News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Silly idea for leaky rear main seal on 440.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, May 13, 2009, 06:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

My car drips all over the place ( after a 4,000.00 rebuild  :eyes: ), most of it is dead center off the trani cover plate.  So I came up with this idea to catch the oil best I can.  It's blackened my nice new exhaust and sometimes even smokes a little as I'm on the highway.  This drip catcher is from a plastic oil can.  Inside is a oil absorbing material we use at work.  I cut slits on the side so I could poke some material out on each end to keep it in there.  I would bet I can go months before I need to change the pad.  I'll let you know how it works.  It's actually not low at all.  Should work? I just hate the fact I can't pull into friends driveways drip free.  Not fair to stain their property for a visit.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

b5blue

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Daytona R/T SE

Have you checked your oil pressure sending unit?  It's up high on the back of the block behind the intake. I swore I had a rear main seal leaking on the 440 in my Imperial...Was driving me nuts, and I really didn't want to change the seal-big pain in the ass.

I got to looking it over one day-DREADING tearing into it...the sending unit was leaking like a sieve and the oil was dripping down off the bottom of the engine just like yours...

Ten minutes and about six bucks fixed it  :coolgleamA:

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on May 13, 2009, 11:16:52 PM
Have you checked your oil pressure sending unit?  It's up high on the back of the block behind the intake. I swore I had a rear main seal leaking on the 440 in my Imperial...Was driving me nuts, and I really didn't want to change the seal-big pain in the ass.

I got to looking it over one day-DREADING tearing into it...the sending unit was leaking like a sieve and the oil was dripping down off the bottom of the engine just like yours...

Ten minutes and about six bucks fixed it  :coolgleamA:
Thanks for the advise, I did one time run my finger back there along the base of the unit and didn't see anything.  I am not 100% sure it's the rear main even though it looks that way.  I am going to check out the all the possibilities one of these days before I decided how to handle it.  I have a friend that says he'll do it with the motor in the car for 600.00.  I think for the work involved that's not a bad price, or who knows maybe I'll yank the motor one winter, or just leave it.  I'll take a close look soon.

If you look to the left side up a bit on the cover you can see a drip forming.  So I know something else is leaking, because I wiped that area down for the picture and a drip is already forming.

b5blue

My motors a fairly recent rebuild and "the drip" showed up not long after...another trick I use if I'm going to end up on a nice clean driveway is a carpet-Kotex thrown under when I pull up and stop.The cheap floor mats with the rubber bottoms work good. By the way...Nice ride!  :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Can you say G H E T T O?

Thats almost as bad as leaving the shipping label on the inspection cover :slap:

I do feel your pain....I suffer from the same malady....the BB rear main seal curse :rotz:

PS--the leak towards the left is the other curse...valve cover gasket
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Back N Black

Was there any warranty with the engine rebuild?

mikepmcs

That's fricken awesome.   Do what ya gotta do until you can fix it right.  :2thumbs:
I love it!!!
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Rolling_Thunder

It is 90% odds it is your rear main seal....     it is very difficult to actually seal correctly...    I have only had to redo 4 seals out of all the engines I have built...           The other possibility is if oil is seeping by the oil galley plugs at the rear of the block   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

oldschool

1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Back N Black on May 14, 2009, 06:31:37 PM
Was there any warranty with the engine rebuild?
Getto  huh.  Your only a couple hours away, how about I swing by and do a drip drip for you in your driveway?

If I didn't show you, you wouldn't know.  Is kinda Getto though. :hah:

I did make it a point to mention it to the builder, but what he is going to say is pull the engine and bring it to my shop and I'll redo it, and that ain't happening.

This guy cried to me about how "crate engines " put guys like him out of business.  I think I understand why people buy crate engines.  He really does great work, he did a 396 for me and I had no issues or leaks.  Mopars are hard to get right I hear, Oh well.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on May 14, 2009, 04:27:17 PM
Can you say G H E T T O?

Thats almost as bad as leaving the shipping label on the inspection cover :slap:

I do feel your pain....I suffer from the same malady....the BB rear main seal curse :rotz:

PS--the leak towards the left is the other curse...valve cover gasket
I was kinda hoping that label would just fall off?  Not yet.  :P

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 14, 2009, 08:45:38 PM
Getto  huh.  Your only a couple hours away, how about I swing by and do a drip drip for you in your driveway?

Im not skeered.....you wouldnt make it an hour out anyway :nana:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

b5blue

Jeeze, he needs to make more for you guys cuz your on the rag too! :smilielol:

BrianShaughnessy

Replacing a rear main seal with the engine still in the car is not impossible.    Lift engine a couple inches,  drop centerlink,  pull pan,  Loosen main caps, etc.   Use a quality seal like a fel pro. 

If the block was align bored or honed you probably need to take .010 off the seal block or another option is to get a new billet piece.

Or just continue to raid the wife's kotex supply.  :shruggy:

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

turbobitt

I'm not one for criticizing an idea but you just made a good opportunity for a stray cigarette but to catch fire in that "catch can". You provided a nice wick to get things started. I wouldn't risk any old classic car this way. Let it leak on your buddies driveway and maybe it will inspire him to help you fix it the correct way and have some piece of mind.

Don't take this as a dig, just thought you should be aware of the opportunity for disaster.
Allan G.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on May 15, 2009, 05:49:33 AM

This car probably couldn't make it there period.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: turbobitt on May 15, 2009, 06:58:37 AM
I'm not one for criticizing an idea but you just made a good opportunity for a stray cigarette but to catch fire in that "catch can". You provided a nice wick to get things started. I wouldn't risk any old classic car this way. Let it leak on your buddies driveway and maybe it will inspire him to help you fix it the correct way and have some piece of mind.

Don't take this as a dig, just thought you should be aware of the opportunity for disaster.
Allan G.
I appreciate the thought but that's been well thought out.  I disagree as the unit is tight up against the trani hump and nothing Is going in there let alone something hot and burning. The underside of the car including the hot smoking exhaust covered in oil is more of a worry to me than that little catch can. This is just Temp fix. I always do things correct in the long run. This is just a patch, until I pull the motor or drop the pan in late fall. I haven't dug into where the leak is really coming from yet anyway. I've been busy restoring the interior, removing the painted stripe, putting on a tape stripe, installing the gas tank, finding an electrical issue, replacing my brake pads, and now dropping the steering shaft and pulling the dash gauges. I'll get to the leak soon enough. 

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on May 15, 2009, 05:47:38 PM
creative ingenuity    :2thumbs:
Thanks, I was on the hghway for at least an 1/2 hour going about 65 and I didn't smell anything burning off the exhaust.  :2thumbs:

Parked in the driveway this morning after my coffee run, no leak  :2thumbs:. To be seen anyway.  :hah:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on May 15, 2009, 05:49:33 AM

:smilielol:

You're just marking your territory.  Years ago people took pride in that.

Not quite as bad as an old Detroit Diesel.  You could put a pan under the motor for the night to put back in, in the morning when it was a gallon low.

My aunts' & uncles' used to park in the street when they came to visit.  When you asked them why, they said my old man would cum unglued on them for leaking oil on his driveway.