News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Newbie here! Problems with gas and temp gauge, HELP!

Started by ChargerandVette, May 17, 2009, 07:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerandVette

Hello all!  This is my first time posting on this forum.  I am glad to be here.  I see that there is a lot of valuable Charger information here.

I am working on a 69 Dodge Charger R/T with a 440 Maganum.  Here's the problem, when the ignition is turned on, the fuel gauge needle moves all the way to FULL then it pulsates between FULL and HALF a tank and the temp. gauge needle pegs to it's highest reading.

I replaced the original voltage regulator with recommended electronic one.  I also replaced the fuel gauge with a reproduction one just for my model and year car from Ye*rone.com.  The circuit board has continuity where it should and the rest of the gauges work fine.  All the gauges were working fine up until a month ago.  That's when I changed the ignition system from points to electronic if that has anything to do with it.

The electronic voltage regulator seems to put out more than 5 volts!?  My digital test meter shows that the voltage gets up to 7 point something volts then it fluctuates down to much lower voltage readings.  The source voltage is 12 volts and the circuit board is well grounded.  If I unplug the sending unit wire, the fuel gauge won't do anything.  At the gas tank, if I unhook the sending unit wire and connect it to ground, the needle pulsates between 1/2 and a full tank again.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing this?  I've been trying to solve this problem for 3 weeks now!  Thanks for reading this and thanks for your answers guys.  I have no idea what to try next! :popcrn:

mikepmcs

I don't know the answer off hand but just wanted to welcome you to the site.
:wave:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

ChargerandVette

rikubot

I'm having similar problems, just wondering if you'd figured it out.

-Mike
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 17, 2009, 08:16:46 PM
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Your signature is amazing.
'69 Charger, 440/727

AKcharger

Hi Rikubot

Lesson one with chargers is "new" reproduction parts does not guarantee it will work properly. I'd say my batting avg is about 90% for new parts working. So just because you replaced a part don't rule out that part is still bad.

I'm thinking that lil' voltage regulator on the circuit board is still in play here...

charger Downunder

[/quote]