News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It's here, My new Daytona

Started by hemi68charger, June 01, 2009, 12:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: 68charger383 on June 20, 2009, 10:27:25 PM
...  Are you really selling this one to get a 4spd, that would be a smooth move and a car I'd rather have as well. 

Yeap, that's the game plan. The cards I was dealt earlier wasn't producing a winner (4-speed Daytona or multiple Chargers). So, I asked the dealer for a new hand ( A pretty much done Daytona ). This way, I have something to deal with sooner. Yes, the '68 on its own merit would be worthy of a Daytona, but to get it done, running and REALLY marketable would have cost me nearly two more years and a lot more money. The later in this day and age is in short supply and the former? Well, I was tired of waiting. Now, regardless of any future outcome, I have a Daytona and it's in my garage. I can go out there in the middle of the night if I want and look at it. I can just open the door and sit in it or take my 3 year old Julie out in a spin in "'Tona" as she calls it.

Others on moparts seem to think I sold out my dream (hence the induced drama by others). Well, they aren't the ones with a winged Dodge in their garage. I have and will always have a Daytona. See, I did make my dream come true. Will it remain to be this one? That remains to be seen. But, I'm still having fun improving her with an NOS mirror, fixing things here and there and basically making her better.

So, the saga continues.....  If others wanna live vicariously through me, that's cool. Lord knows I do it via Geno's restoration, Jim's aero's and Allen's C500 resto. I too root for Danny to get his Daytona one day and Paul to get that C500 of his in a nice shiny coat of T7. But, as I follow all of them, I cheer them on, not cut them down.
Thanks for the question.

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Aero426

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 20, 2009, 10:31:54 AM
I see similarites as like with the daytona shiplist That Greg K only possesed it which had #385 cars.And after a vin rubbing of your cars vin.You got only your cars dealer selling info period.Mighty Mopars aurthor Anthony Young steps up and has samelist with the new # 501 cars.And made it available and possible from his contribution .That you could [LEARN ] from it as to how many daytonas 426 and 440s went to what states and in what numbers .Also you could [LEARN] the dealer numbers and dealers name.And [Learn if you car was missing a fender tag and buildsheet you [LEARN from this sheet your 926 Job Number

Dave, the scenario you described was not my experience.    Greg gave me all the info from the page on my car including the build date and the s/o number.    As to how Greg controlled the list, that was more for protection of the existing cars, versus just putting all the build dates and s/o numbers out there.    In other words,  you got the information you needed to know for your car, but not someone elses.   

For the record, Greg made zero dollars off that list and will still provide the service.   I am sure if you do not have your build date and s/o number, he will provide it to you.   

Neal_J

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 21, 2009, 06:36:04 AM
If others wanna live vicariously through me, that's cool. Troy

And we do!!  Troy for President!!

Neal

nascarxx29

Aero 426 in regards to the shiplist.If I remeber correctly in the time line order of events leading up to before Greg K had the #385 daytona shiplist.Is that Mighty Mopars Anthony Young had made mention in his book as the first daytona went to Kingston Ontario Canada and last Daytona Lafayette IN .It was right there I knew there was something of a document as to how Anthony Young could have dictated that order of those cars.It was later when I saw on a newsletter Greg K had the #385 list .But it wasnt totally available in its entirety.Just the page a particular car was on .That had the current info dealer # job # vin dealer and dealer location.At that time there wasnt away I knew of to get the full#385 list of dealer locations job number vin sequences to see how many daytonas 426 & 440 and what states they went.It just wasnt made available in its entirety.It wasnt till Anthony Young which know had a similar list but it know had #501 cars and made it available in its entirety .Thats how I recall it transpired .Correct me if I wrong .That how I believe it was as I recalled .If its incorrect in anyway .Please correct my mistake
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Aero426

I'm not sure of the timeline of who had what list first is relevant.   The first I heard of the 385 car Daytona Shipments List is when it surfaced in Greg's hands.    Mr. Young's generous donation of the more complete copy to the Winged Warriors came later.   He certainly may have had that copy in his posession for some time prior. 

As to the parting of the Red Sea with the full list being available, I will mention that to get the list,  you needed to be a member of Winged Warriors and receive the newsletter over a period of time to get the list a couple pages at a time.  Just to be clear, I have no problem with that.   Since the publication in the newsletter, "The List" list has not been offered in any other way.    So it is not like you can obtain the full list today.   

Dave, my main reason for responding was that it appeared to me you had an axe to grind over the way Greg Kwiatkowski controlled the flow of information.     I am sure you are aware that Greg has made more wing car archive and factory paperwork available to the hobby than anyone else.     This includes many of the factory documents and photos on the Aerowarriors.com website that you are able to right click and save.

nascarxx29

Aero 426.Thats not what I was trying to express .Ive seen and read and collected from both clubs what ever Greg K furnished from what I know he has a vast collection.I just recall first hint of a list possibilty in the Anthony Young Mighty Mopar book.And Greg had same item but not available in its total entirety.Now I have seen this engineering superbird paperwork mentioned as suppose to be available.I havent seen it have you .If so where can it be seen

Speaking of early superbird development pictures didnt .Ken N obtain some.From a ebay auction sometime back .And vowed to furnish all those pictures for all to see on the website

Ebay Superbird Engineering drawings
« on: June 08, 2007, 05:32:32 AM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are they still going to be seen on the aero warriors site.

