News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Monroe Ct cruise night. Wanna see a Daytona?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, May 15, 2009, 07:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Well, as I said I would I went to the cruise night in Monroe Ct.  This is a pretty big show, but more Mopars seem to do the Derby Ct show Sunday eve.  As I said I would I introduced myself to Pete.  He has the Daytona and Hemi SuperBird and Hemi Daytona conv and who knows what else?  He tells me he doesn't work and owns a lot of toys.  I asked how this was possible and he held up his ringless fingers and said " No rings, just wings " . :smilielol:

Check out some of the shots.  Pete was awesome, we talked for a long time and he was happy to walk around my car and tear it apart. :icon_smile_wink:
I loved it, he showed me so many things.  All I can say is you Mopar guys that have been watching my restoration thread should be ashamed of yourselves.  Man he pointed out lots of stuff, but no one ever noticed I have a orange pie plate on my air cleaner instead of the correct red one?  :slap:

Compared to a car like Pete's, I felt like I had a old clunker.  His stuff is awesome and his knowledge is amazing.  I said Hello from all you guys and Chris from Satan.

Check out the pictures.

The blue Road Runner is " 68beepbeep " Steve from this site.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

More.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

More.

69*F5*SE

charger500440

I'm glad you got to talk to Pete. The great thing is that he is a really nice guy to talk Mopars with. The bad thing is you'll walk away feeling like he's forgotten more about Mopars than you'll ever know. But then again, he is approachable so you can always ask him something else again later. His cars are mint. I was at his place shortly after he bought the Superbird. If you've seen it, you know how awesome it really is. He was ripping the front suspension out of it because some of the parts were replaced with "incorrect" replacement parts at some point in the cars life. Pete had the correct tie rod ends etc. and he was going to be putting them in. I don't know if I could do that but he does it with ease.
-
I'm sure he always has cars coming in and out, but as far as I know that Daytona, the 'Bird and the convertible Daytona are all he drives around. The convertible is a 440-6 pack as I remember it...

Mike
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

hemi68charger

Awesome pics...Both your cars are looking great !!!  Pete does have a super collection.    :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: charger500440 on May 16, 2009, 08:10:29 AM
I'm glad you got to talk to Pete. The great thing is that he is a really nice guy to talk Mopars with. The bad thing is you'll walk away feeling like he's forgotten more about Mopars than you'll ever know. But then again, he is approachable so you can always ask him something else again later. His cars are mint. I was at his place shortly after he bought the Superbird. If you've seen it, you know how awesome it really is. He was ripping the front suspension out of it because some of the parts were replaced with "incorrect" replacement parts at some point in the cars life. Pete had the correct tie rod ends etc. and he was going to be putting them in. I don't know if I could do that but he does it with ease.
-
I'm sure he always has cars coming in and out, but as far as I know that Daytona, the 'Bird and the convertible Daytona are all he drives around. The convertible is a 440-6 pack as I remember it...

Mike
He said the conv is a Hemi and he blew the motor about 6 years agao and wants to get it going soon.  The Hemi Bird pictures are at the beggining of the thread as he drives that and the Daytona around.  He paid big bucks for that Bird back in the day.  Did over 200mph on the salt flats and only has 4,000 miles on it now.

We did have one disagreement.  I have the black push buttons on my door handles and he said they should be chrome?  I thought black was correct for the 69?  Here's his door handle. I have the chrome ones put away, but I thought this was gone over on one of the threads and black was correct original?  He says No.

WingCharger

I thought black buttons were in '68 through early '69. And all after were chrome. :shruggy:

charger500440

Agree, some have the black but most are chrome. This is a common debate. Unless you know which was on your car originally, hard to argue with having either on the car now...

Mike
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 16, 2009, 10:24:16 AM
-

Mike
He said the conv is a Hemi and he blew the motor about 6 years agao and wants to get it going soon.  The Hemi Bird pictures are at the beggining of the thread as he drives that and the Daytona around.  He paid big bucks for that Bird back in the day.  Did over 200mph on the salt flats and only has 4,000 miles on it now.

We did have one disagreement.  I have the black push buttons on my door handles and he said they should be chrome?  I thought black was correct for the 69?  Here's his door handle. I have the chrome ones put away, but I thought this was gone over on one of the threads and black was correct original?  He says No.

It had to be a very early production date.. But, the norm is chrome for '69 and later...... There is one '69 I know about and have seen, the very first '69 Charger built, the red R/T. It has black buttons. Like I've stated though, norm = chrome. Wsa is the scheduled production date of your car?

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 16, 2009, 10:57:37 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 16, 2009, 10:24:16 AM
-

Mike

It had to be a very early production date.. But, the norm is chrome for '69 and later...... There is one '69 I know about and have seen, the very first '69 Charger built, the red R/T. It has black buttons. Like I've stated though, norm = chrome. Wsa is the scheduled production date of your car?

