News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS ELECTRICAL ISSUE MAYBE

Started by kevs1969daytona, May 29, 2019, 10:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevs1969daytona

So I driving down the road, come to a Red light engine stops, starts up again, but need to rev the hell out of it.  Go home car fine WFT.  So I take it out again, all is good, then it dies again, but I notice that when I turn the ignition key all the way to the right, it works runs, but put the key back into regular running position it dies.  Drive it home with ignition key to the right let (as if I am starting it).  Got back into the garage regular running position and it's fine again.  :shruggy:  

70 sublime

Ballast resistor dieing ??

When the key is turned all the way to start position it bypasses the resistor to give straight 12 volts for starting
When key is in run position it goes through resistor

Or the key part of the wiring harness is worn
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Gold Rush

Since the problem appears intermittent, I'd suspect connection issues first.  Bulkhead or ballast resister would be the two most likely places to check.
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

b5blue

kevs1969daytona

Thanks guys thinking of replacing ballistic resistor and even a new ECM.  This car is a pain in my ass.

b5blue

I had a bad switch that dead spotted right at run-start boundary intermittently. (Mine is a 70 though.) Tug test ignition wire crimps at the bulkhead connectors to be sure they are tight. (I had a new harness with loose crimp to connector.)   :scratchchin: 

John_Kunkel

I'm wondering how you drove home with the switch in Start, kinda hard on the starter.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

70 sublime

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 30, 2019, 12:21:19 PM
I'm wondering how you drove home with the switch in Start, kinda hard on the starter.

Was thinking the same thing
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

kevs1969daytona

Just turned it enough to not engage the starter, Shifter with my left hand, was maybe 1 block away from the acreage.

Gold Rush

That is sounding more and more lie a sloppy ignition switch....  :popcrn:
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

kevs1969daytona

Figured it out was not electrical was my fuel filter too close to the block, it melted the plastic filter was getting vapor lock.  Must have been a coincidence the ignition key turned at same time it came back to life.

b5blue