News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Water Leaks in 440 Source Stealth Heads?

Started by Chatt69chgr, May 13, 2009, 07:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

Has anybody run into this.  I was talking to Hughes about some pushrods and the rep told me that they had been getting a bunch of calls about the Stealth heads leaking water.  I said that I had purchased Cometic head gaskets and I was hoping I wouldn't have this problem.  Rep said that the water entry was due to porosity in the aluminum.  Claimed that you wouldn't know if you had it unless you pressure tested the heads.  I am assembling my engine now.  My assembler says the heads look good.  He went over them looking for any defects and didn't see any and he did this before I mentioned what the Hughes guy said.  Is pressure testing heads a common thing? What should I look for after I fire up the engine and run it for a while?  Drain the oil and look for water?   

He also told me that with the new comp cams 10 degree locks and retainers installed on the springs that came on the head that the clearance between the Hughes roller rockers and the retainers was at least 40 thousands.  I read on the Hughes website that you needed to have a minimum of 10 thousands.  So it appears the clearance is OK.  We are ordering the pushrods tomorrow from Smith Brothers.  We are going to specify 3/8 inch with .049 wall thickness 4130 Chrome Moly.  Smith Bros were significantly cheaper than Hughes and said they can give us 24 hour turn around.  The pistons are at 0 deck and I decided to use a 45 thou MLS head gasket.  Assembler told me I had something like 240 thou clearance for the valves and that I could run a higher lift cam later if I wanted to.  I'am using the Engle K56 hydraulic cam right now.  I am using the 84cc closed chamber Stealth head by the way.  Lifters are from comp cams.       

jerry

firefighter3931

That's the first i've heard of any porosity issues with the Stealth heads.  :shruggy:

Just wondering if the heads in question were ported by Hughes ? Maybe somebody got over agressive with a die grinder ?  :scratchchin:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

If Hughes cut them too far it's probably someone else's fault for not being as smart as they are.

73plymouth

My brother & I installed 440 source heads on his 440 & one really leaked bad, it actually filled #8 cylinder with antifreeze!
We exchanged it at the shop he bought it from and have had no problems since. I even just purchased a pair from the same guys & they now pressure test them all before letting them out the door.