Troy
Nov 68, but this car has parts from all over.  I'm not saying they came with it originally, but they were on it when I got it.  It also had the chrome shifter and again I thought 69 had the wood grain?
He also pointed out I have a 68, the front upper header piece the grille bolts to, and a 68 wing nut for the tire tie down. Who knows?

tan top

good pictures  :yesnod:  good turn out of cars by the looks of it  :drool5: ...

about the door handle buttons  , what Troy  says  :yesnod: early 69s that were built 68 had them ...mine has   :yesnod:  & a ..scheduled production date of  November the 22nd 1968
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

Concerning the door handle... I'm sure there isn't some black-n-white where they stopped using the black knobs. I'm sure there wasn't some "door handle" police on the door's assembly line. I'm sure they just ran out when they ran out and then the new patches came in, they were all chrome. Different assembly plants may have run out at different times. Then, these things are 40 years old. Almost a half a century. Who knows what things they have had done to them. If anything's been "restored" at any part of it's existence, I'm sure the new door handles were the "NOS" ones we still can get today. With that being said, those handles are nothing more than left over truck door handles from the '70's and 80's.....

Troy
Troy

moparstuart

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 15, 2009, 07:51:05 PM
Well, as I said I would I went to the cruise night in Monroe Ct.  This is a pretty big show, but more Mopars seem to do the Derby Ct show Sunday eve.  As I said I would I introduced myself to Pete.  He has the Daytona and Hemi SuperBird and Hemi Daytona conv and who knows what else?  He tells me he doesn't work and owns a lot of toys.  I asked how this was possible and he held up his ringless fingers and said " No rings, just wings " . :smilielol:

Check out some of the shots.  Pete was awesome, we talked for a long time and he was happy to walk around my car and tear it apart. :icon_smile_wink:
I loved it, he showed me so many things.  All I can say is you Mopar guys that have been watching my restoration thread should be ashamed of yourselves.  Man he pointed out lots of stuff, but no one ever noticed I have a orange pie plate on my air cleaner instead of the correct red one?  :slap:

Compared to a car like Pete's, I felt like I had a old clunker.  His stuff is awesome and his knowledge is amazing.  I said Hello from all you guys and Chris from Satan.

Check out the pictures.

The blue Road Runner is " 68beepbeep " Steve from this site.
isnt this the playboy daytona
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Troy

Back N Black

I thought 68 and earlier had the red pie lid and 69 and newer had the orange pie tin??

FJ5WING

Quote from: Back N Black on May 16, 2009, 06:33:33 PM
I thought 68 and earlier had the red pie lid and 69 and newer had the orange pie tin??

:shruggy:

did he tell you why your orange tin was incorrect yet he has an orange tin?
wingless now, but still around.

hemi68charger

Quote from: FJ5WING on May 16, 2009, 07:01:43 PM

:shruggy:

did he tell you why your orange tin was incorrect yet he has an orange tin?

Pete's 440 looks to me it has a red tin.....
Troy

Just 6T9 CHGR

I think the orange/red tin is a matter of opinion anyway......I like orange....guess what color I have? ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemi68charger

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on May 16, 2009, 08:07:03 PM
I think the orange/red tin is a matter of opinion anyway......I like orange....guess what color I have? ;)

purple?  :nana:
Troy

Just 6T9 CHGR

It's reportedly the other way around
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69_500

My  :Twocents: on the whole black/chrome door handle issue. I have looked at 11 unrestored Charger 500's over the last 5-6 years, and this is one thing I tend to take note of. I can say of the 11 unrestored cars I have looked at all of them had black buttons on the door handles. However I can also attest to a survivor Daytona's having both black and chrome buttons on them. Would have to go back through the photo's to see the ratio, but I have yet to see a Charger 500 unrestored that has the chrome buttons. Now once a car has been restored, or messed with much all bets are off.

As far as the pie tin goes. I think that the Red would be correct for your car Rob. Once again basing this on unrestored vehicles I can say that I have seen them both ways on cars. However the majority of 69's had the RED pie tin not the orange one. Only cars I've noticed the orange pie tins on oddly enough are red cars.

GTX MATT

Hmmmmm I spy my car in one of those pics ('67 Satellite). The best thing about Pete is that hes not afraid to drive the cars and not afraid to drive them like they were meant to be driven. I keep bugging him about getting the convertable back on the road...

1969chargerrtse

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'll keep the black door buttons and later on switch to a red tin.  Pete showed me the Playboy issue and told me how he didn't know it at first and then added the fender scoops. He would of left them off if he knew it was the Playboy car from the start, which is missing them. He said that car is one of the first built and many things were kinda test fitted. He said it is one of a few that has a white stripe but green interior. Adding that most stripe colors match the interior. I guess there are about 4 or so done that way.