News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are these disk brakes on my 69 from a 70?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, May 13, 2009, 05:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I need to replace my pads soon and I was looking at the Bendix 69 Charger pads, and my brakes look different?  If I Goggle disk brake pads for a charger I found that they look like what would be for a 70 charger.  Cheap, only 45.00 for the set.

My car has lots of options and the only one I couldn't prove because I don't have the fender tag or build sheet was the disk brakes.  When I repainted the engine compartment and removed the Power booster I knew it had been removed before as it was painted black behind it and I wondered if someone added the disk brake set up?  being it's a rare option that year I was hoping it was original but now I wonder.
So when I order pads should it be for a 70 and is there any chance the car came this way originally?  Thanks.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

It looks like the 70 style to me.  I know for sure it isn't the four piston 67-69 caliper.

tan top

:yesnod:  yep 70 & up slider caliper ...//could look up the partnumber on the side should tell you what it come off ..or at least  what body style  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Soooooo this means someone put a 70 set up on the car because... A) they had the original 69 setup but pads were hard to get or expensive, so they put on a 70 setup?  Or B) they had took the complete set off a 70 car because it had drum originally?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

tan top

yeah sounds like it was one of those  :scratchchin:  not just pads for the  bendix oem set up , but pistons also ...expensive to have the calipers sleeved & stainless pistons fitted if badly corroded ..just trying to think if there is any give away tell tell sign if you had power discs from the factory ...when every thing has been worked on before & changed  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

And they were notorious for getting said corrosion and having pistons hang up in the bore.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: tan top on May 13, 2009, 06:44:36 PM
yeah sounds like it was one of those  :scratchchin:  not just pads for the  bendix oem set up , but pistons also ...expensive to have the calipers sleeved & stainless pistons fitted if badly corroded ..just trying to think if there is any give away tell tell sign if you had power discs from the factory ...when every thing has been worked on before & changed  :scratchchin:
The only thing I would think is they got A/C, full tint, power windows and steering, 6 way seat, remote mirror,an R/T with SE option, why not Disk?  That and if it had a 8 tack or AM/FM are the things I can't prove?  It has the reverb switch below the dash so I would think it had AM/FM ( I got it with a dead junk yard am in it ) but like with the brakes, got me?

Ghoste

I had a 69 once though with only am radio and it had the reverb option.  Or maybe it was the fader?  Geez, now I'm going to have to try and find my info from that car and check.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on May 13, 2009, 08:34:06 PM
I had a 69 once though with only am radio and it had the reverb option.  Or maybe it was the fader?  Geez, now I'm going to have to try and find my info from that car and check.
Oh, sorry I was thinking about my old Chevy's.  You're right, fader.  :slap:  Yes they came with Am I was told, but being it was optioned well and the radio was a junk yard dead radio I always thought someone took the good AM/FM or 8 track and stuck that junk radio in there.

resq302

My charger is coded for the disc brakes and had the correct booster but someone had changed out the master cyl and front calipers and rotor assemblies for the 70 and up style.  From what I have heard, the Bendix 4 piston design liked to leak a lot cause of its design.  I have since changed it back to stock and have spares of each part except for the brake lines since mine are stainless.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 13, 2009, 06:39:41 PM
Soooooo this means someone put a 70 set up on the car because... A) they had the original 69 setup but pads were hard to get or expensive, so they put on a 70 setup?  Or B) they had took the complete set off a 70 car because it had drum originally?

What does the master cylinder look like? Do the lines exit the driver's or passenger's side?

The correct pads for the four piston 69 style look like this
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on May 13, 2009, 11:25:53 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 13, 2009, 06:39:41 PM

What does the master cylinder look like? Do the lines exit the driver's or passenger's side?

The correct pads for the four piston 69 style look like this
Towards the motor.  It's all correct, i'll bet someone just changed the calipers over like resq302's car.  Thanks guys.  70 pads it is.

resq302

Just so you are aware, 1969chargerrtse, whoever did the change over in my car did not change just the calipers.  Actually you can not just change over the calipers without changing the spindle also since the 4 piston caiplers bolt directly to the spindle in a different location than what the 70s and up do.  If you do change the calipers back on your car, you may have to change out the spindles which also means changing out the backing plate since the the 66-69 used their own backing plate.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: resq302 on May 14, 2009, 07:32:53 AM
Just so you are aware, 1969chargerrtse, whoever did the change over in my car did not change just the calipers.  Actually you can not just change over the calipers without changing the spindle also since the 4 piston caiplers bolt directly to the spindle in a different location than what the 70s and up do.  If you do change the calipers back on your car, you may have to change out the spindles which also means changing out the backing plate since the the 66-69 used their own backing plate.
Thanks, but the only thing I'm changing my friend are a set of disk pads.

bull

It looks similar to the E-body calipers too. Maybe an old version of what came on a Challenger or Cuda? :shruggy: If so it's probably and early A-body spindle swap setup.

Ghoste

Yes, same style was used on the E-bodies.

resq302

Are you replacing the pads with what you have that was in the car or are you going to change it to the 69 style?  If so, they do not interchange.
Brian

1969chargerrtse

I ordered pads for a 70 Charger today from Pep Boys.  From what I read at first I thought that would do it? 

Ghoste

1969chargerrtse

Good.  They were 19.99.  I bought a set there last week for the wifes car that were also 19.99 and one week later I brought them back because they chattered and grind.  I ended up getting the ceramic type for 50.00 and they are fine.  19.99 is all they had for the Charger, sure hope they don't chatter also.

Ghoste

Yeah, that seems to be a common thing now that most of these pads have had the asbestos removed from them.

charger500440

Re: swapping '69 and '70 front disk parts. Isn't the sway bar different as well? I've never installed either, but I was under the assumption that the '70 caliper mounted on the spindle in a different location. Therefore the '69 sway bar would hit the '70 caliper. Maybe I was misinformed. I was also under the impression the only thing that is the same between '69 and '70 is the rotor. Everything else is different...

Mike
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

Ghoste