you switched from a points to electronic system?? What kind did you put in?

dd44068

I am running slightly over stock moter and the orange box for ignition ( SORRY FORGOT WHICH ONE)

Ghoste

You could open them a little bit if you want but in your case you could also run it with the stock gap and be fine either way.

firefighter3931

You will be fine at .035-.040 gap with the orange box.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

dd44068

Thanks for all the help.        :cheers: