News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ignition lock-out

Started by twodko, May 11, 2009, 09:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

Hello all,

My 69 R/T has a console AT shifter. Is there an igniton lock-out switch at the shifters base. My shifter is sloppy and the car wouldn't start until I ran the shifter through is full travel. Thanks.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Rolling_Thunder

the car should only start in neutral and park....            what do you mean it went thought its full travel ?   all the way forward? that is where it should start.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

John_Kunkel

Welcome to the board twodko .

Slop in the shifter is often caused by worn or missing plastic bushings, this can prevent the shifter getting the two end gears. Check the support bracket at the bottom of the torque bar that passes through the floor tunnel, if that bushing is missing you'll get a lot of lost motion in the linkage.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

twodko

Hello John,

Thanks for the info. I haven't had the console apart yet but I'm sure there'll be plastic bushings etc. to replace. After moving the shift lever through its full travel a couple times I was finally able to start the car. My project will be to rebuild and tighten up my existing shifter. The repops are expensive. I'm in NorCal also, Sonoma county. Our car is a numbers matching 440 R/T we acquired from the original owner. B3 bright metallic turquoise, black top and interior. Pictures soon.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!