News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 Torqueflight transmission problems help

Started by charger2fast4u, May 20, 2009, 07:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

thanks for all the information and suggestions everyone. now that i know it is internally damaged i decided to order a keisler tko600 and swap in. should be here in 2 weeks  :drool5: i figured if i got to spend the money on a rebuild i mise well go with what i wanted to do from the day i got the car. just didn't expect to be doing it so soon and under the circumstances of breaking it. i'm sure i will have some questions on the installation so i will make a new thread when i get it.

jsfury

Hello my fellow MoPar heads. I have a transmission problem that has got me stumped and I was wondering if any of you out there might be able to help me. Last march I blew the 727 automatic trans. in my '75 Dodge D200. I have had in my mechanics garage for the last three days replacing the blown one with another 727 I had saved out of my '73 Plymouth that was working when I removed it from that car.

My problem is it won't shift out of first gear. If anyone can help me with this so I can get my truck back on the road it would be greatly appreciated. The two questions I have regarding this problem is; A.) Why will it not shift from first to second and up, and B.) is this something that will be hard to correct?  What actually makes these 727's shift? There's no modulator valves on them like the '70's GM trans.

Thank you again for any info you can provide me.

John_Kunkel

Welcome to the board.

First, be sure the TP (kickdown) linkage isn't the problem by disconnecting it at the transmission lever and allowing the lever to come full forward. If it still won't upshift, the problem is most likely in the governor; there is a governor test port in the tailhousing, a pressure gauge hooked to the port should show about 1 psi for each mph. If the pressure is low it won't upshift.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.