Question & Answer Answered On ebay on the booklet

Q:  Your photos are not in focus. Will you reshoot them please. What is the history of this booklet? Did it come from the factory? Apr-28-07
A:   I included two more pictures however they are not the best due to my camera. One is of the nose cone and the other is of the installation instructions. I bought this information from a collector back in 1981. Thanks.
Q:  hello, im starting to build a 1970 superbird replica for my 80 year old father,[he had one of these cars in the early 70's],is it possible to buy a set of copys of your orignal blueprints,it would be a shame for me to buy these and ruin them building a car, as these are to important to a real superbird owner thanks for your time,tommy Apr-28-07
A:   Because of the age of these prints I do not want to start making copies of them. Someone else asked the same question and I gave them the same respose. Thanks for asking and good luck.
Q:  could you please tell me how many pages are in this blue print booklet and dose it cover the complete superbird change over or just the nose cone area Thank You Rob Apr-27-07
A:   These prints cover everything. NASCAR part installation, Lynch Rd. Installation, nose cone, wiring harness, wing struts, etc. Most of the dates on the prints are 9-26-69 so you know they are from the time frame. Thanks.
Q:  how many pages are included in the binder?? What else is included in the binder?? Are you going to be at the mopar swap meet this Sunday at Centerline?? If you are I would like to see it to see if I am interested in bidding on this. Thanks Dale Apr-26-07
A:   I don't have a count on the pages. But to estimate there a about 80-100 prints of the pieces and installation instructions. There is nothing else included but what is described. I was not going to attend the swat meet. Trust me, you won't be disapointed in this piece of history. Thanks. Depending on the day/time I may be willing to meet closer to my location so you can see this

hemi68charger

Don't take this the wrong way, but we're getting off course.......... We're talking about this.

Jacob on the wing............

and "Tona with the 426 hemi it had in it when Pete owned it in England..

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

nascarxx29

Thats cool I like that wing sitter pose I done those a few times before Ted Janaks daughter back in 80 my girlfriends Grandson and a few others.On another note Didnt find my copy but it was 1984 When Anthony Young editor of Mighty Mopars.That dicated where the first and last daytona was shipped to as to a shiplist might have existed by his mention of where 2 daytonas where shipped to.That matched up with the info on the 385 list.And that 385 daytona shiplist list cameout sometime later after
http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Mopars-1960-1974-Tony-Young/dp/0879381248

General_01

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 22, 2009, 05:06:32 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but we're getting off course.......... We're talking about this.

Troy

And years from now he is gonna look at that pic and say "Why did you sell my car Dad?"  :icon_smile_big:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

WINGR

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 22, 2009, 05:06:32 PM

Troy

Cool picture Troy, I'm sure Jacob is enjoying the car almost as much as you are. Congrats again. :2thumbs: :cheers:

WINGR/Steve

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Going over the documents I was given with the car I noticed on the folder previous owners. One was apparently Jeff Michaels who was part of a singing band in which possibly 3 band members had wing cars, 2 Daytonas and a Superbird. Think one of the brothers was Terry Michaels. I've heard some others mention this about the car, guess this adds some validity to this. Seems maybe an Andy French in 1973 owned it?

Guess it's time to play Sherlock Holmes on the broadcast sheet.

Troy
Troy

nascarxx29

Good info :2thumbs: thanks for sharing.Do you know what states the prior owners lived in

hemi68charger

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 25, 2009, 04:40:48 PM
Good info :2thumbs: thanks for sharing.Do you know what states the prior owners lived in

I believe the car's originally out of Indiana, I know it's been in California and England and now Tejas.  :icon_smile_big:

I'm really diggin' this thing......... Maybe the French is Gary French's brother?  :icon_smile_question:

Cheers,
Troy
Troy

FJ5WING

thats cool stuff.

I have two different reciepts with names i got in a box of parts with my car from when the car was in Illinois. I never did pursue the names past the phonebook.
wingless now, but still around.

nascarxx29

Dave PM me any info you got to work with.Also I might be able get it run .And see what comes up prior to you

WINGR

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 25, 2009, 04:32:35 PM
Hey gang..
Going over the documents I was given with the car I noticed on the folder previous owners. One was apparently Jeff Michaels who was part of a singing band in which possibly 3 band members had wing cars, 2 Daytonas and a Superbird. Think one of the brothers was Terry Michaels. I've heard some others mention this about the car, guess this adds some validity to this. Seems maybe an Andy French in 1973 owned it?

Guess it's time to play Sherlock Holmes on the broadcast sheet.

