News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Changing out power drums------Question?

Started by 1970Moparmann, June 01, 2009, 08:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

My 68 currently has 4 wheel power drums.  I'm looking at converting the front over the disc.  Is it worth doing the back at the same time? 
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Ghoste

You could end up getting a lot of different answers to this one but in my opinion, no.  Unless you are using the car hard enough to warrant having rear discs the extra cost of converting them over isn't worth it.  The fronts do most of the stopping (which is why so many new vehicles even yet retain the front disc/rear drum setup.  On the other hand, if you are using the car that hard or are going for the pro tour look and aren't too worried about potential negative impact on the vehicle then go for it.
(the potential negative impact thing is relative from my own opinion btw, proponents of rear discs would obviously see it as a beneficial impact)

bull

I agree. They look cool but if you're concerned about performance the fronts do almost all the work so rear discs are overkill IMO unless you're planning on doing some drifting competitions. The cost to benefit ratio does not make it worth doing, But like I said, they do look cool. :2thumbs: