News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Block sanding tricks??

Started by dodgecharger-fan, November 02, 2005, 03:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgecharger-fan

I did a search and didn't find anything, so.....

What do you guys do for block sanding?

I know about the paint sticks and that worked pretty well.
The problem that I have is that due to a minor birth defect, my thumbs last about 3 minutes while holding onto a paint stick or anything small.
(I don't have a middle knuckle on my thumbs. Weird huh? Well, actually it's there but it doesn't bend at all.)

What other items are good to use for blocking?

Are these worth it? $49.99

or these? $69.99

Thanks.

moparguy01

I use the Durablocks and like them.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

cudaken

dodgecharger-fan, if you look at the link Troy posted you will see that I don't use my thumb to hold the paint stick but the palm of my hand.

The Dura blocks look a lot like the Memroy Block I use, but still use the stick 85% of the time. I use the Memroy Block for area's that are curved.

What are you blocking, primer or filler? If filler the wooden Long Boys would work better.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Drop Top

I agree with Ken. I use a block that I make myself out of carbon fiber. It looks like a paint stick. I use it and nothing else for my final blocking. Like Ken said, The blocks that have the wooden handles are best for removing plastic filler. I have some of the Durablocks and they also work well for water sanding (blocking). The differant shapes make sanding contours in the body much easier.

If you have a hard time holding a paint stick. Then I would suggest using the durablocks. Remember the longer the block the straighter the 1/4s will come out. The one thing I don't like about the durablocks. They bend a little too easy, and won't block the very slight ripples. So you have to be very careful useing them. If you can master the paint stick. You will be much happier with the out come.

dodgecharger-fan

I swear I searched...  :P

Sorry, I haven't checked back in here lately. It's been a busy few weeks and my garage is in a bit of a state of chaos. I had to move everything off of one wall to prepare for the central vac relocation from the basement to the garage.

Thanks for the replies. cudaken, I eventually went to the "no-thumb" method and found that it worked great but the sand paper would often roll around the stick. I think a wider stick will help keep things in place. I'll figure something out and report back.

I guess I am doing a weird combination of shaping and blocking.
The Charger has epoxy primer and two or three coats of 2K, but there are some areas that are just not the right shape.
Specifically, behind the door at the rocker panel. It was mudded up pretty thick. Funny thing is that as I'm taking it down, I'm having a hard time finding the reason why the mud is there. That said, it was done very well. I didn't see it at first but I felt it.

I'm trying to get things into the right shape while taking as little primer way as possible.

After the last round, I think I'm going about this the wrong way. I think I need to be a little more aggressive with the shaping and then worry about the blocking later. I'm finding that I'm going to need to prime again anyway, so why worry about making things nice and smooth now.

cudaken

I am guess, but I think what you are talking about is the factory LEAD that was used to hide the joint where the rocker and quarter panel joins. If you want to post a PIC maybe we can help.

Cuda Ken
I am back

dodgecharger-fan

Ah no. I should have been more specific. It's filler.

I'm shaping the area down by the bottom corner of the door. When the major metal work was done on my car, filler was used to smooth over that area and it's still on there a little thick.

I think it just wasn't worked down into shape because I'm not finding anything underneath that needs a lot of fill. It was just a "running out of time" thing.

I started out just blocking the primer on the car and when I got to that area, I decided that I needed to go deeper. I just kept working it all with a block and sandpaper.
I probably could have hit it with a DA to get it closer into shape and then gone back to a block to finish it off.

Thanks again for the tips.