News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ride height and torsion bar adjustment b-body

Started by DJF, May 31, 2009, 01:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJF

Hello,

I have noticed that my car sits.. well kinda odd compared to others. The backseems a bit on the high side and then so does the front. Thought i was imagining things but I took a look and at the rear end, somone in the life of this car has lengthened the shackles that hold the leaf springs in at the back. Why would somone do that? The front end also looks heigh! Im assuming the torsion bar at the front will have some thing to do with this? Does anyone know the correct specifications and could anyone tell me how I would go about this?

Any info is welcome :-)

R2

Lowering and raising the front is pretty easy.  There is a large bolt on each side,,,,loosen to lower it,,,,tighten to raise the car.
You need to jack the car up ( ie,,,get it off the front tires ),,,, before you start to adjust the bolts,,,,
You might want to measure the front end height first,,,,then you can compare it as you adjust it,,,,,

Not sure what the correct "height specs are"....maybe find some pics of various cars you like,,,,and try and match to that look.

ps,,,,you alignment will likely change as you change the ride height,,,,,ie, after you set the height,,,,you might need to get it aligned.

good luck.

NHCharger

This thread will show you how to lower the front end.
My Dodge service manual doesn't give a specific ride height.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,55908.0.html
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Mike DC

There is an official "correct" factory height listed in some of the manuals.  (They arrive at it by measuring the distance from the ground at the inner pivot point and the outer balljoint end & outer ends of the LCA, and then figuring out the difference between them.)

-------------------------------------------------

But public opinion has spoken a long time ago that we really prefer something a bit lower than the stock front end height.  If you lined up a truly stock-height front end next to a slightly lowered one at a show, the stock height car is the one that would look a bit "off" to most people. 

(Think:  The original "Vanishing Point" 1970 Chally, in the cross-country fast driving footage.  It often seems to be sitting a bit high in front, doesn't it?  Well, that's the true stock height settings at both ends of the car.)

b5blue

DJF