Troy

Hey Troy, awhile back I actually talked to Terry Michaels in regards to his Daytona and he mentioned that a couple of the other guys in his band had one as well back then. I thought he said that they all purchased them from Kentucky but you never know for they could have been dealer traded or something. I was looking for his number but have not found it yet. You can probably find it on yellow pages website for Paducah, KY. Good Luck on the hunt. :2thumbs:

WINGR/Steve

nascarxx29

I know of a daytona thats a 1 owner and sold new in Kentucky owned by Leon Japser.Not sure if its contacted to any band

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21725.0.html

73TXRallye440

hemi68charger

Quote from: 73TXRallye440 on October 09, 2009, 09:09:13 PM
congrats on the daytona troy :cheers:

Thanks a lot..
For all those that were disappointed in me that I contemplated selling the Daytona to get Doug's, well, that's history now and has been for awhile. Granted, I would LOVE to own a 4-speed Daytona (who wouldn't?) Maybe if something was to translate into something of a 4-gear without me having to bend over backwards, then so be it. But, in the meantime, I'm thoroughly enjoying the HECK out of this one. More and more, I do a little detailing here and there to make her even better. Getting her ready now for 'Dega...

Troy
Troy

500Jon

Fantastic story Troy!!!

This thread has been quiet for a while so I thought I would say Happy New Year to you and your Daytona!
Like most Mopar Folks, we all wanted a Wingcar, now I'm a Plymouth man myself, BUT...........
For me the C500 and Daytona are far more important in the Nascar Story.
Superbirds were very successful, but.... C5oo's started the ball rolling!!!

If I was lucky enough to own a S-Bird, then I would always want to trade up to a Daytona.

Then there's the Hemi's and then there are Hemi-4speeds!!!

Its the MoparLadder, I've always enjoyed being on it, at every step there is ENJOYMENT!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

HNY to Troy
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

500Jon

OOPs forget what I was writing about!

How did the Daytona and Superbird get HOME???

Well let me start with the Superbird.
A I of 28 petty-blue Bird, brought to England by the late Tony Dixon.
He was a London-Town Lawyer (I believe) who bought an American magazine back in the 80's and thought, BUSINESS VENTURE!!!
Sold up his London home and moved to sunny Kent (near me) and started an import business for American cars.
He bought the PB Bird in for a client in London also named John, (back in the 80's)
He was a car painter by trade and it was the ERA of Red and/or Yellow Mopars?
Anyways there were many Wingcars in London-Town at that time and they all met at the Chelsea Cruise!
I knew John quite well and always said that if he ever sold I would love to buy the car from him.
The PB-Bird changed hands several times and each time I missed out!
Fast Forward to 2009 and my good friend Julius wants me a to appraise Pete Wiseman's Wingcars for him.
I hadn't seen the Bird since 1989 and I was so pleased to see her again all done in Petty-Blue!

I was so sad inside to think that she could of been mine (and NOT going back) that I had mixed emotions.
It was not a good idea at all, me appraising these Wingcars due to my personal feelings.
I was tempted to say to Julius that the cars were not 100%(which they weren't) and not worth the $350,000 he was paying!!! :scratchchin:

In the end I just told him they were fine and the rest is history......well almost................. :slap:
There are more things that happened along the way, that cannot be discussed on open Forum.

Lets just say that Julius is a perfect gentleman and will always see Folks right!!!

For me its the end of an ERA, no more PB-Bird for me to hope to buy.............. ::)
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

daytonalo

I truly think this is one of the nicest Daytona I have  seen online !! Would you be so kind to inform me if the magnums are 15x7 or 15 x 8 ? Also what are the  Goodyears on that ? In my opinion that tire wheel combo is the best by far !! Its been 30 years since I have driven on belted tires , what are they like in the real world as in 60-120 MPH ?

Larry

hemi68charger

Quote from: daytonalo on January 03, 2015, 09:38:49 PM
I truly think this is one of the nicest Daytona I have  seen online !! Would you be so kind to inform me if the magnums are 15x7 or 15 x 8 ? Also what are the  Goodyears on that ? In my opinion that tire wheel combo is the best by far !! Its been 30 years since I have driven on belted tires , what are they like in the real world as in 60-120 MPH ?

Larry

Larry, are you referring to the bias-ply I had on my Daytona when I first got it in these pictures? If so, the wheels are 15x8.... The tires maylook good, but they suck compared to today's radial technology. I now have the 15x8 black NASCAR slotted steelies with Goodyear 255/60R/15's.... Much better....
Troy

daytonalo

Thanks for the reply and yes I'm well aware of modern tires but those old Goodyears look so GOOD !!!! What size are the Magnums front and rear please . They look like 15x 7 ? What size goodyears are they ?

hemi68charger

Quote from: daytonalo on January 03, 2015, 11:01:44 PM
Thanks for the reply and yes I'm well aware of modern tires but those old Goodyears look so GOOD !!!! What size are the Magnums front and rear please . They look like 15x 7 ? What size goodyears are they ?

Larry, they are the 15x8's all the way around with a 4.5" backspacing. The tires were F-60-15's I believe.
Troy